Into The Woods

Magenta Panther

I am not saying I like her, I am just saying I am not going to let that affect her portrayal in the film. I could care less how she feels about walt however wrong she was, if she is great as the witch she is great as the witch. Now her being a racist or anything like that is a different story. But her not liking walt disney on false assumptions are things I can look past.

I hope you enjoy the movie, and I hope it's a big hit for Disney.

Skip

I am curious to see how that is going to go. Someone is going to win from this film ala anne hathaway.

I actually don't think that's true. Into the Woods is a classic, but I don't think it's viewed as a prestige picture like Les Mis was. I could definitely see costuming, hair & makeup nominations, and maybe an acting nom or two (probably Meryl or Blunt), but I'd be surprised by any wins. I don't see it getting a Best Picture nom either - too many other contenders.

I think the movie will be good - the quality of the edits and new material will determine whether or not it'll be great.

BuddyThomas

I actually don't think that's true. Into the Woods is a classic, but I don't think it's viewed as a prestige picture like Les Mis was. I could definitely see costuming, hair & makeup nominations, and maybe an acting nom or two (probably Meryl or Blunt), but I'd be surprised by any wins. I don't see it getting a Best Picture nom either - too many other contenders.

I think the movie will be good - the quality of the edits and new material will determine whether or not it'll be great.
It is definitely viewed as a "prestige" picture with those in the industry and it is expected to clean up with Oscar noms, including Best Picture. Rob Marshall directed this and he also directed Best Picture winner Chicago.

Fun facts: This was previously developed in the 90's with a cast that would have included Cher as the Witch, Robin Williams as the Baker, Goldie Hawn as the Baker's Wife, Steve Martin as the Wolf, and Roseanne Barr as Jack's mother. Director would have been Rob Minkoff, and producer was Craig Zadan. Studio was Columbia. In 1997, Columbia put the film in turnaround and the project stayed inactive for 15 years.

BuddyThomas

Is it just me or does meryl streep get nominated every year? That August movie was horrific and if i recall her and julia Roberts got nominated for oscars
The play on which "that August movie" was based won the Pulitzer Prize and the Tony Award. Granted, the film adaptation was not great, but the play was spectacular.

Sped2424

The film isn't even out yet. How can you claim any of that? And by all means disney crafted this film with oscar bait in mind. We will see when the film comes out how the reactions shall be. But for now it's too early to say it's not going to win much.

Skip

It is definitely viewed as a "prestige" picture with those in the industry and it is expected to clean up with Oscar noms, including Best Picture. Rob Marshall directed this and he also directed Best Picture winner Chicago.

Fun facts: This was previously developed in the 90's with a cast that would have included Cher as the Witch, Robin Williams as the Baker, Goldie Hawn as the Baker's Wife, Steve Martin as the Wolf, and Roseanne Barr as Jack's mother. Director would have been Rob Minkoff, and producer was Craig Zadan. Studio was Columbia. In 1997, Columbia put the film in turnaround and the project stayed inactive for 15 years.

I know some are viewing it as a prestige picture, I just don't think it will actually pan out, Rob Marshall or not. There are too many other best picture contenders: Nightcrawler, Foxcatcher, Birdman, The Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, Boyhood, Selma, Gone Girl, Whiplash, Grand Budapest Hotel, and Unbroken, just to name a few.

Into the Woods is being viewed by most publications as a film that was positioned for Oscar glory but probably will not actually achieve it. That isn't to say I don't think it deserves a nomination or not - I don't know, I haven't seen it. I'm just commenting on what current attitudes are.

Tony Perkis

The film isn't even out yet. How can you claim any of that? And by all means disney crafted this film with oscar bait in mind. We will see when the film comes out how the reactions shall be. But for now it's too early to say it's not going to win much.
It's really not too early. It's been screened within the industry and for numerous critics. It has won no major category in any regional or unionized or academic awards selections for 2014.

Sped2424

It's really not too early. It's been screened within the industry and for numerous critics. It has won no major category in any regional or unionized or academic awards selections for 2014.
I guess we will wait and see then. The golden globes coming up should give us a tiny indicator.

Tony Perkis

I guess we will wait and see then. The golden globes coming up should give us a tiny indicator.
It really isn't a wait-and-see deal. Pretty much every regional film critics' awards have more-or-less ignored Into the Woods in their final winners.

Best Picture - Musical/Comedy at the Golden Globes will almost certainly be Birdman, with The Grand Budapest Hotel being the lone dark horse.

Best Actress - Musical/Comedy might go to Emily Blunt, but this is a weak category that won't translate to the Oscars at all; the Drama version of this category will represent the Oscars. I can see Julianne Moore for Map to the Stars winning or Amy Adams for Big Eyes.

Best Supporting Actress is probably going to Patricia Arquette for Boyhood or Emma Stone in Birdman. Streep will likely be nominated for an Oscar, but it'll be similar to her nomination in The Devil Wears Prada (i.e. no chance of actually winning).

If I was a betting man, and I usually am, these are the likely winners at the Oscars:

Best Picture
Birdman
Boyhood

Best Director
Richard Linklater, Boyhood
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Birman

Best Actor
Michael Keaton, Birdman
Eddie Redmayne, The Theory of Everything
Benedict Cumberbatch, The Imitation Game

Best Actress
Julianne Moore, Still Alice
Reese Witherspoon, Wild
Rosamund Pike, Gone Girl
Mario Cotillard, 2 Days 1 Night
Jennifer Aniston, Cake
*This is an exceedingly strong category this year

Best Supporting Actor
JK Simmons, Whiplash
Edward Norton, Birdman

Best Supporting Actress
Patricia Arquette, Boyhood
Emma Stone, Birdman

Best Original Screenplay
Boyhood
Birdman
Grand Budapest Hotel

Adapted Screenplay
Gone Girl
Inherent Vice
The Imitation Game
The Theory of Everything

These are who I think have any possibility of winning based on the current awards season layout and current winners.

Tony Perkis

Last edited:

Tony Perkis

I know some are viewing it as a prestige picture, I just don't think it will actually pan out, Rob Marshall or not. There are too many other best picture contenders: Nightcrawler, Foxcatcher, Birdman, The Imitation Game, Theory of Everything, Boyhood, Selma, Gone Girl, Whiplash, Grand Budapest Hotel, and Unbroken, just to name a few.

Is the inclusion of Rob Marshall really that special? Sure, Chicago was great, but his followup films have been mostly duds. Pirates 4 was awful, Nine was a mess, and Memoirs of a Geisha was merely OK.

Adam Shankman did a great job with Hairspray, but his filmography is fairly awful overall.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom