Interactive merchandise and what still works

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
We all at one time had purchased an interactive piece of merch that somehow will interact within the confines of the resort. Say a light up pin from the 100 years celebration, glow with the show ears, wand or a Talking Pal Mickey. now with the magic bands interact with the 50th statues to also name a few...But, was curious to find out if anyone has brought along one of their older items to see if it still interacts within the parks.

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
One item I find interesting is the Disney Magic Connection coming in the form of having to rent a Nintendo DS for a whopping $300! And use the system to navigate the park to interact with. Which now a days is the MDE on smartphones.

Although I do wonder if that means the software is now a rare ds software on a DS cartridge..That can be worth a pretty penny if it was ever found out there.

monorail81

We’ve got the 100 years pine, but have never brought them back to test them. I can say this, though. Because I have heard that things like My Pal Mickey don’t work is the reason I’m not buying one of the new MagicBands. Because eventually, they will quietly discontinue selling them and supporting the interactiveness of them.

Figments Friend

We all at one time had purchased an interactive piece of merch that somehow will interact within the confines of the resort. Say a light up pin from the 100 years celebration, glow with the show ears, wand or a Talking Pal Mickey. now with the magic bands interact with the 50th statues to also name a few...But, was curious to find out if anyone has brought along one of their older items to see if it still interacts within the parks.

Yes, I have several times.
Most recently was last September.
I brought along my 2001 ‘Magical Moments’ pin (100 Years of Magic pin as you noted above ).
I wanted to test it out and see if it still reacted to certain areas and inside certain Attractions again due to the introduction of the new Magicband+ bands.
I was thinking they might be set off by the same infared signals, but alas, that is not the case.
Last time I had brought it to the Park and noticed it still reacted in certain areas was 2005/2006.

I had a fully operational pin ( you could always tap it to activate a short light show ) but it did not react in the areas I clearly remember it used to do it’s specific light sequences.
The infared elements have been removed from inside the Attractions that used to set these off.

For those that want to try for themselves, the three areas I know these used to be triggered were :

MK
It’s A Small World - as soon as you enter the finale room.
Multiple flashing lights.

Peter Pan’s Flight - as soon as you fly through the nursery window in the first scene.
One steady blinking white light only ( representing the ‘first star to the right’ ).

EC
El Rio De Tempo - as soon as you exit the final room in your boat, and enter the last stretch before unload.
Crazy, multiple flashing lights…really the best one.

-

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Yes, I have several times.
Most recently was last September.
I brought along my 2001 ‘Magical Moments’ pin (100 Years of Magic pin as you noted above ).
I wanted to test it out and see if it still reacted to certain areas and inside certain Attractions again due to the introduction of the new Magicband+ bands.
I was thinking they might be set off by the same infared signals, but alas, that is not the case.
Last time I had brought it to the Park and noticed it still reacted in certain areas was 2005/2006.

I had a fully operational pin ( you could always tap it to activate a short light show ) but it did not react in the areas I clearly remember it used to do it’s specific light sequences.
The infared elements have been removed from inside the Attractions that used to set these off.

For those that want to try for themselves, the three areas I know these used to be triggered were :

MK
It’s A Small World - as soon as you enter the finale room.
Multiple flashing lights.

Peter Pan’s Flight - as soon as you fly through the nursery window in the first scene.
One steady blinking white light only ( representing the ‘first star to the right’ ).

EC
El Rio De Tempo - as soon as you exit the final room in your boat, and enter the last stretch before unload.
Crazy, multiple flashing lights…really the best one.

-
I’d like to add Ellen’s Energy Adventure. When she won Jeopardy, the pin went wild!

DisneyFanatic12

The glow with the show ears were interesting because they sold the wand up until somewhere around 2018-2019…

I’m sure that they don’t remove the interactivity triggers, but they probably stop servicing them. Something like fantasmic might still set off the glow with the show ears, but only is certain areas if some of the sensors went out. You have to remember, they aren’t in very easy to access areas usually. It’s easier to leave the stuff and let it die than to spend the money to remove the signals.

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
The glow with the show ears were interesting because they sold the wand up until somewhere around 2018-2019…

I’m sure that they don’t remove the interactivity triggers, but they probably stop servicing them. Something like fantasmic might still set off the glow with the show ears, but only is certain areas if some of the sensors went out. You have to remember, they aren’t in very easy to access areas usually. It’s easier to leave the stuff and let it die than to spend the money to remove the signals.
I have two pairs of ears and the odd looking wand..It's a shame we never got the paint brush the oversea park had..

Cmdr_Crimson

Original Poster
Im still wondering why they discontinued Pal Mickey. Did it underperform sales wise?
Probably like all things it was a thing of the past that couldn't update it's tech..

This was mentioned on The wiki about Pal Mickey..
The toy was discontinued in fall 2008. The toy continued to work until September 2014. At that point Disney stopped servicing the infrared technology to focus more on their RFID technology used in their magic bands.
I had found one at a thrift store for $2..works fine It does reference things like UoE and Splash Mountain so it is a relic now..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom