"Intrusion" at Spaceship Earth

phichi17

We watched in disbelief as someone jumped out at EL Rio in Mexico. He jumped out and had his party take a pic of him being "cool". I think it was in one of the first scenes. We reported it after we got back to the loading area, unfortunately they were too far ahead of us for Disney Security to catch up with them. I would have loved to see them ejected from Epcot!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
ejecto mundo, comprendo? :lol:

2 years of spanish in high school...... forgotten the day i finished the class. im terrible at it.

MiRi

jmaxwell007 said:
ejecto mundo, comprendo? :lol:

2 years of spanish in high school...... forgotten the day i finished the class. im terrible at it.

:lol: I don't even know what you were trying to say.

Anyways, I can't believe how stupid people can be in this world. I see it everyday here in Miami. I know there's a lot of them around here.

Empress Room

BenS said:
I personally don't understand why people would try to jump out. I can't imagine that you could find anything interesting that you wouldn't be able to see from the omnimover.

Unless there's alcohol involved, then it all comes together.

There is an interesting book titled "Death in the Canyon" that documents each and every death that has occurred in the Grand Canyon over the years. For the most part, the deaths are caused by tourists acting or doing something incredibly foolish and stupid (jumping over the edge thinking that it's not the edge, pretending to lose one's balance while posing for a picture and then actually losing one's balance).

In short, there is no limit to the stupidity displayed by some; it seems to be compounded by tourists - people just don't think that they can get seriously hurt while on vacation.

OmegaKnight

We have had people jump out of the cars on Test Track that caused the ride to get shut down for an hour because they had to power the whole thing down. Why people do that I have no idea.

disneyboy02

I remember a few years back seeing a report on the news about a girl who had climbed out of the haunted mansion doombuggies. She had got her leg caught in the mechenism that pulls the vehicles through the ride and it was nearly severed . The ride was shut down the remainder of the day. I think disney should go ahead and released all the information on these stupid guests to the media and not try to hide them all the time. Then i would hope people would realize that the warnings are posted for their protection. (Wishfull thinking)

GoofMaul

Empress Room said:
In short, there is no limit to the stupidity displayed by some; it seems to be compounded by tourists - people just don't think that they can get seriously hurt while on vacation.

I don't find this statement completely fair to the majority of tourists. The majority of people go to WDW to have fun and they manage to do that and follow the rules at the same time. I think it is a very very small percentage of the population that everyone here seems to be focusing on. These people don't only do stupid things on vacation as I am sure most of you have witnessed idiots doing stupid things in any number of local settings. The problem is that these idiots cause such a disturbance that people seem to focus on them. Think about how many millions of people go to WDW each year and stack that number against the relatively few who create the problems. Very small percentage.

BenS

OmegaKnight said:
We have had people jump out of the cars on Test Track that caused the ride to get shut down for an hour because they had to power the whole thing down. Why people do that I have no idea.

Ouch, on a ride that doesn't have the best uptime in the first place.

egionet

It's sad to say, but intrusions happen more often than you think. Some guests just aren't smart enough to realize that getting out of their ride vehicle is a bad idea. Of my former dark rides, Pooh and Snow White, only Pooh had intrusions. They are in areas where a guest could get hurt if they were to get out of the ride (Owl's house and where Tiger comes out of the tree) and also at the end of the ride. Guests apparently enjoy getting out of their vehicles to take pictures during cascade stops at the end of the ride. We tended to only have problems if a group of teenagers (usually males) were on the ride and thought it was funny to get, out or if someone accidentally dropped something and triggered a sensor. By the time, the CMs do a walk through, the guest who got out have already gotten back in. There is a computer system that tells you what sensor has been triggered, but we all know Disney can't accuse anyone of anything.

As for Snow White, there is no intrusion system. So any guest can get out any time they want. It has happened multiple times during grad nights. This is the reason why Dopey and Sneezy no longer have instruments in the cottage scene. This also is the reason why Dopey's hand is broken is the scene with the witch on the cliff. You can't tell his hand is broken unless you really look. But it's horrible to see what inconsiderate guests can do.

Of course both of these rides have lap bars, and they obviously do nothing. Positively the doors that have been added to Pooh has cut down on the number of guests jumping out at the end of the ride. It's just too bad that certain guests have to ruin the ride for everyone else.

BonzoAPD

MiRi said:
A "cast member", a name for a Disney employee.

oh ok, thanks :) I am still learning all these Disney acronyms. I never realized they had so many. It is a lot like how IBM is. Everything there is an acronym.

egionet

OmegaKnight said:
If that is a merchandise CM at Test Track then yes, I know who it is.

No, he's an attractions CM at TT. He's on the boards (MicBat). He's back at WDW for the summer, so who knows if he'll ever find time to read this.

But if you do, HI JONNIE how are things??? :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom