Interesting Disney Parks Survey Question I got Today - Tiered Ticket Pricing by Season

Kingoglow

Another issue I see with these rapid increase in prices would be for people to jams themselves into MK even more. Vacationers want value for their dollar. With EPCOT's vision lost, and DAK's entertainment value based on a couple of shows and three rides and the absolutely rotten state of HS we already see overcrowding at MK.

The higher Disney raises the prices the more guests will allocate all of their time into the only park with a decent number of attractions.

Everything that they are doing (FastPass, high hotel prices, higher ticket prices) is forcing more and more people to spend their entire vacation in the Magic Kingdom because it is where all of the value is at.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Another issue I see with these rapid increase in prices would be for people to jams themselves into MK even more. Vacationers want value for their dollar. With EPCOT's vision lost, and DAK's entertainment value based on a couple of shows and three rides and the absolutely rotten state of HS we already see overcrowding at MK.

The higher Disney raises the prices the more guests will allocate all of their time into the only park with a decent number of attractions.

Everything that they are doing (FastPass, high hotel prices, higher ticket prices) is forcing more and more people to spend their entire vacation in the Magic Kingdom because it is where all of the value is at.

Good point. I hadn't thought of it like that, but you're right. At MK you get, let's say 8 out of 10 fun points for your $$$. At DHS, 4 fun points. Simple to see where people will go.

CaptainAmerica

DAK's entertainment value based on a couple of shows and three rides...
You clearly have no idea why people love DAK.

Just because Kingoglow perceives value based on ride count doesn't mean everyone does. If I had one day and only one day at Walt Disney World, I'd spend it in Animal Kingdom every single time, and pay gladly for the right to do so. Doesn't matter if I'm going with a CM friend's free passes or if I'm spending $120 for a single day ticket.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I have no information about this, and hadn't heard about until this morning. And I hate the prospect of it, for the same reasons I hate the idea of charging for additional fast passes. That being said...

My suspicion is that Disney has concluded that it has about reached the maximum price that the masses are willing to pay on certain days, and that raising prices on those days will cause crowd levels to fall enough that the increased price wouldn't actually generate higher profits. However, Disney believes that on other days, the decrease in crowds from a price increase will not be so great as to make the increase not worth it. So, they're trying to see if they are correct about the second sentence, and explore ways to capture that additional revenue if market research turns out to be correct.

While there aren't really any slow seasons at WDW anymore (except maybe a random Monday at Epcot after MLK day but before President's Day), there are certainly days that are more crowded than other days. Xmas to New Year's, summer, spring break, etc.

rael ramone

A later question asked essentially: How likely would you be willing to pay more for your ticket if you were guaranteed lower crowds? (yes it was bold faced and underlined).

There was no choice among the possible answers that said "There is no way we could actually guarantee that, and certainly no way to hold us accountable to that promise, and we are definitely not going to refund your ticket even if you could."

In the open comment section, I remarked about how simple E Ride nights were, and accomplished this same benefit if the guest desired such, but they did away with that. If greater guest experience is really your goal (as the survey painted), there are many simpler and better options than this. I also commented, Didn't you just spend Billions to make crowd levels a moot point anyway?

If this 'tiering' gets applied to the annual passes, anything that isn't a 'bronze' day may be lifestyler free...

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
You clearly have no idea why people love DAK.

Just because Kingoglow perceives value based on ride count doesn't mean everyone does. If I had one day and only one day at Walt Disney World, I'd spend it in Animal Kingdom every single time, and pay gladly for the right to do so. Doesn't matter if I'm going with a CM friend's free passes or if I'm spending $120 for a single day ticket.
But, you recognize you're in the minority. MK draws double what AK does. The more expensive tickets get, the bigger that gap will become.

Lucky

I have no information about this, and hadn't heard about until this morning. And I hate the prospect of it, for the same reasons I hate the idea of charging for additional fast passes. That being said...

My suspicion is that Disney has concluded that it has about reached the maximum price that the masses are willing to pay on certain days, and that raising prices on those days will cause crowd levels to fall enough that the increased price wouldn't actually generate higher profits. However, Disney believes that on other days, the decrease in crowds from a price increase will not be so great as to make the increase not worth it. So, they're trying to see if they are correct about the second sentence, and explore ways to capture that additional revenue if market research turns out to be correct.

While there aren't really any slow seasons at WDW anymore (except maybe a random Monday at Epcot after MLK day but before President's Day), there are certainly days that are more crowded than other days. Xmas to New Year's, summer, spring break, etc.
They're already doing this with resort room pricing - there are many more "seasons" than there used to be, plus weekend premiums - and even at many of the restaurants. I've been wondering for some time when they would extend it to ticket pricing.

wendysue

Just another reason that now our "go to" vacation will be UNI and Busch Gardens....
But if I WERE to buy tickets, and that's a BIG if, I would only go during the bronze days, shorten my vaca to WDW to 3 or 4 days and visit somewhere else the rest of the days. Some people just keep saying "It's only 10 bucks or 40 bucks, but it keeps happening over and over...

CaptainAmerica

I agree that this seems to be the strategy, and that it's an unnecessary complication for two reasons. First, variability in crowd levels from "slow" to "busy" times is minimal. Except for those few peak holidays, there's no great reason to try level out crowds much more than they already are. Second, the price difference isn't enough to influence guest behavior even if it was a valid goal. Just raise prices for everyone and manage seasonal crowds through room promotions, CM blockout dates, and AP season dates like they're already doing.

CaptainAmerica

Some people just keep saying "It's only 10 bucks or 40 bucks, but it keeps happening over and over...
And people CONTINUE to come in droves. What does that tell you? When you're priced well below market rates, you should absolutely keep raising your prices until the market pushes back (which it hasn't, fanboii outrage on the interwebz aside).

CaptainAmerica

But, you recognize you're in the minority. MK draws double what AK does. The more expensive tickets get, the bigger that gap will become.
My point is that the gap has nothing to do with price. If you love MK best, you'll love MK best whether you go for free or if you're paying hundreds of dollars. If you think MK beats DAK, you're going to think so regardless of how much it costs.

ETA: It's like... I much prefer Coke over Pepsi. If someone offers me a free soda, I'm going to choose Coke. I'm not more likely to choose Coke just because it costs $2.00 all of a sudden.

CaptainAmerica

Just because it's good for Disney's bottom line, doesn't mean we have to like it.
Understood. I'm not thrilled about it myself. I'm just illustrating that distaste for price increases hasn't resulted in decreased volume as many are speculating. The premise that "Disney is alienating their customers" isn't backed up by the data.

Now I'll sit back and wait for @ParentsOf4 to post a graph telling me how wrong I am.

wendysue

Understood. I'm not thrilled about it myself. I'm just illustrating that distaste for price increases hasn't resulted in decreased volume as many are speculating. The premise that "Disney is alienating their customers" isn't backed up by the data.

Now I'll sit back and wait for @ParentsOf4 to post a graph telling me how wrong I am.

Just saying, that for us, it's over. That's 7 people in two families that go twice a year that are not coming back. I am sure we aren't the only families thinking this way. Not saying this to be nasty or judgmental of everyone who WILL pay it, just that many people have reached their price point and it will show in time. (the nasty people can now say "good riddance to ya")

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yes, but eventually you are going to start aliening customers and once that happens, it's hard to get them back.

Lucky

The brand loyalty Disney built up over decades by NOT charging whatever the market would bear is what helps them get away with this sort of thing now - it takes a lot to alienate many of their customers.

The current execs don't seem to care about investing in brand loyalty, because it would only benefit some future execs, not themselves. Their incentive is to cash in on it now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom