Insanity Pricing Officially Reached

DisneyDreamer08

Our ADR window opened today for our January trip. We were originally going to do CRT but after getting the final price for our family of 4, decided it was not worth the price. I don’t know if this means anything in the grand scheme of things, but I just checked online for the heck of it and there are tons of open times on the day we were originally planning on going. I remember going there years ago and if you didn’t book it first thing when the phone lines opened, you were out of luck.
🤷‍♀️

drizgirl

Our ADR window opened today for our January trip. We were originally going to do CRT but after getting the final price for our family of 4, decided it was not worth the price. I don’t know if this means anything in the grand scheme of things, but I just checked online for the heck of it and there are tons of open times on the day we were originally planning on going. I remember going there years ago and if you didn’t book it first thing when the phone lines opened, you were out of luck.
🤷‍♀️
It hasn't been that way in a while. Generally not since they added the characters for all 3 meals (it used to be only breakfast). Sadly though, it will sell out at that price. Sooner rather than later.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Scott obviously didn't do his homework if he thinks a family of four can stay for five nights and drop $5,000.
Actually, that's not hard to do if the family of four (a) stays in one room, (b) uses available discounts, and (c) limits their TS meals to one a day.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Actually, that's not hard to do if the family of four (a) stays in one room, (b) uses available discounts, and (c) limits their TS meals to one a day.

They limit it to value, they drive, and don't fly. If they're on a strict budget vacation, it's definitely do-able, but that's the exception to the rule.

bugsbunny

Pop Century has always been ridiculous priced for what is basically a motel room. It might be called "value", but I'm not exactly sure what value was ever in it. But anyway, out of curiosity, I checked March 2020 for Fort Wilderness campsites if I wanted a full hookup site for my trailer. I wasn't disappointed.

For March of 2020, it is $211/night for a premium site. That's $211/night for a 18'x60' CAMPSITE.. But I guarantee they will all be full because the market will bear it.

bryanfze55

Pop Century has always been ridiculous priced for what is basically a motel room. It might be called "value", but I'm not exactly sure what value was ever in it. But anyway, out of curiosity, I checked March 2020 for Fort Wilderness campsites if I wanted a full hookup site for my trailer. I wasn't disappointed.

For March of 2020, it is $211/night for a premium site. That's $211/night for a 18'x60' CAMPSITE.. But I guarantee they will all be full because the market will bear it.

Even motels are prices high when the demand is there. Check out the motel costs in Moab, UT or Estes Park, CO during peak season. You can’t expect Pop Century to be priced equivalent to a Motel 6 in the middle of nowhere. For one, yes it’s a motel, but the service is great and the rooms are clean. Also, you get the perks of staying onsite (even though those perks are becoming less substantial). I have Pop Century booked this December for $150/night. I think that’s a fair price. I’m not sure what the price is for 2020. I’m sure the gondolas have pushed up the cost. I guess I’ll check them out this December and see if they’re worth the additional cost.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Even motels are prices high when the demand is there. Check out the motel costs in Moab, UT or Estes Park, CO during peak season. You can’t expect Pop Century to be priced equivalent to a Motel 6 in the middle of nowhere. For one, yes it’s a motel, but the service is great and the rooms are clean. Also, you get the perks of staying onsite (even though those perks are becoming less substantial). I have Pop Century booked this December for $150/night. I think that’s a fair price. I’m not sure what the price is for 2020. I’m sure the gondolas have pushed up the cost. I guess I’ll check them out this December and see if they’re worth the additional cost.

In my opinion the gondolas are ugly and take away the beauty of the property, but I'll bet most guests will love them.

bugsbunny

I realize location means everything, but I guess my opinion is relative to amount of traveling I do. I'm Marriott Titanium level and I'm in one of their hotels 75+ nights a year. I travel all over the country and stay at quite a different level of their hotels. All are obviously not created equal, but in the end, Pop is just a clean motel room. Even with the lowest Marriott level, like a Courtyard, they at least have a lobby and connecting hallways to the room. And if you don't pay extra for the Pop preferred rooms, I think it's absurd you have to walk a quarter mile to the lobby just to get a cup of coffee in the morning. :D But I will say that the pools and theming are amazing at all the Disney hotels 👍

And yes, I have stayed at All Stars and Pop numerous times over the years. After a few times, I moved "up" to moderates, which again go with the motel layout, but instead you most likely have to take a bus to get a cup of coffee :joyfull: I eventually learned that renting a house with its own pool, game room, and hot tub was half the price. I know for some folks staying off property is blasphemy, but I guess I got to point where I realize that when I close my eyes to go to sleep each night, the hotels all look the same to me :D

But to each his/her own. As long as you think you are spending wisely and enjoying yourself, that is all that matters. Enjoy.

bryanfze55

I realize location means everything, but I guess my opinion is relative to amount of traveling I do. I'm Marriott Titanium level and I'm in one of their hotels 75+ nights a year. I travel all over the country and stay at quite a different level of their hotels. All are obviously not created equal, but in the end, Pop is just a clean motel room. Even with the lowest Marriott level, like a Courtyard, they at least have a lobby and connecting hallways to the room. And if you don't pay extra for the Pop preferred rooms, I think it's absurd you have to walk a quarter mile to the lobby just to get a cup of coffee in the morning. :D But I will say that the pools and theming are amazing at all the Disney hotels 👍

And yes, I have stayed at All Stars and Pop numerous times over the years. After a few times, I moved "up" to moderates, which again go with the motel layout, but instead you most likely have to take a bus to get a cup of coffee :joyfull: I eventually learned that renting a house with its own pool, game room, and hot tub was half the price. I know for some folks staying off property is blasphemy, but I guess I got to point where I realize that when I close my eyes to go to sleep each night, the hotels all look the same to me :D

But to each his/her own. As long as you think you are spending wisely and enjoying yourself, that is all that matters. Enjoy.

Absolutely! With all the recent price increases, I might have to look offsite soon. I just looked at Oct. 2020, and Pop is going for $200/night. 😮

I’ve never stayed offsite. I think the thing that scares me is driving to Magic Kingdom. I’ve heard it’s a nightmare.

bugsbunny

Absolutely! With all the recent price increases, I might have to look offsite soon. I just looked at Oct. 2020, and Pop is going for $200/night. 😮

I’ve never stayed offsite. I think the thing that scares me is driving to Magic Kingdom. I’ve heard it’s a nightmare.

I use to rent a house in the Windsor Hills development through All Star vacation homes. It's like 2-3 miles south of Animal Kingdom. On the days we would go to MK, we would make reservations for breakfast at Fort Wilderness. Park in their lot, eat at Trails End, and take it's own boat over to MK. A lot less stressful then fighting the wave to the TTC ferry, IMHO. You can also eat at Chef Mickey at Contemporary and then walk over to MK. You used to be able to just do a quick counter service, but I think you now actually have to have reservations or else they charge you the full parking fee. Either way, I think it's better than having to go through the TTC for MK, if you can avoid it.

Disstevefan1

🤷‍♀️

You should consider off site. There are excellent options in the lake buena vista / Disney springs area. Many hotels of higher quality than onsite for less. And they have shuttles.

If you don't mind driving, they have great vacation homes you can rent very nice with your own pool etc. also less per night than on site.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
They limit it to value, they drive, and don't fly. If they're on a strict budget vacation, it's definitely do-able, but that's the exception to the rule.
Our trip last Sept would have been $3750 if we had stayed in one room (4 days, 5 nights BC waterview, one TS per day, using military discounts).

Pucks104

It would be interesting to see the statistics on who all these people are that are driving up attendance regardless of the rising costs, Are they first or second time guests, locals, foreign. I wonder if the long time repeat guests percentage has dropped?
DH and I haven’t been to Disney in 30 years. We are treating ourselves to a couple trip in September 2019. May never make it back. DS and DIL did a 10 day trip to the Greek Isles last year for a 1/3 less than our 7 night stay at the Yacht Club. We’ll probably opt for Greece next vacation but wanted to visit Disney once more.

eliza61nyc

DH and I haven’t been to Disney in 30 years. We are treating ourselves to a couple trip in September 2019. May never make it back. DS and DIL did a 10 day trip to the Greek Isles last year for a 1/3 less than our 7 night stay at the Yacht Club. We’ll probably opt for Greece next vacation but wanted to visit Disney once more.
Wow, I'm going to Greece 9/13. it's costing me 5K per person. we're doing 2 days on Athens, 3 days on Santorini and 2 days Mykonos. so already 10k without eating and souvenirs. direct flight out of philly on American.

daisyduckie

Just yesterday I was pricing a trip to Mackinaw City. For a 2 star motel (and they are definitely 2 star motels) because it is in season most are $249 a night. I have to drive 4 hours, haul all of my stuff up to my room, and then drive wherever I want to go. Or if I want to go to the island pay $27 for the ferry ride to get there, and then pay more if I want to rent a bike, or ride buggy. The food will all be $$ and it won't be anything fancy, just burgers or pizza.

Whenever people complain about the Disney "motels" I don't think they have ever stayed in a real motel.

BoarderPhreak

Wow, I'm going to Greece 9/13. it's costing me 5K per person. we're doing 2 days on Athens, 3 days on Santorini and 2 days Mykonos. so already 10k without eating and souvenirs. direct flight out of philly on American.
Can't say I've priced anything to Greece, but I have to other parts of the EU. The problem is the summer (which September still arguably falls under) is the worst time as far as flight prices. Go figure, in the colder months but even around Christmas - are quite "reasonable." That said, international flights are insane. A lifetime ago, you could roll up to the airport and pick a time to fly amongst numerous carriers, all flying roomy 747s for about $600-800 pp/rt. Then again, you also got real silverware and edible food. 🤷‍♂️

eliza61nyc

Can't say I've priced anything to Greece, but I have to other parts of the EU. The problem is the summer (which September still arguably falls under) is the worst time as far as flight prices. Go figure, in the colder months but even around Christmas - are quite "reasonable." That said, international flights are insane. A lifetime ago, you could roll up to the airport and pick a time to fly amongst numerous carriers, all flying roomy 747s for about $600-800 pp/rt. Then again, you also got real silverware and edible food. 🤷‍♂️
Got that right Boarder, we have R/T from Philly, on American with 1 stop 1660.00 each
Insane indeed

joshwill

back when i first started going to Disney, a room at the values was around $35 or so. as i was living in south florida, i would come up 2-4 times a year for 4-5 days.

if id not since moved to the area and became a CM, id not longer be able to afford that. maybe once a year if that.

RobWDW1971

We stayed offsite last year after 11 onsite trips. We enjoyed much more than we thought. Stayed at the Caribe Royale which would be about equivalent to a moderate room but with DVC space. Spent less than $200 per night including parking at the resort and at Disney. I'm not sure if we'll ever stay on property again- we are well off and could afford it, but I am not willing to pay the price for what you get. We have learned to have just as much fun with less days and food at the parks.

Exactly. I "can" afford it and pay those prices when I'm in NYC or London, but I'm not going to pay those prices for what the WDW resorts have become. The Kool-Aid has worn off and where there was a time 20 years ago that I "had" to stay on property, now I'm very happy booking at a hotel off property, renting my car, and enjoying my time between Universal and the Disney parks. Saving a few bucks on parking every day vs. having to wait for busses, etc. is an easy trade off for me.

And frankly, I've stayed at all of the Universal hotels over the years and they seem to be trying harder than Disney. Disney reached that incredibly unique plateau where people will keep paying no matter what happens to the quality and just rode that wave of nostalgia/complacency for the past decade. They have every right to get every dollar they can and I don't begrudge them a bit, I'm just taking happily taking my business elsewhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom