Interesting DAK Article @ LP

yensidtlaw1969 said:
True, but no matter how well done they do it and how much more incredible it is compared to a local Zoo, you know people are still gonna say "They have something just like this right here!". I don't know how hypable it would be -- ofcourse, it would be something else to do at the park once you're there, it just probably wouldn't be good at getting people there. Sometimes people are just Ignorant like that, you know?

Yensid "I do like your Idea for the Arctic . . . that could really be beautiful with animals peopl love (who dosn't like penguins and polar bears and seals!?!?!)" tlaw1969

I dont see how a South America area would be lik a local zoo...They can make it similar to Asia and have it themed to a dense rainforest area.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Ghostbuster626 said:
I dont see how a South America area would be lik a local zoo...They can make it similar to Asia and have it themed to a dense rainforest area.

You don't, but the average visitor would. The average guest to WDW is on vacation and not a Disneyite like us.

But I dont understand in what sense would a normal visitor percieve a South Ameria Land like a local Zoo? Disney fans generally have higher standards than the general public anyway so as long as its richly themed and detailed I dont see the problem. Do they mean local zoo in the sense that the animals are too uh.."ordinary" (just snakes, birds, frogs, etc.)? or what?

mkt

Premium Member
Ghostbuster626 said:
But I dont understand in what sense would a normal visitor percieve a South Ameria Land like a local Zoo? Disney fans generally have higher standards than the general public anyway so as long as its richly themed and detailed I dont see the problem. Do they mean local zoo in the sense that the animals are too uh.."ordinary" (just snakes, birds, frogs, etc.)? or what?

local zoo as in, most good local zoos across the US already have displays and exhibits about south american animals. Sadly, most of america still perceives DAK as a zoo with rides, rather than a theme park.

If it was Zoo v. Zoo, would you rather travel 1000 miles and pay $63 to see what you could see from a 2 hour drive to the DC national zoo for free?

dazzer68

Australia is much more than wallabies or KANGAROOLAND,
its got the most diverse mother nature in the world
crocodiles, kaolas, red back spiders, poisinous snakes emus camels!
quakka's parrots cuckaburras kangaroos turtles dolphins whales great barrier reef is full of stuff
that could be a great land! at dak

S.E.A.

dazzer68 said:
quakka's parrots cuckaburras kangaroos turtles dolphins whales great barrier reef is full of stuff

that's the thing, the animals are so vague and demure that no one will really recognize it, it also has very limited potential attraction-wise. Unless Australia is filled with iconic titans like Africa and Asia does I doubt it will ever be waranted a land in DAK.

turtles and dolphins can be found all over the world, so can crocodiles and camels are much more associated with the middle east.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
yensidtlaw1969 said:
Yensid "I do like your Idea for the Arctic . . . that could really be beautiful with animals peopl love (who dosn't like penguins and polar bears and seals!?!?!)" tlaw1969

Not wishes to pick nits [though it's rather a propos in a DAK thread :lol:]...

Um... Polar Bears and Penguins never see each other... :lookaroun They live, quite literally, at opposite ends of the world. [couldn't help myself, sorry Yensid :eek:]

mkt

Premium Member
dazzer68 said:
I just post what I'm told by the man responsible for the park

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Actually, I would hope that someone would really push some outside the box thinking at some point and push for some land options that weren't simply themed around continents and the animals contained therein. BK may be nixed forever, but DAK needs an injection whimsy. There are all kinds of fantasy animal species be they from current pop culture (Nessie, bigfoot, chupacabra - along the same lines as the yeti) or fantasy (dragons, unicorns, etc.) or the fictional animals that appear in Disney's own movies. The options are limitless.

mkt

Premium Member
Rohde discussed native american legends very briefly when someone else brought it up. Nothing about an area dedicated to that, but it was spoken about.

S.E.A.

ASJHLJ said:
There are all kinds of fantasy animal species be they from current pop culture (Nessie, bigfoot, chupacabra - along the same lines as the yeti) or fantasy (dragons, unicorns, etc.) or the fictional animals that appear in Disney's own movies. The options are limitless.

Nessie, BigFoot and the Chupacabra live on opposite ends of the earth it's not exactly justifiable to have them all suddenly live beside each other. Disney movie animals might cheapen the nature of the park, let them stay in MK or at least keep them in small manageable doses.

the fantasy element was what BK was all about.

S.E.A. said:
Nessie, BigFoot and the Chupacabra live on opposite ends of the earth it's not exactly justifiable to have them all suddenly live beside each other. Disney movie animals might cheapen the nature of the park, let them stay in MK or at least keep them in small manageable doses.

Maybe a Cryptozoology land could be a future expansion of Beastly Kingdom?

S.E.A.

Ghostbuster626 said:
Maybe a Cryptozoology land could be a future expansion of Beastly Kingdom?

it would be nice but then if they theme it as a sort of research area/musuem it would be just another Dinoland

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Nahtazu

S.E.A. said:

Good point of course. They don't necessarily have to be in the same attraction. Of course, if they were it would feature a maniacal explorer taking you for a tour in his boat and showing off all of the famous creatures he's gathered during his explorations. It would even feature a sight gag (a full grown unicorn in a snowglobe - have to keep it in its natural environment!). Then you would see that Nessie cage and had been rent in half and come face to face with the famous monster at the end of the ride.

Also, I think the Disney characters aren't used to their full potential much of the time. I think that the NEMO show is going to be good, but its a re-telling of a story we already know. What if a lot of the Disney animal characters from over the years were brought together in non-linear ways in new attractions? Heck they could even bring back that place kicking donkey from when I was a kid (I think that was a Disney movie and I'm too tired to do research right now. Get up for work at 4).

However, all this is beside the point. My main point is this - If the nahtazu park wants to be seen that way, then it should stop being just like any really nice zoo. Heck, the last couple of zoos I've been to are kind of like mini theme/amusement parks and don't have a ride/traditional zoo type stuff ratio that much different than DAK's (I should note I really like DAK and all the stuff there is definetly nicer than any zoo).

The possibilities for attractions/lands that involve fantasy animals to some degree I really believe is endless. BTW - I'd be excited about BK. I was just under the impression it was dead.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Sorry for the back to back posts, but I wanted to give a concrete example of non-linear uses for the existing Disney character set. Going with the outline of the boat ride with bigfoot, chupacabra, unicorns, etc. posted above what if throughout the ride you were to see Randall from Monsters, Inc. in the background and it was clear he was up to no good? What if it was Randall that ripped open the enclosure for Nessie? What if after your boat captain had dispensed with Nessie using his/her boat mounted shot gun there was a big splash in the water and it was invisible Randall jumping in the water? Then your skipper comments that they have traps all over the place. Suddenly, your captain hoists one out of the water and it contains your villian for the ride! A bigfoot (you've seen several of these on the ride) saunters to within shouting distance of the boat from a nearby land mass and yells, "Hey Randall! I thought you said you would get us back in the plant!" Randall yells back, "Be quiet!" Your captain then drops the trap back in the water and announces that your tour is over. He/she also indicates there will be new attraction featuring a new "rare species" for when you, the guest, return. See - not a simple retelling of an old story. Also, not a character experience designed to move plush. I don't think an occasional character interaction on a ride like this would annoy anyone. Not having any characters in the attractions if they can't think of anything creative to do with them would also be fine with me.

A native American land/ride/attraction based on their legends would also have great potential. I'm glad to hear Rohde ws thinking along those lines even if it was brief and there is nothing concrete yet.

JMelrose

Just pointing out (as the front page of the site did) that a full service Asian restaurant has also apparently been greenlit for the park, operated by Landry's. And a dino-themed one for Downtown Disney. I'm curious as to where the Asian one would end up in DAK though... maybe in that town square-y area across from Kali? There's not much room elsewhere, it seems.

I wonder what the views will be of.

Denscott

mkt said:
from my interview with Joe Rohde, here's his reasoning for why those areas weren't added

Australia - the animals are mostly nocturnal and the size of a basketball, so we'd be left with Kangarooland

South America - Every single zoo in the US has a section devoted to this, so it would be a challenge to do it in a way that would give people a reason to go to AK rather than their local zoo.

North America - why would anyone want to travel 3000 miles to see what they can see in their backyards.

Maybe there's a chance for Antarctica then...maybe I'll send in my resume right now to Imagineering so they can use my ice cave aquarium idea! :animwink: They could have cold air blowers like in the old Ice Station Cool at the entrance to the land.

Seriously though, I think that it would be quite different if they had an Antarctic exhibit, the land is still relatively unknown since it is damn near impossible to get there without being a research scientist or documentary crew. It is the closest we have on Earth to unhabitable land.

Plus the Star Wars geeks can pretend it's Hoth during Star Wars Weekends! :lol:

Shaman

mkt said:
Rohde discussed native american legends very briefly when someone else brought it up. Nothing about an area dedicated to that, but it was spoken about.

A Brother Bear attraction somewhere in AK would be cool. :lookaroun :D

Pr1nce55

I think they could be very creative with South America. They could do so much with the Amazon river and the countries of Brazil or Columbia.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom