Is a fifth gate even possible?

CP_alum08

Just imagine how long it would take! SWGE has taken 4+ years since announcement (I believe it was 2015 right?) to build 14 acres and a single ride. MK is over 100 acres...at that rate it would take almost 30 years to build a 5th gate similarly sized to MK.

AnonymousStitch

Or the Universe of Energy which nobody went into to begin with? Get real!
Was that suppose to be sarcasm? Cause if it is not, then what you said was not true. If they didn't go into it to begin with, then there wouldn't be videos recordings of the ride on Youtube. Also for the record, what you say you stated, "such a park won't exist", is not a real answer and it's not the truth, because no one, not even you, really knows that. Sorry to point this out.

Last edited:

bcoachable

A bit of a bump- but there was some discussion in a few other threads...so I’ll use that as my excuse ;)

fifth gate to keep guests in the bubble longer?
Or third resort somewhere mid nation, in order to draw week long vacationers to a new resort?
What would be the prudent move, if you were the CEO and you had to do one or the other to please the Board?
What new IP would you go after to fill it? Or do you have enough, if your west of the Mississippi?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Neither

Option $: charge more for everything at the places they already got

1621482561519.jpeg

Robbiem

A bit of a bump- but there was some discussion in a few other threads...so I’ll use that as my excuse ;)

Or third resort somewhere mid nation, in order to draw week long vacationers to a new resort?
What would be the prudent move, if you were the CEO and you had to do one or the other to please the Board?
What new IP would you go after to fill it? Or do you have enough, if your west of the Mississippi?
I don’t see a third US resort. A week long resort would require a huge investment and I suspect if Disney wanted to spend sort of money this they’d go for another overseas resort. Maybe India, South Korea or a third Chinese resort.
Similarly I think a fifth park in WDW wouldn’t draw enough additional guests although they may do something to counter Universal I guess. It will be interesting to see how the star wars hotel plays out as I could see a separate ticketed boutique ‘adventure park’ being a possible fifth gate

The longest shot but the thing id most like to see would be a full build out in Hong Kong. I know it will almost certainly never happen but this could be such a beautiful resort if it was built out

ppete1975

In theory. They need another park outside of the two, based in the US. But thats long term thinking. Eventually global warming is going to take out florida or at least enough of it to make DW not the same. One big earthquake and you lose disneyland plus the infrastructure around it.

Logically Texas is the most logical. Airports all around, 12 months of good weather, and almost equal distance between the two parks. Build it in the middle and utilize the population, transportation, and airports of houston dallas austin and san antonio.. which would also mean cheap cheap land.

But that would be full castle park.. but i dont think anyone is thinking about future contingencies so lets cross that off the list.

The smarter play would have been to put the star wars hotel in texas, and a few other cheaper star wars themed hotels minus the over the top cosplay, build a new hope era land with a few rides. Make it a 2-3 day
star wars travel vacation.
Maybe add a disney water park and mini golf course and BAM print money.

But... to answer your question.... nothing is changing anytime soon as in 20 years.

GraysonsDad

Interesting questions...

I don't think a 3rd location would work- it would just pull visitors from the other 2 locations. Disney is a week (or more) long excursion for a ton of people, adding a 3rd location wouldn't necessarily increase the number of total visitors (other than maybe the locals to that area). Take Texas for example- people that are flying to Orlando may switch to Texas instead, but that takes away from Orlando so it's not a gain. Now, Texas may gain a few daily visitors that are local residents, but is that worth it? Probably not in my opinion.

As for a 5th gate, I don't see that happening either- I would reference several of the previous posts on that.

I would build up California somehow. I know it's pretty well locked from a location standpoint, no real room to expand. I would be creative and try to figure out a way to turn Disneyland into more of a similar destination to Orlando.

AugieMorosco

Interesting questions...

I don't think a 3rd location would work- it would just pull visitors from the other 2 locations. Disney is a week (or more) long excursion for a ton of people, adding a 3rd location wouldn't necessarily increase the number of total visitors (other than maybe the locals to that area). Take Texas for example- people that are flying to Orlando may switch to Texas instead, but that takes away from Orlando so it's not a gain. Now, Texas may gain a few daily visitors that are local residents, but is that worth it? Probably not in my opinion.

As for a 5th gate, I don't see that happening either- I would reference several of the previous posts on that.

I would build up California somehow. I know it's pretty well locked from a location standpoint, no real room to expand. I would be creative and try to figure out a way to turn Disneyland into more of a similar destination to Orlando.
I agree that you'd cannibalize your own business with a 3rd location. I don't think building up Disneyland is realistic. You need space for expansion and resorts to create the bubble. They just don't have it available. The only real expansion option I could see is to continue building up WDW. They have the land and infrastructure in place.

Heppenheimer

I agree that you'd cannibalize your own business with a 3rd location. I don't think building up Disneyland is realistic. You need space for expansion and resorts to create the bubble. They just don't have it available. The only real expansion option I could see is to continue building up WDW. They have the land and infrastructure in place.
Didn't Disneyland already announce an expansion? It still needs city approval, but if anything, the last year seems to have shown just how much Anaheim needs Disneyland.

doctornick

Obviously a third domestic location ain't happening. That said, I think an interesting thought exercise is imagining what a third resort in the US would look like. Say, in Texas, which would certainly seem the most logical location.

The first (only?) park would of course be a castle park. And it would obviously be underbuilt as all new Disney parks are these days. But what might be interesting is if they filled its roster not with duplicating what is in Florida or California but with attractions that are only at the international resorts (or *gasp* new and unique). Doing stuff like:

Shanghai POTC instead of classic pirates
Mystic Manor (perhaps instead of Haunted Mansion though I think they are pretty different)
Grizzly Mountain instead of BTMRR. Or the Paris version of BTRMM going onto the island
Roaring Rapids
Sinbad ride (maybe in Adventureland?)
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Fantasyland featuring Honey Hunt, Alice labyrinth, the Tangled ride from Fantasy Springs, the BatB ride from Tokyo, Wandering Oaken's Sleighs, Peter Pan's flight from Shanghai, etc.
Monsters Ride and go seek
Marvel land with stuff like Iron Man Experience or the Iron Man RNR from Paris, Nano Battle

I'm not saying that they couldn't or shouldn't use attractions from WDW/DLR but it is interesting that they could make a pretty unique park by copying offerings at the international parks.

bryanfze55

Obviously a third domestic location ain't happening. That said, I think an interesting thought exercise is imagining what a third resort in the US would look like. Say, in Texas, which would certainly seem the most logical location.

The first (only?) park would of course be a castle park. And it would obviously be underbuilt as all new Disney parks are these days. But what might be interesting is if they filled its roster not with duplicating what is in Florida or California but with attractions that are only at the international resorts (or *gasp* new and unique). Doing stuff like:

Shanghai POTC instead of classic pirates
Mystic Manor (perhaps instead of Haunted Mansion though I think they are pretty different)
Grizzly Mountain instead of BTMRR. Or the Paris version of BTRMM going onto the island
Roaring Rapids
Sinbad ride (maybe in Adventureland?)
Journey to the Center of the Earth
Fantasyland featuring Honey Hunt, Alice labyrinth, the Tangled ride from Fantasy Springs, the BatB ride from Tokyo, Wandering Oaken's Sleighs, Peter Pan's flight from Shanghai, etc.
Monsters Ride and go seek
Marvel land with stuff like Iron Man Experience or the Iron Man RNR from Paris, Nano Battle

I'm not saying that they couldn't or shouldn't use attractions from WDW/DLR but it is interesting that they could make a pretty unique park by copying offerings at the international parks.
That would be amazing.

But why build Mystic Manor or Pooh’s Hunny Hunt when people will already be knocking down your doors for Alien Swirling Saucers?

AugieMorosco

Didn't Disneyland already announce an expansion? It still needs city approval, but if anything, the last year seems to have shown just how much Anaheim needs Disneyland.
They had that area of Downtown Disney that was supposed to be expanded, then there was trouble with Anaheim over permits or taxes or something and it didn't happen. Now I believe they're trying to get permission to expand however they'd like without city approval for specific land use. Something like that. I should have clarified that obviously they can expand some, but I think it's too limited to really go very far or build a bubble destination resort like WDW. That said, I love Disneyland and I would like to see more built in California, however they can manage to do it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Any new parks in Orlando would be canibalizing the other 4...

there is a finite amount of time that the average customer will invest (not to mention cash) for a vacation.

when mgm opened...the overlords saw average vacation time go up almost 2 full days...the dawn of the “Uber resort”...

so when dak opened...they expected the same. It hit the wall and went up less than a day. For a huge billions of dollar expansion plan.

why? Because it hit the 7 day “wall”.

I don’t have access to that data (now)...but I bet it’s the same. Which also explains why they shifted away from trying to get frequent offenders There all the time to more “quick strike”...one timers. Diminishing returns.

there’s no need to pay, staff, and attempt to convince people they need yet another magic kingdom to go to.

Uncle Scrooge

Personally I don't expect Disney to build a 5th gate in Florida. I think the expense would be too great and not worth it given the expansion opportunities at existing parks. With Space Mountain and Tron Magic kingdom is already demonstrating that they will build outside the perimeter of the railway which opens up the possibility of using land behind Rivers of America and Fantasyland for expansion. EPCOT has always had scope for expansion in World Showcase, Hollywood Studios can be further expanded particularly if parking garages are built to replace the existing lots thus freeing up space.

In terms of what I would want to see at a 5th gate. I have a few ideas. Firstly, Disney through the ages with lands themed around the different eras of animation through to the IP acquisitions in the 21st century. Secondly an IP park so all things Star Wars, Pixar, Marvel in one place. Fully immersive experiences with massive areas dedicated to multiple planets/characters/films from each IP. Thirdly a smaller, park specifically designed for younger children using the characters that resonate the most. Not exactly a Disney Junior Park but more using the likes of Winnie The Pooh, Snow White, Pinocchio sprinkled in with the current crop of Disney Jr type characters. Like a hge Fantasyland experience specifically for small children

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom