Inside Jokes in Princess and the Frog

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Princess and the Frog seems to have its share of references to other Disney films. Here are the ones I noticed, post if you saw any others. Possible spoilers ahead for those who haven't seen the film.

• The magic carpet from Aladdin is being cleaned on a balcony on the right side of the screen during the opening lines of "Down in New Orleans"
  • Lots of princess references in Charlotte's room, including doll dresses reminiscent of several Disney heoines and her dressing screen, which has a picture of a castle on it. It looks like either the Beast's castle or Prince Eric's castle. It's somewhat hard to see.
  • Tiana rides streetcar A113 during "Down in New Orleans"
  • There are several possible referential costumes during the masquerade ball, including an Aladdin and Jasmine and an Ariel
  • I've heard that the Genie's lamp is visible in Mama Odie's house, but I didn't see it
  • There's a giant King Triton float during Mardi Gras, and caricatures of the two directors of the film are throwing beads from it.
  • Louis is riding on an Aztec/Mayan themed float alongside someone wearing a llama costume--possible Emperor's New Groove reference?
  • The Firefly Five plus Lou in Tiana's Palace at the end are a reference to the Disney band Firehouse Five Plus Two

Here's one for ya that I'm not sure too many people have caught. There is a point in the movie when the Alligator (Louie??) pokes his head through some spanish moss and pulls it from his face and grabs both sides and pulls.

It was a Madam Mim (sp?) reference from Sword and the Stone. It made me smile when I saw it. I believe Mim does it when she is lying in bed sick. I can't remember though.

_Scar

Once I saw the carpet, I knew it would be a great, great movie :D

I'm guessing Lasseter had a lot of influence on putting these Easter Eggs in. Did you guys know the riverboat in the movie featured Mark Twain's bells? And A113 is classic for him.

Captain Hank

Original Poster
Didn't see the carpet, but caught everything else.

Where was it?
It's being shaken out of a balcony during the establishing shot of the city just as Dr. John's version of "Down in New Orleans" starts. It's on the right side of the screen, and is only visible for a few seconds before the camera pans away.

SuperId

Someone do me a favor and look at the voodoo dolls when they are walking and talking during Dr. Fa(not sure how to spell the shadow man's name)'s musical number; I am fairly certain that one of them is Lilo's green doll with the yellow hair and button eyes.

Captain Hank

Original Poster
I really feel like I've seen the guy who wanted to grow hair during "Down in New Orleans" somewhere before. He sort of looks like the guy from "Susie the Little Blue Coupe," seen here:
Susi_THE_LITTLE_BLUE_COUPE.JPG

But it's not an exact match. Has he appeared in another short, somewhere?

I've also seen it reported on a few other sites that a caricature of Walt Disney appears during the finale shot of Tiana's Palace.

Studios Fan

On the table right after the view of the princesses on the bookshelf in one of the opening scenes, there is a Ms. Potts lookalike.

_Scar

Someone do me a favor and look at the voodoo dolls when they are walking and talking during Dr. Fa(not sure how to spell the shadow man's name)'s musical number; I am fairly certain that one of them is Lilo's green doll with the yellow hair and button eyes.

Scrump?!

Now that you mention it... I think I remember that too!

radiohost

During the masquerade ball, as the characters are sliding on the table two guests hurry to avoid being hit. You can clearly see that the female guest is dressed up as a mermaid and she has red hair. She is in a perfect "Little Mermaid" costume.

Sorbo78

Also, one of the musicians on the Riverboat appears to be in a Timon costume. Anyone else notice that?

My wife spotted Mrs. Potts. I'll be interested to re-watch it and look for the Magic Carpet.

FigmentJedi

Walt Disney himself has a few very brief background cameos, showing up at Mardi Gras, watching the wedding procession at the end, and the easiest time to spot him, in a balcony at Tiana's restaurant at the end (upper right corner in that shot with Tiana hugging Charlotte in that final number)

disneysroyal411

No one mentioned it yet but when Tiana is scared by Prince Naveen (I think that's how you spell it) as a frog and hits the book shelf and all the princess dolls fall they're all Disney related I think and even one of them is a Princess Tiana doll, I noticed this in a trailer and so it might not be in the movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom