Interesting New Rumor on Space Mountain

jedimaster1227

Here is what I don't understand...everyone knows Vekoma makes a poor quality ride, so why would Disney with such a large budget not realize that there are better options out there? It is crazy to me that they do not choose B&M. I would say Intamin as well, but they do not have the best safety record.

Disney has been working with Vekoma for quite some time I believe. It was only the cheapest and smartest option of the process for building Everest to buy a coaster that could be modified (a la track switches) to be built by a company with previous experience with the company... Since Arrow is essentially dead anyways, I would forsee them to be the ones replacing the track for Space Mountain.

GeneralKnowledge

But no, overall, you'd be okay.

However, if you were tall enough, you could definately touch the red tunnel at the end of the ride.

I am 6'4" and have extremely long arms... I can touch the ceiling in both tunnels on space mountain as well as several beams throughout the ride...needless to say I usually keep my arms down. I can also touch the ceilings of various tunnels on Thunder Mountain, particularly the one where you are headed straight at the wall, then drop down. The surface of the tunnels are really rough and scrape your fingers. I also hit the possum at the in the beginning of the ride if I leave my arms up.

Disney definitely didn't design the rides for people with ridiculously long arms. I tend to keep my arms down on most of the rides for this reason.

I am 6'4" and have extremely long arms... I can touch the ceiling in both tunnels on space mountain as well as several beams throughout the ride...needless to say I usually keep my arms down. I can also touch the ceilings of various tunnels on Thunder Mountain, particularly the one where you are headed straight at the wall, then drop down. The surface of the tunnels are really rough and scrape your fingers. I also hit the possum at the in the beginning of the ride if I leave my arms up.

Disney definitely didn't design the rides for people with ridiculously long arms. I tend to keep my arms down on most of the rides for this reason.
That's too funny! But I feel bad that you don't get to experience the attractions in full because of Disney's design plan flaw.

darthjohnny

Original Poster
That's too funny! But I feel bad that you don't get to experience the attractions in full because of Disney's design plan flaw.

Well, it is not really a design flaw as all riders should keep their hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times and therefore shouldn't have this problem.

But of course, so many people do this. I guess Disney didn't consider the super tall. Years ago, people on average were shorter than those of today. So they probably didn't think it was going to be a problem, much like the problems Small World in Disneyland is having with the new types of people of today.

JML42691

I think that they don't have the height problem with EE though, anybody remember that picture of the test car going through with the ring around it around Dec '05-Jan '06. Maybe they rethought their ride ideas with this one for height.

Years ago, people on average were shorter than those of today. So they probably didn't think it was going to be a problem, much like the problems Small World in Disneyland is having with the new types of people of today.

me guessing what you are saying.. ive had an experience like that on small world.. i was sitting on the back part of the boat.. and the front was basically sinking.. because of the heavy weights.. it felt like Titanic.

Rob562

I think that they don't have the height problem with EE though, anybody remember that picture of the test car going through with the ring around it around Dec '05-Jan '06. Maybe they rethought their ride ideas with this one for height.

Actually, I've seen a pic from Big Thunder's construction where they had the "arm reach" car being pushed along the track. I guess they just didn't take REALLY tall people into account back in 1980...

-Rob

GeneralKnowledge

Well, it is not really a design flaw as all riders should keep their hands and arms inside the vehicle at all times and therefore shouldn't have this problem.

Now how do you define inside the car. I have alway considered putting your hands straight up as being inside the vehicle. Is there a certain altitude above the car that is no longer considered inside the car? I am curious where inside the car airspace intersects with regular Disney airspace in a legal sense...hmmm??

TLS

I have ridden SM with my hands up, and my hands/fingers have hit pads overhead. I'm not sure if these are pads on tracks overhead or what.

I no longer ride with my hands held up very high because I started worrying my fingers would get snagged on something, and I'd end up short a digit or two.

(By the way I'm only 6' 2", so I'm not inordinately tall.)

Average male height in US is something like 5'9". With you being 6'2", while not considered inordinately tall, you are above average.

I'm 5'7" and have ridden EVERY coaster I've been on (85) with arms raised. Never hit anything.

But when you really think about it, at 28mph, you'd never really injure yourself if you do hit!

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Now how do you define inside the car. I have alway considered putting your hands straight up as being inside the vehicle. Is there a certain altitude above the car that is no longer considered inside the car? I am curious where inside the car airspace intersects with regular Disney airspace in a legal sense...hmmm??

The inside of the car is that: the inside. They want you to keep you hands in your lap, on the lap bar, or on any handles built into the seat.

Disney really want you putting your hands and arms anywhere that could result in injury (up, to the sides, in front, etc...).

WDWFigment

The inside of the car is that: the inside. They want you to keep you hands in your lap, on the lap bar, or on any handles built into the seat.

Disney really want you putting your hands and arms anywhere that could result in injury (up, to the sides, in front, etc...).

By this logic, my head and most of my upper body is not inside the car when I am 'properly' seated. Certainly I should sulk down to make sure I am fully 'inside' the car on these rides.

Inside the car on these types of rides definitely extends to an area immediately above the car. The only question at issue is how far above the car it extends.

Magicfinder

By this logic, my head and most of my upper body is not inside the car when I am 'properly' seated. Certainly I should sulk down to make sure I am fully 'inside' the car on these rides.

Inside the car on these types of rides definitely extends to an area immediately above the car. The only question at issue is how far above the car it extends.

To fully comply, I think your head and upper body are required to be in the car/seat behind the car in which your lower body & legs are riding. (This is regulated closely by OSHA and some of the other brightest minds in our government.)

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Wow, this is ridiculous how people are arguing what is "inside" the car. :lookaroun

Back to the Space Mountain rumors, anyone know exactly what types of effects might go in? :shrug:

WDWFigment

Wow, this is ridiculous how people are arguing what is "inside" the car. :lookaroun

Back to the Space Mountain rumors, anyone know exactly what types of effects might go in? :shrug:

Ha, all I can say is that I hope they are "awesome" ones. I would imagine we'll start to hear more and more about this. Especially given that (I'd assume it's picked up steam) given some of the recent testing.

jedimaster1227

Essentially... None. Sorry to disappoint, but as far as I know, we will only see a touched up launch tunnel and re-entry tunnel as well as the recently upgraded star field emitters. I would be highly suprised if the plans changed to include anything more than that.

mrerk

Premium Member
Couple per seat.

Also:
As earlier mentioned, no, they will not be taking the top off the mountain.
The layout looks like it will stay pretty much the same.
New Tomorrowland themeing will finally reach that corner of TL.
Limited audio testing has already begun using some existing music.

Any chance of bringing the (name that is short for Richard) DickDale DL version over?

darthjohnny

Original Poster
Essentially... None. Sorry to disappoint, but as far as I know, we will only see a touched up launch tunnel and re-entry tunnel as well as the recently upgraded star field emitters. I would be highly suprised if the plans changed to include anything more than that.

What do you exactly mean by star field emitters? The projections on the ceiling?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom