iPhone vs. Android

Steve-B

Original Poster
I need some opinions on which of these to make my next phone purchase. I would like to hear from some of you who have owned or used both, but I welcome opinions from anyone who has used either one.

Thanks!

jeffk410

IMO it depends on how much you text / send emails. The droid phones with keyboards are elite for these two vs. the Iphone, but the Iphone obviously has more apps. It really is all just preference. goodluck.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I have used them both and each come with their pros and cons.

The biggest cons I have found for the iPhone for me at least is an overloaded network, no physical keyboard, no flash support and Job's my way or the highway mentality. The iphone does have the most apps (best apps is debatable) and due to it being the first to the dace everything starts with the iphone and then goes to everything else. After 4 versions they also do seem to currently have the most solid system.

With Android you have an enormous amount of choice. To a point you can get almost any size, any format, phone on any network. You want big and no keyboard someone has it, small with a keyboard is there too and so on. The android marketplace and their market share is growing at a very rapid pace. It is quite conceivable that Android will pass the iPhone in every way save for profit margin in the not so distant future. The big con with Android is you have to do your homework when buying a phone. So many of the android phones are shipped with old software and are not currently upgradeable. You will want to make sure that you get a phone that will ship or can be instantly upgraded to the latest OS.

Another thing to consider is that Windows phone 7 is also now available. While I have yet to get my hands on one they have been getting very favorable reviews.

dr_teeth90210

My wife and I both got Droids last December. Both have had so many issues. We eventually had to have them replaced. Now this is the actual hardware but the software, Android version 2.2, has been extremely buggy for us, being very slow and apps constantly force closing.

I haven't owned a iphone so I can't say it's any better. All my other apple products I've been extremely happy with. If Iphone came to Verizon I would throw my droid away.

Lee

Adventurer
I own an iPhone, but work for a company that is heavily invested in Android.

I like them both. iPhone is easy to use, but Android is more customizable.

The new Windows phones will be cool. I got an advance hands-on with one last week, and can say that the new Windows mobile OS is by far the best and easiest they have done yet. Definitely worth a look.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's much like the personal computer choice.

iPhone is your Mac, where hardware and software are designed by the same people and work perfectly together.

Android is your Windows, where hardware and software are more open and built by independent designers.

This gives the iPhone a more robust and integrated model of "it just works", but loses the customization capabilities of Android.

I personally use the iPhone and would recommend it over anything else.

And if you're looking for a killer reason to get an iPhone, all the current and upcoming WDWMAGIC apps are going to be on iPhone ;) LOL

Mikester71

I have the iPhone 4 while my wife ended up getting an Android phone (Sony Xperia x10). Both good phones, but my wife wished she would have held out for the iPhone instead. Had a buddy who was torn and was REALLY leaning towards the Xperia x10, so let him play around with both our phones and he went iPhone too. Said he is VERY glad he did too!

:sohappy:

Mikester71

Oh yeah...funny thing is I have never been a big Mac fanboy; Windows all the way for me. Hated iTunes the first week I loaded it after getting the iPhone, but have slowly grown to like it and use it as my main music player and syncing option over WMP now.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm an iPhone fan. I found the on-screen keyboard to be my lifesaver. I can't use the tiny physical keyboards that are out there now but I quickly learned the ins and outs of the touch screen keyboard and now type nearly as fast on my iPhone as I do on my PC at home.

I never saw a need to be able to customize the phone, but if you really think it's important you have the option to jailbreak your iPhone. Again, I've never seen the need.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
It's much like the personal computer choice.

iPhone is your Mac, where hardware and software are designed by the same people and work perfectly together.

Android is your Windows, where hardware and software are more open and built by independent designers.

This gives the iPhone a more robust and integrated model of "it just works", but loses the customization capabilities of Android.

I personally use the iPhone and would recommend it over anything else.

And if you're looking for a killer reason to get an iPhone, all the current and upcoming WDWMAGIC apps are going to be on iPhone ;) LOL
Does that make Windows Phone 7 like Ubuntu?:lol:

wvdisneyfamily

I debated the iPhone for a long time as I'm not crazy about ATT. I was an Alltel customer and had no complaints with them. Verizon...well...I turned my house phone over to a cable company because of Verizon. As a cellular provider, they are just as bad. The billing is inconsistent; there are lots of hidden fees; customer service has a lot to be desired; many of the phones on Verizon are not the best quality. That motivated me to go to ATT as they are the big two providers around here. ATT service is hit and miss. I think the 3G could be better and more widespread. However, the iPhone is incredible. Granted, I'm a Mac convert - been PC free (other than work) for almost a year. I was reluctant to go to the Mac because I grew up using Windows based OS. However, the Mac is so much more user friendly. The same is true with the iPhone. It does have flaws. There are things I do not like about the iPhone. The pros outweigh the cons by far. My husband has used a Droid and did like it, but enjoys the iPhone far more. The touch screen on the iPhone is very good so the keyboard thing isn't a big deal.

End point - if you get an Android, go with someone not Verizon. If you buy an iPhone, they are great and highly addicting. Invest in a car charger for you iPhone because it will eat the batteries.

Steve-B

Original Poster
Actually, the main reason I am thinking seriously about an iPhone is because there are so many Disney-centered apps out there. I have several on my iPod now, but I don't plan to take it to the parks next time. However, I will have some sort of phone on me.
Both of my daughters have iPhones, and both had some "issues" on the last upgrade (but so did a lot of other folks). I haven't heard any complaints from them for awhile now, so maybe everything has smoothed out.
The reason I'm considering an Android is because I talked to a friend who has both - the iPhone is supplied by his company and his personal phone is an Android - he said he wouldn't have an iPhone if his company didn't require it. He also told me that AT&T is discontinuing "unlimited" internet upon renewal of our current contract - i.e. pay more for service we're currently getting for a modest charge.
Another reason is that I don't like having my iPod slaved to my computer (I know I can jailbreak it, but I'm not quite that "techy") via iTunes, and I would probably dislike my phone being the same way. Friend assured me that all upgrades, apps, etc. are downloaded straight to the Android, without having to be synced to a computer.

I plan to do more research on my own, but I always like to get other peoples' opinions before I spend a lot of money.

DisneyJoe

Another reason is that I don't like having my iPod slaved to my computer (I know I can jailbreak it, but I'm not quite that "techy") via iTunes, and I would probably dislike my phone being the same way. Friend assured me that all upgrades, apps, etc. are downloaded straight to the Android, without having to be synced to a computer.

I have had my Droid X for 3 months now, and it has NEVER been connected to my computer; I've done all upgrades and market purchases direct to the Droid; even the upgrade to Android OS 2.2 (Froyo) went without a hitch, over the air.

I'm on Verizon too, and have no issues with them.

Adobe Flash works great on my Droid too.... ;-)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Actually, the main reason I am thinking seriously about an iPhone is because there are so many Disney-centered apps out there. I have several on my iPod now, but I don't plan to take it to the parks next time. However, I will have some sort of phone on me.
Both of my daughters have iPhones, and both had some "issues" on the last upgrade (but so did a lot of other folks). I haven't heard any complaints from them for awhile now, so maybe everything has smoothed out.
The reason I'm considering an Android is because I talked to a friend who has both - the iPhone is supplied by his company and his personal phone is an Android - he said he wouldn't have an iPhone if his company didn't require it. He also told me that AT&T is discontinuing "unlimited" internet upon renewal of our current contract - i.e. pay more for service we're currently getting for a modest charge.

I plan to do more research on my own, but I always like to get other peoples' opinions before I spend a lot of money.
There are quite a few third party apps out there but the official one in based on old Android OS and exclusive to Verizon. Based on the pictures from the last round of in park testing it looks like a newer version will be on Android as well.

AT&T did ditch unlimited plans but most people will actually spend less using the capped plans because the majority of users never hit the cap. How long that will last remains to be seen.

tizzo

Oh yeah...funny thing is I have never been a big Mac fanboy...

I don't use either one, but I'd venture to say that it may not be all that unusual for a non-Mac fanboy to still prefer an iPhone. Consider that a Mac is essentially a personal computer repackaged as a consumer electronics device. The best way I can explain it is to say that it's not for me because as a software guy, a computer is something different than a Mac. Macs have restrictions on things you can do that computers don't have.

A phone, on the other hand, is a consumer electronics device. The kinds of restrictions imposed by Apple make more sense for a phone than for a computer.

Having said that, I for one don't ever see myself with an iPhone. If I knew that there was a smartphone with an open source operating system that I could develop my own software for, which there is in Android, then I'd want it, no matter how unlikely it is that I will ever write my own app. But I'm sure I'm not the typical user, and certainly not the typical iPhone user.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I don't use either one, but I'd venture to say that it may not be all that unusual for a non-Mac fanboy to still prefer an iPhone. Consider that a Mac is essentially a personal computer repackaged as a consumer electronics device. The best way I can explain it is to say that it's not for me because as a software guy, a computer is something different than a Mac. Macs have restrictions on things you can do that computers don't have.

A phone, on the other hand, is a consumer electronics device. The kinds of restrictions imposed by Apple make more sense for a phone than for a computer.

Having said that, I for one don't ever see myself with an iPhone. If I knew that there was a smartphone with an open source operating system that I could develop my own software for, which there is in Android, then I'd want it, no matter how unlikely it is that I will ever write my own app. But I'm sure I'm not the typical user, and certainly not the typical iPhone user.
You can also overclock some of the Android based phones.:D

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I'd get the iphone if I could get it without ATT
You can. You just have to buy it from another country which already sells it legally unlocked. And pay full price.

Canada is the best option for this.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom