Interesting DAK Article @ LP

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
Over at the Laughing Place, there is a very interesting article, found here: http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID510110.asp, that reveals what may or may not be on the way for Disney's Animal Kingdom within the next 5 years. Among the highlights are:

- Of course, the new Finding Nemo musical in the Theater in the Wild.

- A nighttime "parade" called "Rivers of Light," with parade in quotations because it wouldn't be your typical parade.

- The long rumored new continent of Austrailia.

- Rafiki's Planet Watch changes along with a walkway to the area.

The article is very interesting and I highly suggest you read it in it's entirety. From the sounds of it, especially with the mention of Rivers of Light, Disney is really trying to push DAK past sunset. Whether all of this would be enough to do so is still a good question. Your thoughts?

Computer Magic

Great article. Key points I found that should clear up things from this board:

Disney enthusiasts continue to demand the long-rumored Beastly Kingdom project to be green lit. However Joe Rohde is always quick to point out that the concept was only ever a mantra for DAK in his desire to embrace other things that are not organic (the Yeti inside the Forbidden Mountain is one such example). The Dueling Dragons coaster at Universal’s Island of Adventure nixed the Disney version and Rohde is unlikely to want another coaster inside DAK any time soon.

However the Australian section continues to be a possibility for DAK. Bringing the continent’s unique mammals (marsupials such as kangaroos, koalas and duck-billed platypuses) to the park would allow imagineers to exploit the unusual architecture of the native Aborigines’ Down Under and Australia’s rich tapestry of art and entertainment. I am sure a bush tucker diner would be a smash hit with BBQ lovers. Rohde appears keen to continue to build upon the organic makeup of the park’s residents and Australia would reinforce those offerings and prevent inorganic attractions from dominating the lineup

Fireworks would unsettle the diurnal animals but a nighttime parade could work despite the dark and winding pathways of DAK. It is rumored that Davison has pitched a project called the Rivers of Light, a lantern parade that would progress throughout the park and be the first to be shown on both land and water (Discovery River would finally see watercraft return to it). An initial concept saw performers acting in the trees of Discovery Village but this was eventually shelved due to safety concerns. Some form of nighttime entertainment is seen as essential for keeping guests from switching to another park for Fantasmic! SpectroMagic/Wishes and Illuminations. Rivers of Light seems to have exactly the right formula for the park; something that fits with the organic mantra of Rohde and is more adult-oriented without the need to rely on character-based entertainment. However it could just become another Eureka! (the characterless now-defunct parade that debut with Disney’s California Adventure park). We can only hope that the project is fast-tracked in the near future.

Great article. Thanks for sharing :sohappy:

RCT2 Imagineer said:
Over at the Laughing Place, there is a very interesting article, found here: http://http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID510110.asp, that reveals what may or may not be on the way for Disney's Animal Kingdom within the next 5 years. Among the highlights are:

- Of course, the new Finding Nemo musical in the Theater in the Wild.

- A nighttime "parade" called "Rivers of Light," with parade in quotations because it wouldn't be your typical parade.

- The long rumored new continent of Austrailia.

- Rafiki's Planet Watch changes along with a walkway to the area.

The article is very interesting and I highly suggest you read it in it's entirety. From the sounds of it, especially with the mention of Rivers of Light, Disney is really trying to push DAK past sunset. Whether all of this would be enough to do so is still a good question. Your thoughts?

hmm I keep hearing contradictory things about Australia...Didnt Joe Rhode himself say that the idea of an Australia land wouldnt work and it was a bad idea? And I thought there was a good chance the Discovery River Boats were returning? Other than that and the finding nemo show, I like what im hearing. DAK has so much potential it just needs alittle more to achieve greatness (what it really needs has the initials of "B.K." but I wont start that up again.)

Chape19714

Very interesting...Let's hope Rivers of Light gets better reception than Eurica or Light Magic. I agree DAK needs to be pushed past sunset in order to become a "full" theme park.

dandaman

I especially enjoy the idea of the "land and sea" combination show. Interesting, to say the least.

Thanks much for the link!

tnemgif

Wow, I'm really excited now. That parade sounds like it could be very cool. I was hoping that they might bring something like ToN to DAK for a nighttime parade because ToN was very cool at night. This artcicle definitely shed some light on the topics being debated around here. Thanks!

col

just read the article and found it informative if any of it is true.

animal kingdom and magic kingdom are my fave parks on my last holiday if you where to add it up i spent a week in AK and a week in MK and some other days.

this article did bring up some good points:

i do think that if another country/continent was put into AK it would benefit so much as ive said in other posts australia would be the best choice and i know that disney would do it justice. even though they have kangas by the tree of life there are so many animals in australia - i for one would love to see and hold a koala bear they are so fragile and cute. dont forget about the snakes, kangas,koalas and huge insects and much more. i would love to see the theming all deep red colours for the outback sand and how it represents the aussie culture featuring the abouriginies(sp?). it would also enlighten people about australia coz most people wont visit the country because it too long on a flight (24 hours) and for other reasons.

if AK had an area for all kind of food like indian (bombay potatoes :slurp: ), chinese food, asian food, food from where the animals come from to broaden peoples minds. i do believe that AK needs more restaurants and placs that offer a wide variety of food not just meat!
i got 2 vegetable samosas from adventureland in MK and they where small and they cost me something like $2.60 which is shocking.

about rafikis planet watch/conservation station i do think it should keep the train and add a walkway area so if people do decide to walk to it they could see animals (providing animals are shown along the way) or have signs or just something that will attract peoples attention.

in my opinion i think that if AK was to stay open later it would be a huge mistake. the animals have to sleep and shouldnt be disturbed i also wouldnt like it to be ruined coz its different from the other parks.

about everest i am open minded on one hand its hyped up so much -the other day i was looking through the paper and there was this article about it along with photos and the man saying its just alright- people will be queueing up to go on it but will it become a favourite for people like splash mountain? on the other hand will people get bored with it once the hype has died down and will it pay off?
i for one cant wait to go on i know for sure i will scream till my hearts content but im looking forward to that!

i do think AK will progess over the coming years and it will be for the better!!:sohappy:

just one suggestion: why doesnt everest open on the 22nd april 2006 that would make it 8 years to the day AK opened?

yensidtlaw1969

Ghostbuster626 said:
(what it really needs has the initials of "B.K." but I wont start that up again.)
Umm, how does Buger King fit into Animal Kingdom?:confused: :veryconfu .

:lookaroun .

Yensid "Yeah, I just dyed my hair blonde" tlaw1969

ballewclan

yensidtlaw1969 said:
Umm, how does Buger King fit into Animal Kingdom?:confused: :veryconfu .

:lookaroun .

Yensid "Yeah, I just dyed my hair blonde" tlaw1969

C'mon yensid didn't you know that burger king was created in Africa? Along with Mcdonalds in Asia! DUH :wave:

KevinPage

Animals being disturned is NOT an issue. They are back in their holding pens for the night and away from an of the "open" attractions.

The whole "not to disturb the animals" line was a rationale/excuse of why the park closed early, not a legitmate reason.

Once there is enough to do at AK during the nightime, you can bet the park will stay open late enough to accomadate such.

Seaworld and Busch Gardens are open late FYI :D :D :D

S.E.A.

The article, while interesting, sounds a lot like baloney to me. Australia is already not a possibility because of the animals not being dominant enough to warrant an entire land to. Rhode himself said so. And the whole Organic mantra thing, all one has to do is look at how "organic" Dinoland U.S.A. is. And Duelling Dragons is nothing like BK's propesed coaster.

Rivers of Light sounds good though...

Hobnail Boot

Original Poster
Actually, Austrailia has a wide variety of animals not seen anywhere else in the world. Kangaroos, wallabys, koala bears, platypuses, echidnas, emus, cassowarys, a very large bat population, dingos, and a great variety of amazing birds. Austrailia also has many different terrains, including tropical rainforest, desert, scrub forest, and, off its coast, the Great Barrier Reef. Despite the fact that none of these animals are very large, I believe that yes they could hold their own in an Austrailia area.

Just my thoughts on why Austrailia IS feasible.

RCT2 Imagineer said:
Actually, Austrailia has a wide variety of animals not seen anywhere else in the world. Kangaroos, wallabys, koala bears, platypuses, echidnas, emus, cassowarys, a very large bat population, dingos, and a great variety of amazing birds. Austrailia also has many different terrains, including tropical rainforest, desert, scrub forest, and, off its coast, the Great Barrier Reef. Despite the fact that none of these animals are very large, I believe that yes they could hold their own in an Austrailia area.

Just my thoughts on why Austrailia IS feasible.

haha Australian animals have such funny names.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom