Interesting DAK Article @ LP

yensidtlaw1969

Ghostbuster626 said:
haha Australian animals have such funny names.
Very true. Here's a list of random words. See how well the animal names fit in?

Squidneeble.

Fildliyen.

Tropnoofle.

Koala.

Quanapfee.

Tombanna.

Kangaroo.

Bonchachi.

Regooglehop.

Amphlirtis.

Kookaburra.

See what I mean?

:lookaroun

Yensid " T'was brillig the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble inthe wabe
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the Momeraths outgrabe.

"Beware the Jabberwock my son!
The jawas that bite
the claws that Catch
Beware the Jub-jub bird and shun
The Frumious bandersnatch".

He took his vorpal sword in hand
Longtime the maxome foe ho sought
So rested he by the tum tum tree
And stood a while in thought.

And as in uffish thought he stood
The Jabberwock with eyes aflame
Came whilffling through the Tulgey wood
And burbled as it came.

One two, one two, And through and through
The vorpal blad went snicker snack
He left it dead and with it's head
He went Galumphing back.

"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms my beamish boy!
Oh frabjous day, Callooh, Callay"!
He chortled in his joy.

T'was brillig the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble inthe wabe
All mimsy were the borogoves
And the Momeraths outgrabe." tlaw1969

yensidtlaw1969

Lee said:
Nothing about that article I can dispute. Sounds right to me.
In that case, how would a parade called Rivers of Light (IE with no animal references in the name) fit into Animal Kingdom? In other words, what would the gist of it be?

Yensid "Pretty much if you can give us a short Park Map attraction-like description I'd be appreciative" tlaw1969

MuRkErY

Rivers of Light just sounds cool, lol.

I get the feeling AK would take on a very different vibe at night, if lit right.

Especially during this rivers of light parade, I picture it in my head being lit like Lothlorien if you have ever seen LOTR: TFOTR, loads of little lantern type lights ect... that would be on the boats, hanging in the trees, and then when they reach land it would take on a very processional type feel, walking in straight co-ordinated lines, carrying different lantern lights, torches, nice costumes, like a kind of tribal feel in the woods.

Then again, thats in my head :lookaroun

Just the impression I get from the name, lol.

Lee

Adventurer
In that case, how would a parade called Rivers of Light (IE with no animal references in the name) fit into Animal Kingdom? In other words, what would the gist of it be?

Not so much about animals as just something pretty to look at. An atmosphere sort of thing.
I haven't heard an "official" description of Rivers of Light (I don't think it's a sure thing, anyway), but what MuRkErY described is in the ballpark to what I have heard.

If they were to build an Australia pavillion would it have a ride or attraction of some sort aside from a walkthrough exhibit?

VERY big "if" right there. From all I hear, Australia is not coming anytime soon if ever. That's the only thing in the article that raised my eyebrows.

Epcot82Guy

Very interesting. I think Rivers has the most promise and is the most needed right now. However, I do think Australia has huge potential, even with the organic fears. As said, the diversity and uniqueness of animals on the island (well, any island for that biological matter) could provide a great source for ideas. I also would love to see an Ayres Rock attraction (although we don't need another huge rock formation right now) since much of the Aboriginal mythology/cultural story telling involves animals and people interacting. Could be a really cool thing to use. However, I will go on record officially as REALLY wanting some version of Beastly Kingdom or mythology to balance out Dinoland, because I think that aspect of DAK is truly lacking (meaning the creatures that never were - and never speculated to have existed). I know it's not happening anytime soon (or at all), but a guy can dream, can't he? :D

bgraham34

Even if they add the parade the chances are that I wont see it more than once. With only 4 -5 day trips for me i much rather spend my time at night at the Magic Kingdom.

Denscott

I thought I read here that the problem with Australia was that the animals are quite small and are mostly nocturnal?

Instead of Australia they should have an Antarctic land.

They could have an underground aquarium/ stadium show set inside of an ice cave with penquins and seals and whatever else is Antarctica. You wouldn't be able to see the aquarium from the paths, you would have to enter it through a crevass in the ice. The land could be set up like a research base on top. For thrills a submarine ride would be good (similar to 20,000 Leagues) and you can explore the underwater caves and see whales, seals, and of course wacky penguins. Everyone loves penguins, look at the success of March of the Penguins!!!

Epcot82Guy

Denscott said:
I thought I read here that the problem with Australia was that the animals are quite small and are mostly nocturnal?

Instead of Australia they should have an Antarctic land.

They could have an underground aquarium/ stadium show set inside of an ice cave with penquins and seals and whatever else is Antarctica. You wouldn't be able to see the aquarium from the paths, you would have to enter it through a crevass in the ice. The land could be set up like a research base on top. For thrills a submarine ride would be good (similar to 20,000 Leagues) and you can explore the underwater caves and see whales, seals, and of course wacky penguins. Everyone loves penguins, look at the success of March of the Penguins!!!

I do agree Antarctica would be a great addition. However, I think another land needs to be added to really set it back and apart (the isolated feeling it would have as the tip of the world).

Here is what a reliable source at Laughing place had to say about Australia Concept art:

"The architectural style was aboriginal (it looks very african to me). It was dominated by animal exhibits and had an Epcot look to it (much more educational than DAK currently is IMO). The plan was to draw on the cultural aspect of the continent too with street performers."

JeffH

The DAK parade

Why is the MGM motorcars parade so much more popular than the Mulan parade was? The Mulan parade was filled with large beautiful floats and colors and acrobatics, it was quite a show. The motorcars parade is made up of somewhat themed (madeover) cars, no real big deal.
Yet you could still get a good parade spot for the Mulan parade 10 minutes before the parade, and the viewing was barely 2 deep.
Like for the MK 3pm parade, people start getting spots for the motorcar parade an hour before the parade and by the time the parade begins, people are digging in pretty deep and late comers are trying to horn in on other people's spots.
So why is it so much more popular than the Mulan parade???
The inclusion of all the characters (stars), obviously.
It's the stars that make the parade, and the more the merrier.
Mulan only had Mulan stars, Motorcars has Mulan and pretty near everyone else.
---
My point is, the DAK parade is about as popular as the Mulan parade was, yet several floats are filled with...GUESTS?!?!?
Sure this is a thrill for the lucky guests who are chosen, but isn't this parade for the people lined up along the trails, who don't know the guests and don't give a mouses rear about the guests???
These 'guest' floats should be filled with AK face "Stars", like Tarzan and Jane (although their star will decline now that their show is gone), Pocahantas and John Smith, Mowgli and Shanti. Each of these floats would obvoiously be surrounded on the trail by their other characters like Turk and Tantor (2 operators), Meeko and Governor Radcliff, and Baloo and King Louie (some of which just roam the trail without any connection to the float they are walking with).
On the streets more characters like Lilo and Stitch, Jiminy Cricket and the Pooh gang, instead of the Festival of the Lion King dancers dressed in safari garb.
Perhaps a Simba / Pumbaa float for Timone to walk with.
Maybe throw in that goofy carnator from Dinoland that walks around scaring kids.

Now I bet that this parade would really pack the streets to the point that it would have to swing through Dinoland and through Asia to meet the demand!

Anomalied

Some solid attractions in Australia, and eventually Antarctica and South America would make the Animal Kingdom a very well-rounded park. Maybe then people would spend more than a few hours there.

S.E.A.

I just can't see how Australia would be considered over much more zooligically diverse regions such as South America, The Arctic, or even North America.

S.E.A. said:
I just can't see how Australia would be considered over much more zooligically diverse regions such as South America, The Arctic, or even North America.

Australia has Wallaby's...WALLABIEESS! (and Bandicoots too!)

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
from my interview with Joe Rohde, here's his reasoning for why those areas weren't added

Australia - the animals are mostly nocturnal and the size of a basketball, so we'd be left with Kangarooland

South America - Every single zoo in the US has a section devoted to this, so it would be a challenge to do it in a way that would give people a reason to go to AK rather than their local zoo.

North America - why would anyone want to travel 3000 miles to see what they can see in their backyards.

S.E.A.

mkt said:
from my interview with Joe Rohde, here's his reasoning for why those areas weren't added

Australia - the animals are mostly nocturnal and the size of a basketball, so we'd be left with Kangarooland

South America - Every single zoo in the US has a section devoted to this, so it would be a challenge to do it in a way that would give people a reason to go to AK rather than their local zoo.

North America - why would anyone want to travel 3000 miles to see what they can see in their backyards.

out of the 3, sounds like South America can be the most promising...don't imagineers like challenges?

yensidtlaw1969

S.E.A. said:
out of the 3, sounds like South America can be the most promising...don't imagineers like challenges?
True, but no matter how well done they do it and how much more incredible it is compared to a local Zoo, you know people are still gonna say "They have something just like this right here!". I don't know how hypable it would be -- ofcourse, it would be something else to do at the park once you're there, it just probably wouldn't be good at getting people there. Sometimes people are just Ignorant like that, you know?

Yensid "I do like your Idea for the Arctic . . . that could really be beautiful with animals peopl love (who dosn't like penguins and polar bears and seals!?!?!)" tlaw1969

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom