Insanity Pricing Officially Reached

Dr. Ludwig von Drake

FWIW, we went to the Smokey Mountains over spring break for a few days... and there was not a single hotel in Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg that was <$100. And many of those hotels were far lower quality than Dinsey value resorts. Although Dinsey definitely leads the way, hotels have gotten pretty expensive across the board.

I had some travel in DC in early June. Hotels there are $200 and up in DC and nearby Virginia, and the $200 hotels are not very nice. I paid $250 a night (well, my employer paid $250 a night) and it was only an OK room, 10 miles from where I needed to be. There was no parking fee - because parking was not provided! Co-workers I've chatted with just say that DC is an expensive place and popular with tourists in the summer, so it's going to be overpriced.

Expensive and popular. Sounds familiar.

John park hopper

It would be interesting to see the statistics on who all these people are that are driving up attendance regardless of the rising costs, Are they first or second time guests, locals, foreign. I wonder if the long time repeat guests percentage has dropped?

correcaminos

It's a common spring break time here in Florida. Plenty of FL residents will be heading to the parks at this time. I've done it in past years.
I know it is for FL. That is our spring break and we do it every single year since it is ours. It's not common for most nor are the prices super high for travel during that time :)

eliza61nyc

It would be interesting to see the statistics on who all these people are that are driving up attendance regardless of the rising costs, Are they first or second time guests, locals, foreign. I wonder if the long time repeat guests percentage has dropped?

I always wondered why that is important?? I know in my case most of the "loyal" guest spend way less money than a new comer. they aren't buying souvenirs, they know all the little tricks to save on food and aren't doing the add ons. The one and done guy is going hog wild.
Our first time?? I remember my late husband saying on the third day "Eliza, we're dropping 80 bucks a night on ICE CREAM ", we brought Micky ears for everyone, we brought tee shirts for folks back home, we ate ts twice a day".
My cousins bar in NY, he doesn't want the repeat customer who buys 1 or 2 drinks and sits at the bar. he wants the young dude who's coming in after a flyers or knicks game and dropping 400 bucks at the bar.

So what's the importance of who the "repeat guest"

eliza61nyc

I always look at sub 80 bucks. An entire house for less than 80 bucks compared to one room for 100+ is simply logical if nothing else. The ability to do laundry without having to walk to a laundry room halfway is great with two little ones. Then there's the private pool and full kitchen so we can load up on food and save money instead of buying overpriced snacks and QS items.
see for me that's not a holiday, even when my kids were small. I don't want to do laundry on vacation, I don't want to clean on vacation. In my real every day life I'm a big more logical and would definitely agree with you but one of the reasons I stay frugal most of the time is to relax on vacation.
Yes, I totally agree the snacks and other things are more expensive but the ability for mom not to have to schlep and carry crap all over the parks? "Priceless" a week without doing laundry?? "Priceless"

mdcpr

I always wondered why that is important?? I know in my case most of the "loyal" guest spend way less money than a new comer. they aren't buying souvenirs, they know all the little tricks to save on food and aren't doing the add ons. The one and done guy is going hog wild.
Our first time?? I remember my late husband saying on the third day "Eliza, we're dropping 80 bucks a night on ICE CREAM ", we brought Micky ears for everyone, we brought tee shirts for folks back home, we ate ts twice a day".
My cousins bar in NY, he doesn't want the repeat customer who buys 1 or 2 drinks and sits at the bar. he wants the young dude who's coming in after a flyers or knicks game and dropping 400 bucks at the bar.

Repeat guests are important, but for other reasons. Take this community as an example, most are repeat visitors who are marketing WDW by posting views and info and continue brand loyalty. This can't be measured in $$$, but WDW knows it helps them with marketshare.

eliza61nyc

What I wonder is what the percentage is of people actually paying rack rate.
I actually think ( and I am in no way an insider) that it probably low. Nowadays between these sites, books and word of mouth, most folks know there are discounts out there. Even if they use a TA, they would get a break.

I'd be surprised if a lot of folks where paying rack

eliza61nyc

My question --was just I wonder --no great importance. Interesting businesses don't want repeat customers
I guess "don't want" is probably not the right way to phrase it. I'm absolutely positive that they would say every guess is important.
I was thinking about how we say it's bad that Disney is losing their repeat loyal guest but if they are replacing them with new guest that will become the next loyal guest at the higher price point ...
If the loyal guy leaves and the new guy does the dessert parties and the after hours
events.
It maybe 1 waty to explain why they are not afraid of upsetting the long term visitor.
Maybe an interesting statistic would be the spending pattern of a repeat visitor vs. a one and done

Last edited:

Jayhawker

You may be surprised at how convenient it feels to pile into your own personal vehicle at your own leisure at the end of the night rather than waiting for a crowded bus at Disney's mercy. There are exceptions both ways, of course, but the first time I rented a car I loved it. Never found there to be bad traffic jams around property even during peak seasons.

Yes, I certainly agree with this. I almost always used the Disney transportation until 3 years ago when I rented a vehicle. I absolutely loved the freedom and agility this gave me. It made park hopping and visits to Disney Springs quicker, easier, and more efficient. Now it depends on how many are in your party. If you have more than 4 people and need a larger SUV or minivan then it can be expensive and possibly not worth it. So when I go with my parents and all or most of my siblings, (I am the oldest of 6 with ages from 29 to 11 years old) we will still almost always use Disney transportation. However, for the trip over this past Memorial Day with my Mom and little brother we rented a vehicle. Then in August I am going on a solo trip and am renting a car. Obviously it depends on the situation, but overall I like the flexibility and convenience that driving yourself gives you.

PolynesianPrincess

We go to WDW twice a year (at least) for a week each time. We do table service meals, we buy souvenirs, we drink the alcohol, we stay in the moderate or deluxe resorts (usually) I'm sure Disney wouldn't notice if we, as 3 repeat guests who usually spend about $10,000 per trip, stopped going but we are the type of repeat guests they like. We spend spend spend while we're there. Do we spend as much as a one and done customer? Probably not, but we spend a good amount.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I had some travel in DC in early June. Hotels there are $200 and up in DC and nearby Virginia, and the $200 hotels are not very nice. I paid $250 a night (well, my employer paid $250 a night) and it was only an OK room, 10 miles from where I needed to be. There was no parking fee - because parking was not provided! Co-workers I've chatted with just say that DC is an expensive place and popular with tourists in the summer, so it's going to be overpriced.

Expensive and popular. Sounds familiar.
Smart tourists go to DC in October or November.

Hcalvert

Smart tourists go to DC in October or November.
My school district takes our 8th grade students for their DC trip around Veteran's Day every year. In fact, I am thinking of not going this November as they will be coming back on Friday, Nov. 8 and I have a cheeky Disney trip planned Nov. 9-13 that they don't know about yet. I don't really want to walk around DC for three days (it's sometimes really cold) and be on a bus 8+ hours there and back and then shift gears to going to 75 degree+ weather right after. Thankfully, I will be flying to Orlando though, but it is an early flight and I would not get back from DC until close to midnight. Exhausting!

Last edited:

awoogala

see for me that's not a holiday, even when my kids were small. I don't want to do laundry on vacation, I don't want to clean on vacation. In my real every day life I'm a big more logical and would definitely agree with you but one of the reasons I stay frugal most of the time is to relax on vacation.
Yes, I totally agree the snacks and other things are more expensive but the ability for mom not to have to schlep and carry crap all over the parks? "Priceless" a week without doing laundry?? "Priceless"
every..time anyone tries to sell me on dvc : laundry and a kitchen! me: omg, I'm a sahm, the only thing that vacation means to me is NO LAUNDRY OR COOKING for 7 days. LMAO. seriously (now, we usually do bagels in the room or whatever for breakfast, because we each grab one while other people are dressing/whatever, but that isn't COOKING). If I'm doing cooking, I better just get a house on a beach for a week- then, at least, the husband is grilling, and I'm just throwing a salad together. lol

awoogala

Yes, I certainly agree with this. I almost always used the Disney transportation until 3 years ago when I rented a vehicle. I absolutely loved the freedom and agility this gave me. It made park hopping and visits to Disney Springs quicker, easier, and more efficient. Now it depends on how many are in your party. If you have more than 4 people and need a larger SUV or minivan then it can be expensive and possibly not worth it. So when I go with my parents and all or most of my siblings, (I am the oldest of 6 with ages from 29 to 11 years old) we will still almost always use Disney transportation. However, for the trip over this past Memorial Day with my Mom and little brother we rented a vehicle. Then in August I am going on a solo trip and am renting a car. Obviously it depends on the situation, but overall I like the flexibility and convenience that driving yourself gives you.
I like not driving at Disney. When we priced renting compared to 2 trips with lyft a day, the lyft was- comparable price wise, and I can buy my cocktails, and never have to take a tram, or remember where I parked, or pay parking fees.

N-IG-MA

For March 16 - 22, 2020, a standard room at Pop Century is going for $213.33 per night.

I really don't know what to say other than that we have officially reached "insanity level" on resort pricing.

I know these are rack rates and that Disney could offer discounts down the line, but still... a rack rate of $213.33 per night for a standard room at a value resort?

Good grief.
Sit out a year - take that $ and buy DIS stock instead. Sit back and watch your capital gains generated by the new park rides, resorts, ships, amenities, movies, business segments put in with the capital expenditures being paid for with new profits - then go the following year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom