Interesting Disney Quote

Astro_Digital

Original Poster
Interesting Disney Quote,

You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.

Now the people controlling Walt Disney World has spent the last 20 years dumbing it down.

Replacing attractions that require thought and imagination with attractions built for only 6 year old children.

Many examples, Mission to Mars, Dreamflight, Horizons, World of Motion the list goes on and on.

What is Disney trying to do lower the over all IQ of all it's guests?

When people ask would Walt Disney approve I look at his quote. I think he be all for making profit but he do it in an educational way.

Am I wrong?

shaelyn

There's also this quote:

I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something than educate people and hope they were entertained.

Pioneer Hall

You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway.

Now the people controlling Walt Disney World has spent the last 20 years dumbing it down.

Replacing attractions that require thought and imagination with attractions built for only 6 year old children.

Many examples, Mission to Mars, Dreamflight, Horizons, World of Motion the list goes on and on.

What is Disney trying to do lower the over all IQ of all it's guests?

When people ask would Walt Disney approve I look at his quote. I think he be all for making profit but he do it in an educational way.

Am I wrong?

I don't think the attractions were really dumbed down, as much as they lost more of their educational component. I don't think that Mission:Space is any easier to understand or less complex than Horizons. If anything, there might be more to lean because it is dealing with something that is actually in use today. Horizons was basically a flashy "What-If" storybook. There was nothing to learn there since everything from that ride still doesn't exist today. Same goes for World of Motion...yes, you learned about the history of transportation, but don't you learn about something at Test Track now too. It is just a different lesson, and in no way dumbed down.

Lucky

If they're catering to 6 year olds and under, why did they close the Pocahantas show?

If you can figure out how to educate and entertain at the same time, that's a great goal, whether you're aiming for kids or adults. But I don't think there was ever much of an educational component to any of the attractions. It's a tough combination to achieve. It's much harder to entertain people these days than it used to be, and if you try to make something like StormStruck very educational today's guests will get bored.

To paraphrase Don Rumsfeld, WDW has to work with the guests it has, not the guests it wishes it had.

Astro_Digital

Original Poster
I do not think "Mission Space " has much of an educational component at all.

What do you learn how people will go to Mars? People are too wasteful to go to moon again never mind Mars. I know Bush was talking 2020 but with the way money is being burned that will not happen.

Even if it did happen what can you learn in a 30 second attraction?

But other things are more disturbing such as the "sunk" gag in the "Journey into Imagination".... purely meet for what 6 -10 year old boys.

Or Stitch all over the place, Disney has been targeting kids only.

C&D

No one can make their point by using one tree in a forest of data. Even the dumbed down attractions entertain me, in, how did they pull that off or create the actual physical attraction. (the amount of minute detail boggles my mind almost everywhere I look) Just saying.

I_heart_Tigger

I have to disagree. I think Mission" Space is both more educational and more entertaining than Horizons. I remember being on that attraction a few times wondering why I did this "yawn" of a ride again. I honestly don't recall anything of educational value about it at all. If there is no entertainment factor, the educational aspect is completely lost. Besides I think being in Florida, the space program fits at WDW.

Also, I don't think Disney is trying at all to cater to 6 year olds. If anything I find that there is more to do without children now than there ever was, even with the closure of PI. Newer attractions like EE, Crushngusher and A.Idol seem to be geared toward older children and adults rather than the younger set. The entire World Showcase had to add some entertainment for younger kids with the Fun Stops and Kim Possible because it's made for grown ups.

As for Stitch, he doesn't bother me. Last year the only evidence of Stitch I saw was at his attraction and the breakfast at the Polynesian. I'll probably watch his stage show. Besides he's the only movie character that fits the theming of Tomorrowland so I'm not surprised they utilize that to the fullest.

Jeff456

In my opinion as much as I find it interesting to be educated, I do not visit wdw in the pursuit of more knowledge. When I visit I want to be entertained, if that does not involve much in the way of education then so be it.

girlface

I apreciate getting educated at disney,because its so wonderfull. As cheesey and ridiculous as it sounds at disney you forget all your troubles but appreciate life a bit more and look it more closely,and i think when you learn at disney you feel its a moral or hidden teaching like at the end of a fairytale lol....God thats cheesey,but i think its true.:rolleyes:

Astro_Digital

Original Poster
No one can make their point by using one tree in a forest of data. Even the dumbed down attractions entertain me, in, how did they pull that off or create the actual physical attraction. (the amount of minute detail boggles my mind almost everywhere I look) Just saying.

Physical interaction by handling fake props? Have do go in and refuse to play?

Nothing happens. The props are there so the children can pretend they are doing something.

They are not even realistic.

Anything going to Mars will be computer controlled and even if there is a manual mode there will never be tactile feed back to the "Control Stick" because it would never be a mechanical device.

Stitch is in one of the Attractions in "Tomorrowland", good job Disney replacing something that may have science to something that is pure cartoon fantasy.

C&D

And my education for that ride includes the questions: how do they create the G's (I know, a huge centrifuge; doesn't that boggle your mind on the engineering required to pull that off), all the detail of construction (a lot of people spent a lot time to at least make it look 'kind of' real), storyboard (you are assigned a job, so what, if you are just pushing non functional buttons, you're still part of the story)........................using some imagination is what I consider with anything Disney.

p.s. when the original Mission Space was debuted, some actual astronauts were invited to experience the ride (and they concluded that the g-force was astonishly authentic. Again, just saying.

MKCP 1985

While Mission: Space may not be the very best attraction at Epcot, saying the Magic Kingdom's original Mission to Mars was superior is comical.

Contrary to this thread title, the Disney quote is not all that interesting because the Disney parks have not changed such as to cater only to children. I know 2 grown men who made their first ever trip to Walt Disney World this year and had a great time with their families. Their reactions are probably similar to most, which is why people continue to make so many return trips.

The Magic Kingdom has always been more designed for the younger crowd, but some refurbishments newer than Mission: Space include adding Captain Jack Sparrow to the Pirates of the Caribbean ride and improvements at the Haunted Mansion. Neither dumbed down the rides or took them in a direction more for children. Space Mountain is undergoing a rehab designed to make it better, not more kid friendly.

Animal Kingdom opened the Yak and Yeti restaurant, offering food that appeals to adult palates. Expedition: Everest is newer than Mission: Space and is not designed only for young children. With its height restrictions, several young children are excluded from riding.

The Disney Hollywood Studios has recently opened the Toy Story Midway Mania game which is very well liked by people of all ages, and American Idol does not attract only the very young crowd.

No serious argument can be made that Epcot is a park designed only for kids. Even with the changes to its attractions, there are many attractions and events designed for adults. Food and Wine festival for example?

Sorry "Astro Digital" but since you asked the question, I will tell you: You are wrong. The parks are not only for 6 year olds and neither you nor I can say what Walt Disney would think about the attractions in the parks since he's been dead for over 40 years.

juscet

I think Disney felt that in order to compete with the other amusement parks in the world that they had to create more rides and do less from an educational standpoint. I personally like the way WDW has gone. It is a nice mix of thrills, shows, and educational opportunities and obviously continues to bring people back again and again. You look at Epcot alone and you can see that the original idea, although revolutionary, actually confused some people as to what is was trying to be. As they added the thrill rides (Test Track, etc.) it became a much more viable long-term option for the masses.:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom