Indy Stunt Show German Fighter Question

VinnieG

Original Poster
I was watching one of my Disney home movies from 1991 of the Indy stunt show.On the German fighter on it's tail it had a Swatstika on it but now it has a black cross. When did they change the insignia on the fighter?

civileng68

Account Suspended
?

Originally posted by marni1971
No idea...but well spotted! Anyone know this one??

I dont know when but I'm sure it happened when the huge political correctness move came through.

I dont mind removing the swastica though. In fact, I'm surprised they'd have put it there to begin with, and I normally dont even care about political correctness.

Tom

Beta Return
I hate "PC"! Pirates, Indy, what next?!?! They're reinacting HISTORY. Pirates actioned off ladies, and chased them when they looted towns - that's just hostory. Disney didn't invent it.

And in the Indy movies, the swasticas were there, because those characters were NAZIS! Again, Disney did not make the decision to plaster swasticas all over the set for the heck of it, they were simply acurately recreating the movie.

Man, I hate it when people are offended by things that are being reinacted, recreated, or are a part of history. Ugh

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Originally posted by edwardtc
I hate "PC"! Pirates, Indy, what next?!?! They're reinacting HISTORY.

Ah but its a Hollywood history, never let a historical fact get in the way of a positive audience reaction.

Dayma

How are you supposed to explain to a child what the symbol means while in the Happiest Place on Earth?

I agree with the move!

Pumbas Nakasak

Originally posted by blackride
How are you supposed to explain to a child what the symbol means while in the Happiest Place on Earth?

I agree with the move!

The same way as you try to explain the bad manners, poor behaviour, bouncing cheer leaders and BO infested individuals.

You could just point out that it was an ancient symbol that an evil regime corrupted and used as their own insignia.

1disneydood

I agree with the move!

I'd explain that the Nazis are the "bad guys" and the "good guys" triumph in the end, this instance. ;) It's stuff like that that will make my kid stronger than those kids that are sheltered from the real world. They'll be adults in a world more chaotic than now so I feel like they need the truth.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Originally posted by edwardtc
Man, I hate it when people are offended by things that are being reinacted, recreated, or are a part of history. Ugh
You can't change history - you can just make the present a little less sensitive :hammer:

Dayma

It's stuff like that that will make my kid stronger than those kids that are sheltered from the real world

Whatever works for you.......I personal dont compare my child to others

Also being Jewish I feel that I owe it to my child to explain our FULL history. This is just my personal opinion so I dont want to get into how to raise your child or anything silly like that but people do have to realize that this does "hit home" for many people and I can see how Disney would not want to upset anyone due to a movie! Dont forget this is not Schindlers List where there is Historic value, its Indiana Jones.

Remember that the German Air Force (Luftwaffe), used the black cross on their planes instead of the swastika. White Circle within a red circle and the black cross on the white circle.

A little more realism is actually what they gave you. Nevermind the fact that the plane would never ever make it off the ground. It doesn't even appear close to anything they flew back then.

Leave it to a WWII recreational history fan to know these things. That and I played Axis & Allies yesterday.

Pumbas Nakasak

Originally posted by EnSkywalker
Remember that the German Air Force (Luftwaffe), used the black cross on their planes instead of the swastika. White Circle within a red circle and the black cross on the white circle.

Well actually many had the swastika on the tailplane, which is where im sure the markings were at Indy.

tigsmom

I agree with the move!

My kids know about swastikas because they have been painted on the temples in town and the HS repeatedly this past year. Its a great chance to explain history and how wrong these acts are. Life is a learning experience, no matter where you are.
I also agree with trying to re write history. It shouldn't be done. We learn from our mistakes or we are doomed to repeat them. (wow! How did my dad creep in here? :lol: )

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom