Interesting NBC News Report from 1983

majorrfb

Walt's decision

If Florida had not given Disney complete autonomy (for the most part), we WDW fans would not have the end result we now enjoy. You enter a greenway to Disney property, entering a magical world. Disney has been an asset for Florida and it's citizens. I think the good has outweighed most negatives. Nothing is perfect but Disney will try to work out the imperfections.

C.FERNIE

I was always amazed by this! The state of Florida must kick themselves now with loosing all that tax money lol but i guess there making money else where from it! thanks for the video! :wave:

sgtmgd

Fantastic Video...

The forsight Walt had....I never knew he was authorized to put in an a Nuclear Plant...stunning!

Drenhopkins

Walt Disney World didn't have all the resorts and hotels like they do now back when they first opened. I remember Kissimmiee being a huge tourist spot full of hotels, shops, and resturaunts. Both Disney and the State of Florida won.

Lucky

Interesting how impartially the story was produced. Nowadays stories like this are much more one-sided. The news business in the US has lost a lot of integrity and credibility in the last 30 years.

bgraham34

Interesting how impartially the story was produced. Nowadays stories like this are much more one-sided. The news business in the US has lost a lot of integrity and credibility in the last 30 years.

I do have to agree with you. That is why It is rare for me to watch news anymore.

Back to the video, I enjoyed it even though some of it I already knew but interesting none the less.

DocMcHulk

I have a quick comment. In the video they talk about the "commercial kingdom" that grew right outside Disneyland. Every time I drive down 192 and see all the cheesy gift shops and discount ticket sellers, all I can think is "Walt would have hated this"

Mickey_777

Fascinating. I've always been interested on how the Orlando area is what it is today just because Walt decided to put a castle in the middle of the swamp. The numbers they gave on how crime rose is pretty staggering though. I can definitely see how that ticked a lot of people off. Great video.

Joshua&CalebDad

This wasn't just a gem...

This video was more than just a gem, it was an example for what true reporting should be, "unbiased."

I love the statement that the reporter made at the end, "We were neither for nor against Disneyworld, and we were not trying to expose anything. We thought it was interesting so we reported it."

This is what true journalism should be, not the bias reports we see on tv, in periodicals, and blogs. They should use this video in all journalism schools to remind journalist what their jobs are supposed to be.

On another note, I myself drink the Disney World kool-aid but I also understand that WDW brought tremendous change and in some cases hardships to the Central Florida area.

However, change always bring some sort of hardship; whether its good or bad depends on the parties experiencing the change. Those that ride the change out and make the best of it will reap the benfits. As I believe central Florida has.

Lucky

The numbers they gave on how crime rose is pretty staggering though. I can definitely see how that ticked a lot of people off. Great video.

Florida was growing rapidly with or without WDW. Miami and other parts of Florida hundreds of miles from WDW have their share of crime.

DocMcHulk

Fascinating. I've always been interested on how the Orlando area is what it is today just because Walt decided to put a castle in the middle of the swamp.

I have always thought that because of it's location, Orlando would have grown over time. But Disney World gave it about a 30 year bump in the timeline.

DocMcHulk

I love that reporter. He has a pretty witty sense of humor. "Executives have to have something to do and what they do in television is change the set and music"

Clever Name

Remember that when the Florida legislature granted all those exclusive powers to Disney, the focal point was EPCOT as promised by Walt. Upon Walt’s death, the Disney Company backtracked on the original proposal. They did not build the promised transportation complex, manufacturing facilities, planned community and huge housing areas.

Florida got sucker punched by one of the best salesman in the business! :wave:

Disneytwinmom

What was the resort they referred to that they were building? The Poly, Contemporary and DTD resorts were the only early ones available, right?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom