iPhone buyers - which one are you buying in 2017?

Which new iPhone are you planning on buying?

• iPhone 8

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • iPhone 8+

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • iPhone X

Votes: 6 40.0%

• Total voters

Pixieish

But they have the iPhone Upgrade Program, which is pretty much what the carriers were doing by adding on a hardware cost to your monthly plan.

I never had a monthly fee added to my bill before this last upgrade (it had been 2 years). That was the perk of staying a customer - you got free upgrades. Granted, I was always at least a model behind, but I didn't care.

lazyboy97o

I never had a monthly fee added to my bill before this last upgrade (it had been 2 years). That was the perk of staying a customer - you got free upgrades. Granted, I was always at least a model behind, but I didn't care.
You didn’t get a free upgrade. It was subsidized by your contract.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I'm a hardcore Apple fan, but definitely not of their prices. I literally just upgraded to a 256GB iPhone 7 (from a 5s) in August. No upgrades for me in a long time now that Verizon no longer subsidizes their customer upgrades.

I switched to Apple's iPhone Upgrade program last year to take away some of the sting of the increasing cost of these devices. Now I just increase my monthly payment a little when I upgrade later this week for my iPhone X.

21stamps

Well, I never saw a rate increase, so if the cost was in there, it was well-hidden.

You are definitely paying it. I always buy my phones outright so I can avoid a contract and a plan, which makes my bill less.

Before AT&T lost exclusivity I always purchased the new iPhone, and sold my old one on the same day, usually only had $200 difference between the new and old. Then came Verizon, then Sprint, with their stupid $199 w/contract! And ‘free upgrades’ caused a hit to the resale market.. and finally last year was the first time that I sold my phone back to Apple. I still received $375.

You can do the math with your carrier, but I like to own my phone and not have an “x” amount of time commitment to a carrier. Regardless of if you do the annual iPhone plan or not you are still paying more if you’re under contract.

Last edited:

21stamps

Has anyone purchased the new Apple Watch? I will not buy it, only because of the reasons listed above. One more way to trap people into a contract, and my watch doesn’t need it’s own line.

lazyboy97o

Has anyone purchased the new Apple Watch? I will not buy it, only because of the reasons listed above. One more way to trap people into a contract, and my watch doesn’t need it’s own line.
What contract? If you buy the LTE model it is typically an extra $10 a month for the service. You don’t have to activate the LTE and there is a Series 3 model without LTE. The reviews of the LTE model have not been favorable.

donsullivan

Premium Member

I have the Generation 3 Apple Watch with LTE on my AT&T account. I had the 2 previous generations and I am one who find great value from the Watch for my use patterns. It's an amazing tool when traveling. I always purchase direct from Apple instead of the carrier and I have absolutely no contract of any kind on this device or any of the phones on my account. The Watch just added $10/month to my account to mirror my iPhone phone number onto the Watch. That's the same incremental charge I pay for my iPad on the same account.

21stamps

What contract? If you buy the LTE model it is typically an extra $10 a month for the service. You don’t have to activate the LTE and there is a Series 3 model without LTE. The reviews of the LTE model have not been favorable.

So I can cancel the $10 per month at any time without penalty? I didn’t know that.
Even if so I can’t bring myself to pay $120 per year+ tax for service for a watch.

21stamps

I have the Generation 3 Apple Watch with LTE on my AT&T account. I had the 2 previous generations and I am one who find great value from the Watch for my use patterns. It's an amazing tool when traveling. I always purchase direct from Apple instead of the carrier and I have absolutely no contract of any kind on this device or any of the phones on my account. The Watch just added $10/month to my account to mirror my iPhone phone number onto the Watch. That's the same incremental charge I pay for my iPad on the same account.

That’s good to know. I’m not caving yet..but it makes me feel better.

How long does your watch last between charging? Besides working out, I’ve tried to think of when it would be beneficial to where I could leave my phone home or in the car.. I just don’t know if the battery would last long enough.

lazyboy97o

So I can cancel the $10 per month at any time without penalty? I didn’t know that.
Even if so I can’t bring myself to pay $120 per year+ tax for service for a watch.
Yes, the $10 is month-to-month as you desire. You don’t even have to start LTE service if you buy the Series 3 GPS + LTE.

How long does your watch last between charging? Besides working out, I’ve tried to think of when it would be beneficial to where I could leave my phone home or in the car.. I just don’t know if the battery would last long enough.
If you don’t think you’d ever use the LTE, you could buy the Series 3 GPS and save a little on the cost.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Battery is all day, but really has to be charged each night. They will last about 1.5 days max without a charge.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Battery is all day, but really has to be charged each night. They will last about 1.5 days max without a charge.

That has been my experience as well. I have a charging dock next to the bed that I put it on each night, or have the cable with me when I travel. Never had an issue with it not making it thru even the longest days.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I've had every version since the original, and the LTE is the best of the bunch. Takes everything from the Series 2 and gives the flexibility to use when the phone isn't near.

If you have the use case for that capability, it is a wonderful device. I can't see how anyone could review it unfavorably if they have a use for it. From what I have seen, too many people review it when they themselves don't have a need for LTE.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
That has been my experience as well. I have a charging dock next to the bed that I put it on each night, or have the cable with me when I travel. Never had an issue with it not making it thru even the longest days.
Yep only the original had battery life issues. I was typically going from about 7am to 10pm with that one. But since the second version, battery life issues are just not there.

lazyboy97o

I've had every version since the original, and the LTE is the best of the bunch. Takes everything from the Series 2 and gives the flexibility to use when the phone isn't near.

If you have the use case for that capability, it is a wonderful device. I can't see how anyone could review it unfavorably if they have a use for it. From what I have seen, too many people review it when they themselves don't have a need for LTE.
The issue that came up was with the LTE actually connecting.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The issue that came up was with the LTE actually connecting.
Yeah that problem as very short lived and was solved with an OS update. The watch was sometime latching onto a Wifi connection that it couldn't actually use, and would not connect to LTE because it thought it had a usable WiFi. I think the update was released about 2 days after the Watch shipped.

donsullivan

Premium Member

With the latest software release for Watch, adding Apple Music support when using AirPods is really cool. You can walk away from your phone and have access to all of your music and if your phone rings, you just tap the Watch and answer and then you go back to your music when the call finishes. With Siri you can also make calls if you need to as well.

ShoalFox

In the Parks
Yes
I would have totally gotten the X if my current iPhone wasn't only a year old. I'll probably be waiting to see what they have next year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom