Indian Larry RIP

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Original Poster
Met him at a Sunday brunch, of all things, when he just happened to be staying in the same New Orleans Marriot as me earlier this year.

73022.jpg

tigsmom

I just read this...had never heard of him before.

I don't understand why anyone would ride without a helmet...expecially doing stunts.

Boo's Mom

My neighbor met him a few months ago when he came to Richmond, VA. He sat on his bike and talked to him for about 30 min. Its a shame. RIP Indian Larry

WDWFREAK53

Wow...I was just watching him on the Great Biker Buildoff...without a doubt one of the pioneers of custom bikes.

RIP Larry.

Atta83

Its very sad. Sometimes bikers feel that they have done their stunts so many times that they feel safe doing them and do not need the helmet. I know when ever i go riding with my dad or by myself my helmet is always on when riding my motorcycle. RIP Larry.:( Enjoy the ride up there.

barnum42

Atta83 said:
Its very sad. Sometimes bikers feel that they have done their stunts so many times that they feel safe doing them and do not need the helmet. I know when ever i go riding with my dad or by myself my helmet is always on when riding my motorcycle. RIP Larry.:( Enjoy the ride up there.
Even were it not legal, I always wear my full face helmet when out on the maxi-scooter. I also wear the full jacket and gloves, even in summer (not that we had much of one this year). One of the wisest bits of advice I heard when learning was "dress for the crash, not the ride". This is all backed up by my experience of having made a mess of my face falling off a bicycle.

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Original Poster
I've wrecked a couple times, and the first time I almost certainly would have died if I wasn't wearing a helmet.

We've got a helmet law in Jersey, and I'd probably wear one 99% of the time if we didn't, but I do go out in the summer with only a helmet (no gloves or jacket).

If I was really concerned about safety, I'd just sell it and stick to four wheels (which I've thought about several times after hearing of particularly bad accidents).

I don't want to put words in Indian Larry's mouth, but he lived life his way. If he didn't do the things he did, he might have lived longer physically, but his spirit would have died long ago.

darthdarrel

I do not know who this guy was or what he did, but it is always a tragedy to hear of ones death. I had 2 friends who were killed in motorcycle accidents, one was wearing a helmet the other one wasn't. It is that reason that I will not get onto a motocycle, even if it is not moving. :(

Not For Sale

barnum42 said:
Even were it not legal, I always wear my full face helmet when out on the maxi-scooter. I also wear the full jacket and gloves, even in summer (not that we had much of one this year). One of the wisest bits of advice I heard when learning was "dress for the crash, not the ride". This is all backed up by my experience of having made a mess of my face falling off a bicycle.

Weren't you a tightrope walker? :veryconfu

Moonshadow1

In regards to how he lived his life. He was asked on day if he was nuts for not wearing the proper gear. His respose was along the lines of: I believe God will take care of me, If not then that was part of the plan. Different strokes etc etc. At least he passed doing something he loved.

barnum42

Not For Sale said:
Weren't you a tightrope walker? :veryconfu
Just for the one stageshow and no higher than seven feet. I wish I wore gloves when I did it because I shredded my hands on the cable.

Not For Sale

barnum42 said:
Just for the one stageshow and no higher than seven feet. I wish I wore gloves when I did it because I shredded my hands on the cable.

Welll that explains in doesn't it?

I shouldn't be the one to criticize. I have never been on a tightrope or on a motorcycle.

barnum42

Not For Sale said:
Welll that explains in doesn't it?

I shouldn't be the one to criticize. I have never been on a tightrope or on a motorcycle.
Until two and a half years ago I had only been on a tightrope. Then I got a new job that involved spending an hour in traffic to get there. It's less than 20 minutes on the big scooter and now I use it to go most places. Seventy odd miles per gallon and free parking are a big bonus. Remember gas/petrol costs us about $6 a gallon.

MouseMadness

Makes me think of the line from Shawshank Redemption they keep showing on t.v. "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." (I meant to quote what Gary said here, about him living life his way)

garyhoov

Trophy Husband
Original Poster
MouseMadness said:
Makes me think of the line from Shawshank Redemption they keep showing on t.v. "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'." (I meant to quote what Gary said here, about him living life his way)
Wow! That's a cool quote!

I never got to see the whole movie because Linda turned off saying something along the lines of: "I'm not really in the mood for a prison rape scene."

(She's a very odd woman at times. Doesn't like Disney, doesn't like prison rape scenes, yet she married me, and I'm about the closest thing you can get to a walking combination of Disney and a prison rape scene.)

MouseMadness

garyhoov said:
Wow! That's a cool quote!

I never got to see the whole movie because Linda turned off saying something along the lines of: "I'm not really in the mood for a prison rape scene."

There's just no pleasing some people, sheesh! :rolleyes: :lookaroun

garyhoov said:
(She's a very odd woman at times. Doesn't like Disney, doesn't like prison rape scenes, yet she married me, and I'm about the closest thing you can get to a walking combination of Disney and a prison rape scene.)

AAaaaaaaaaand I now need to clean off my computer screen. :lol: :lol:

Okay, a spoiler for all those who haven't seen it... no rape is actually shown. It's one of my favorite movies of all time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom