Inside Out 2

mf1972

looks ok. it’s only a teaser. my wife is a psych nurse so she gets a kick out of the whole voices in your head thing, & she totally got a kick out of the anxiety character 🤪

MerlinTheGoat

Can't really tell much from the teaser as usual. A huge red flag for me is that the main two writer and director for the original apparently aren't returning, Pete Docter and Ronnie Del Carmen. Instead, they've got Kelsey Mann directing and Meg LeFauve writing.

FeFauve was involved in the screenplay for the original, but she worked under the other two. Her scarce writing credits beyond Inside Out don't inspire confidence either, she was a writer on Captain Marvel, the Good Dinosaur and a couple of other minor things that are rather mediocre to bad. Kelsey Mann doesn't have a lot of experience as a director at all. Just two TV shows and a single Pixar short called Party Central. He was also a writer on Good Dinosaur.

I'm not innately against a sequel to Inside Out, there's some degree of sequel potential and they left it on a sort of soft cliffhanger with the puberty button. Plus it hasn't been driven into the ground and soullessly milked for profits like Toy Story after the third. But at the same time, Pixar's sequels outside of Toy Story 2 and 3 have all been pretty terrible IMO. It also really concerns me that they're attaching what appears to be lesser talent at the helm of this project. Makes me wonder if they actually have any confidence in this.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"On Thursday, Disney and Pixar debuted the first look at the highly anticipated Inside Out 2, and excitement over the new film was felt everywhere.

The first look at the sequel to the 2015 blockbuster was the biggest animated trailer launch in Disney history. The trailer—which brings viewers back into the mind of the now teenage Riley as her emotions try to keep up with her new feelings—garnered 157 million views in 24 hours. The previous record holder was 2019’s Frozen 2.

“We are thrilled so many people have tuned in to check out the new trailer for Inside Out 2,” said Pete Docter, Chief Creative Officer of Pixar. “When the first film came out, we knew that by telling a story where we could see our emotions—those little voices inside your head—there would be so much more to explore than we could possibly fit into one film.”

Docter added that director Kelsey Mann and team “have done such a great job with Inside Out 2, expanding the world and introducing new emotions that we’re very anxious for audiences to discover.”"

More at the link below.

Disney Analyst

"On Thursday, Disney and Pixar debuted the first look at the highly anticipated Inside Out 2, and excitement over the new film was felt everywhere.

The first look at the sequel to the 2015 blockbuster was the biggest animated trailer launch in Disney history. The trailer—which brings viewers back into the mind of the now teenage Riley as her emotions try to keep up with her new feelings—garnered 157 million views in 24 hours. The previous record holder was 2019’s Frozen 2.

“We are thrilled so many people have tuned in to check out the new trailer for Inside Out 2,” said Pete Docter, Chief Creative Officer of Pixar. “When the first film came out, we knew that by telling a story where we could see our emotions—those little voices inside your head—there would be so much more to explore than we could possibly fit into one film.”

Docter added that director Kelsey Mann and team “have done such a great job with Inside Out 2, expanding the world and introducing new emotions that we’re very anxious for audiences to discover.”"

More at the link below.

Just saw that on twitter. There you have it folks, IP, sequels... they have a big impact.

erasure fan1

The trailer—which brings viewers back into the mind of the now teenage Riley as her emotions try to keep up with her new feelings—garnered 157 million views in 24 hours. The previous record holder was 2019’s Frozen 2.
This really does surprise me. I really enjoyed the first movie but when it ended, I didn't even think about a sequel. I haven't been super impressed with the last batch of sequels from pixar, so hopefully this is a quality effort.

Magenta Panther

Pretty cool teaser. It helps that Inside Out 2 has a logical reason to exist, given that Riley is growing up and thus experiencing new emotions. (None of which has anything to do with PMS, thank god :cautious:). Anxiety looks like an extremely constipated Fraggle, and visually seems an ill fit with the other emotions, but that's no big deal as long as she's well-written and performed. All in all, I'm looking forward to this. Hope (shouldn't THAT be one of Riley's emotions?) that it's worth the wait...

Surferboy567

Pretty cool teaser. It helps that Inside Out 2 has a logical reason to exist, given that Riley is growing up and thus experiencing new emotions. (None of which has anything to do with PMS, thank god :cautious:). Anxiety looks like an extremely constipated Fraggle, and visually seems an ill fit with the other emotions, but that's no big deal as long as she's well-written and performed. All in all, I'm looking forward to this. Hope (shouldn't THAT be one of Riley's emotions?) that it's worth the wait...
Anxiety reminds me of the red fraggle. Nothing wrong with that just an observation.

BrianLo

Original Poster
This is Pixar’s first sequel for a different generation (Gen Z) of nostalgia so I’m also not surprised a lot of the views were on Tik Tok.

Pretty much all the other sequels we’ve gotten out of them were for millennials (90’s or early 2000 films).

I guess we finally have one movie on Disneys slate we don’t need to worry about performance wise.

Phroobar

This is Pixar’s first sequel for a different generation (Gen Z) of nostalgia so I’m also not surprised a lot of the views were on Tik Tok.

Pretty much all the other sequels we’ve gotten out of them were for millennials (90’s or early 2000 films).

I guess we finally have one movie on Disneys slate we don’t need to worry about performance wise.
I don't know about that. Would the Tik Tok group actually show up for this? Is it too babyish? Will it do better than Elemental? Will people just wait for Disney+ ? Is anyone really excited about this? Is it really that loved? All we have so far is a teaser and an idea. My current guess is it will do about the same as Elemental.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I don't know about that. Would the Tik Tok group actually show up for this? Is it too babyish? Will it do better than Elemental? Will people just wait for Disney+ ? Is anyone really excited about this? Is it really that loved? All we have so far is a teaser and an idea. My current guess is it will do about the same as Elemental.
Why would you think it be too "babyish"? Isn't the whole premise of the story about "growing up", which Gen Z (especially younger ones) has been doing. I think it would fit right into the nostalgia of Gen Z.

As for actually showing up, that is the long term question that is going to be asked for every movie going forward. Will audiences show up or just wait for streaming.

Phroobar

Why would you think it be too "babyish"? Isn't the whole premise of the story about "growing up", which Gen Z (especially younger ones) has been doing. I think it would fit right into the nostalgia of Gen Z.

As for actually showing up, that is the long term question that is going to be asked for every movie going forward. Will audiences show up or just wait for streaming.
The look and feel of the original was very toddler age. Marketing for the original was pretty much limited to little kids. Of course most pixar movies are. Was it really that beloved of a movie that Gen Z would care enough to put down their phones and go to a theater? It just feels like a weak entry for something we have seen before. More of the same stuff. My gut keeps screaming Cars 2 or Monsters University.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The look and feel of the original was very toddler age. Marketing for the original was pretty much limited to little kids. Of course most pixar movies are. Was it really that beloved of a movie that Gen Z would care enough to put down their phones and go to a theater? It just feels like a weak entry for something we have seen before. More of the same stuff. My gut keeps screaming Cars 2 or Monsters University.
Since we haven't seen a full trailer yet I don't know how this will be marketed outside it being a continuation of the first movie, just with Riley older. Maybe it'll be marketed as something for little kids, or maybe it'll be marketed as a nostalgia play, we shall see.

The first did $858M WW at theaters. I think its at least beloved enough that I still see merch for it today being worn around in public. Not to mention that everyone remembers Bing Bong, I see it still being used in Meme's today.

As I mentioned all movies going forward are going to get the, "will people actually go to theaters or just wait to watch it at home", that is just the era we live in now.

Cars 2 did better at the box office than the first, same with Monsters University. I hear people saying both were better than the originals in their opinions.

If you feel its weak, well than its probably not for you. But it may just be for the Gen Z and younger crowd. Only have to wait 6 months to see how it pans out.

Phroobar

Since we haven't seen a full trailer yet I don't know how this will be marketed outside it being a continuation of the first movie, just with Riley older. Maybe it'll be marketed as something for little kids, or maybe it'll be marketed as a nostalgia play, we shall see.

The first did $858M WW at theaters. I think its at least beloved enough that I still see merch for it today being worn around in public. Not to mention that everyone remembers Bing Bong, I see it still being used in Meme's today.

As I mentioned all movies going forward are going to get the, "will people actually go to theaters or just wait to watch it at home", that is just the era we live in now.

Cars 2 did better at the box office than the first, same with Monsters University. I hear people saying both were better than the originals in their opinions.

If you feel its weak, well than its probably not for you. But it may just be for the Gen Z and younger crowd. Only have to wait 6 months to see how it pans out.
That is very possible.

BrianLo

Original Poster

I made that comment pre-Wish, so I'm really not sure of anything per say these days. I do think the trailer uptake will translate exceedingly well to streaming viewership.

Box office on the other hand is a mystery. I'm not even sure (one way or the other) if that generation shows up to theatres reliably. Barbie and Mario were Millennial plays.

Albeit Swift was Gen Z (and Millennials) partially in droves, but that's sort of its own thing.

I don't on the other hand think Inside out is seen as a Baby-ish franchise. Unless you think all animated films are babyish, I would say by and large the Pixar brand probably skews the oldest appealing of the major animated studios.

In broad strokes. Cars is the youngest appealing Pixar IP. Mario was hitting a bit older from a nostalgia factor than Illumination normally does.

DCBaker

Premium Member
June Squibb has reportedly joined the voice cast of Inside Out 2.

"Oscar-nominated actor June Squibb has joined the voice cast of Pixar’s “Inside Out 2.”

The 94-year-old Squibb last worked with the Disney-owned studio for 2020’s “Soul” and 2019’s “Toy Story 4,” and has lent her voice to other animated projects including “Solar Opposites,” “Ralph Breaks the Internet” and “The Fungies.”

Squibb’s character details are unknown, but she joins an A-list voice cast in the sequel, which hits theaters June 14. Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith and Lewis Black return as Joy, Sadness and Anger, respectively, while Tony Hale and Liza Lapira take over for Bill Hader and Mindy Kaling as Fear and Disgust after reported salary disputes."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom