IOA's next big thing/thrill attraction?

speck76

Michael72688 said:
what, would they let it continue to drop

they could simply change the business model, and find a way to make money on less attendance (i.e. massive cutbacks)

They will always get a certain level of attendance, regardless of adding anything or not.

IOA has its best attendance year least year, yet has not added anything since 1 year after opening, and all that was added was the spin & puke near Hulk, and the kiddie coaster.....

So ask yourself the question, why did anyone go there?...why was attendance up 15%?

Michael72688

That is a very good point, their problem will eventually be getting repeat customers. I mean I go a lot, one cause I work there, lots of free tickets, two thats really the only thrill park around, but that wont work forever. I hope Universal realizes this really soon and adds something big. Its ashame they wont have anything to counter E:E.

speck76

Even if they did, it would not get the press, or be as popular.....

I think 1 thing that IOA ihas proven to Universal is that they will always be 2nd place to WDW.....and nothing will ever change that.

Instead of competing head on, it might be better for them to open their new attractions in WDW's "off-years"......that way Uni gets its own place in the spotlight.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
I think 1 thing that IOA ihas proven to Universal is that they will always be 2nd place to WDW.....and nothing will ever change that.

When was that ever in doubt? :lol:

I'm glad to hear UO's attendence is up because I like the parks (IOA alot more than USF, but there are still some things at USF that are worth the walk over) and because I'm glad Disney has some competition. That only benefits us, the guests

speck76

Michael72688 said:
Very true, it will be interesting to see how the Happiest Celebration On Earth helps Universal, if it helps at all

With more people coming to Orlando, Universal should get more attendance, but I would bet that their market share will be going down.....

JROK

speck76 said:
IOA has its best attendance year least year...

...So ask yourself the question, why did anyone go there?...why was attendance up 15%?

I think I know why attendence was up... don't forget that Universal takes Halloween Horror Nights into account as far as attendence goes... each person that passes through the gate paid $50+ to get through it... and last year was the largest HHN ever as well... On numerous nights there were over 45,000 people in attendence... and it was the first year it was a 'both' parks... so that helped in boosting the numbers...

Unfortunately for you out of state people, you rarely get to experience HHN... well that and you generally have youngsters who want to go to Mickey's Not-So-Scary... HHN is worth checking out... but definitely on an off-peak night...

speck76

JROK said:
I think I know why attendence was up... don't forget that Universal takes Halloween Horror Nights into account as far as attendence goes... each person that passes through the gate paid $50+ to get through it... and last year was the largest HHN ever as well... On numerous nights there were over 45,000 people in attendence... and it was the first year it was a 'both' parks... so that helped in boosting the numbers...

Unfortunately for you out of state people, you rarely get to experience HHN... well that and you generally have youngsters who want to go to Mickey's Not-So-Scary... HHN is worth checking out... but definitely on an off-peak night...

I went on 10/31.....never again

NemoRocks78

Seized
Michael72688 said:
That was a bad day to go, and it was overall a bad year. You should try it again.
While I'll have to disagree on the bad year part (IMO it was the best of them all), I'll definitely have to agree with it being a bad day....that's probably the worst day in the event to go.

Lynx04

speck76 said:
Even if they did, it would not get the press, or be as popular.....

Instead of competing head on, it might be better for them to open their new attractions in WDW's "off-years"......that way Uni gets its own place in the spotlight.

I was thinking the same thing. A lot of Universal's attendance has a direct relation with the attendance as a whole for the Orlando area. Meaning, when Disney attendance increase, Universals will increase since many of the visitors will go over to Universal during their stay. This whole 50 years celebration Disney is benefiting Universal as well. If they are getting a free attendance boost during this Disney promotion period it would be a smart moving to sit back and ride the wave. Then after the celebration add something new to grab attention, while Disney is strategizing its next move

JROK

NemoRocks said:
While I'll have to disagree on the bad year part (IMO it was the best of them all), I'll definitely have to agree with it being a bad day....that's probably the worst day in the event to go.

It was a pretty good year... I'm a big HHN fanatic... been attending since 1991 and worked it the past two years... last year was a neat experience but very crowded... crowd control is a huge problem because the event has simply gotten too popular... people vow they'll never return yet each year they come back for more... rather interesting... but this year it's rumored to be entirely at IOA and have 8 houses... all of which are going to be 'the most detailed houses in HHN history!' ... so we'll see...

NemoRocks78

Seized
JROK said:
It was a pretty good year... I'm a big HHN fanatic... been attending since 1991 and worked it the past two years... last year was a neat experience but very crowded... crowd control is a huge problem because the event has simply gotten too popular... people vow they'll never return yet each year they come back for more... rather interesting... but this year it's rumored to be entirely at IOA and have 8 houses... all of which are going to be 'the most detailed houses in HHN history!' ... so we'll see...
I've heard that rumor as well, and I must say that I would much rather see it at the Studios....IOA's walkways aren't too big, and it was a pain to walk through there at HHN 13 (same goes for last year as well....took forever to get through MSHI).

Bill and Ted will at least have the Ampitheater though, which is a good thing....if it played at USF, it would have to take FFL or APL's theaters which aren't that big.

BriarDavid

I would like a jeep ride or maybe....a ride similar to AE only with raptors instead of aleins.....

By the way, the reason IOA hasn't had many new rides lately is that Universal has been adding new rides to USF. IOA is due for a new ride. Hopefully when one comes it will be a quality ride that matches up to IOA's high standard.

AndyMagic

speck76 said:
It will not be anything expensive........

A new fireworks show (similar to Illuminations) is rumored for next summer....

I would expect the next attraction for IOA to fall in the $20-$30 million range (as RotM did)...UF was in the black last year for the first time since IOA opened, but attendance is down (to projections) this year so far (due to nothing new at the parks), so the window of being profitable may be short lived.

That being said, whatever is built will need to be built quickly, and on the cheap.....I would expect a rollercoaster with a limited theme.

You are making things up as if you have some sort of "in" at Universal. The only information given about the fireworks show was on Jim Hill's website which also said something about an X-Men ride in the Studios theme park, which is obviously not going to happen. The information in that article was either made up or extremely outdated. Revenge of the Mummy cost between 40-50 million not 20 - 30 million. The total cost for both Mummy's in Orlando and Hollywood was reported at 80 - 90 million but the development costs were split among the two so each ride taken on its own had a "budget" of at least 45 million. Don't pretend you have some sort of authority on all things Universal when you are clearly a Disney fan-boy who came to this thread to spew forth fake information. Where are you getting these attendance figures from mid-year by the way? I would love to see your sources. Oh that's right, you don't have any.

speck76

AndyMagic said:
You are making things up as if you have some sort of "in" at Universal. The only information given about the fireworks show was on Jim Hill's website which also said something about an X-Men ride in the Studios theme park, which is obviously not going to happen. The information in that article was either made up or extremely outdated. Revenge of the Mummy cost between 40-50 million not 20 - 30 million. The total cost for both Mummy's in Orlando and Hollywood was reported at 80 - 90 million but the development costs were split among the two so each ride taken on its own had a "budget" of at least 45 million. Don't pretend you have some sort of authority on all things Universal when you are clearly a Disney fan-boy who came to this thread to spew forth fake information. Where are you getting these attendance figures from mid-year by the way? I would love to see your sources. Oh that's right, you don't have any.

Actually, I do have access to some insider information at Universal.....thanks for playing.

AndyMagic

speck76 said:
Actually, I do have access to some insider information at Universal.....thanks for playing.

Oh wow. Now that you SAID you have insider information it clearly means that you in fact do and that everything you said is correct. Oh wait, it means nothing of the sort. Thanks for playing, and losing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom