Incredibles 2 -- SPOILER Discussion / Reviews

BrianLo

Okay, so after this movie, I've decided that I'm a bit tired of the "Secret Villain in Plain Sight" trope that's been in play for awhile now at Pixar and Disney. What was the last Disney villain to truly flaunt their badness around? Gothel? (I'm not including the crab from Moana, he wasn't really the true villain of the film... if that film had a villain at all)

Disney:
  • Wreck-It Ralph
  • Frozen
  • Big Hero 6
  • Zootopia
Pixar:
  • Toy Story 2
  • Monsters, Inc (Randall was pretty openly evil, but Waternoose was the hidden mastermind)
  • WALL-E (though this one is debatable)
  • Up
  • Cars 2
  • Coco
  • Incredibles 2
Sure, it seems to be more of a Disney problem at the moment than a Pixar problem, but it just feels tired (Marvel has done this too in a couple of cases, but they're usually pretty open about who the villains are, so it hasn't reached a tired point yet).

Yes, although I thought some of them worked surprisingly well, that's probably why they keep going for it.

Frozen I was honestly shocked about. Part of that had to do with the marketing of the film that fairly prominently featured Hans coupled off. I think the first thought that honestly crossed my mind was that they didn't bother to let the toy makers know he was the villain. I found Zootopia and Coco did it reasonably well too.

Part of the problem is Incredibles already sort of did it once before, so I spent my time guessing at it.

My favourite villain though is Lotso from a weird marketing perspective. They looooooveeee Lotso in China and I don't think honestly know he is a villain.

Princess Leia

Yes, although I thought some of them worked surprisingly well, that's probably why they keep going for it.

Frozen I was honestly shocked about. Part of that had to do with the marketing of the film that fairly prominently featured Hans coupled off. I think the first thought that honestly crossed my mind was that they didn't bother to let the toy makers know he was the villain. I found Zootopia and Coco did it reasonably well too.

Part of the problem is Incredibles already sort of did it once before, so I spent my time guessing at it.

My favourite villain though is Lotso from a weird marketing perspective. They looooooveeee Lotso in China and I don't think honestly know he is a villain.
I would have been a tiny bit more shocked about Hans if I didn’t see something on Tumblr or Facebook about him being a descendant of Gaston. But even then, I only guessed that maybe he would just be a jerk about Elsa’s ice powers, instead of actually being a real villain.

Wreck It Ralph was pretty great with the reveal of Turbo, because again, I didn’t see that coming. Big Hero 6 though, saw that reveal coming from the minute the character was introduced.

I just miss having great villain songs in Disney movies.

britain

Incredibles 2 was a whole lotta fun, plenty of terrific sequences but painfully predictable story. Less restrained cool than first film, and more manic silliness. And first film had a simple ‘being untrue to yourself leads to midlife crisis & family dysfunction’ theme. There are plenty of fragments of various themes in I2, but nothing sticks together.

Additional Thoughts:

Is Evelyn Deavor some attempt of Brad Bird’s to slam MegaMind via Roxanne Richie?

I never like ‘Hero is hypnotized to serve the villain’ plotlines. Didn’t like it in Temple of Doom, don’t like it now.

The music is exquisite! Especially love Elastigirl’s and Frozone’s themes. Go Go Giacchino!

Princess Leia

Love Is An Open Door.
The crab (why can I never remember his name) wasn’t the real villain of the movie. Good song though (especially the Bowie nature).

I know Love Is an Open Door is the closest thing we have to a villain song in Frozen, but it’s nothing like the Renaissance villain songs- Poor Unfortunate Souls, Gaston, Be Prepared, Mine Mine Mine, Hellfire.

SuddenStorm

Okay, so after this movie, I've decided that I'm a bit tired of the "Secret Villain in Plain Sight" trope that's been in play for awhile now at Pixar and Disney. What was the last Disney villain to truly flaunt their badness around? Gothel? (I'm not including the crab from Moana, he wasn't really the true villain of the film... if that film had a villain at all)

Disney:
  • Wreck-It Ralph
  • Frozen
  • Big Hero 6
  • Zootopia
Pixar:
  • Toy Story 2
  • Monsters, Inc (Randall was pretty openly evil, but Waternoose was the hidden mastermind)
  • WALL-E (though this one is debatable)
  • Up
  • Cars 2
  • Coco
  • Incredibles 2
Sure, it seems to be more of a Disney problem at the moment than a Pixar problem, but it just feels tired (Marvel has done this too in a couple of cases, but they're usually pretty open about who the villains are, so it hasn't reached a tired point yet).

Don't forget Toy Story 3! It's getting tiring and ridiculous at this point. Hopefully without Lasseter, Both animation studios will evolve and move on.

SuddenStorm

Not surprised that everyone loves this movie, since it's almost a carbon copy of the first.

An opening segment that explains why super heroes are illegal.

Our lead is hired to do privately funded missionary work that appears to be good, but is secretly ran by a mastermind who wants to do away with supers.

It's almost frustrating how little new ground this film covered. I guess playing it safe was the smart thing to do- audiences are certainly loving it, but I would have preferred a little more story development.

DisneyFan18

The crab (why can I never remember his name) wasn’t the real villain of the movie. Good song though (especially the Bowie nature).

I know Love Is an Open Door is the closest thing we have to a villain song in Frozen, but it’s nothing like the Renaissance villain songs- Poor Unfortunate Souls, Gaston, Be Prepared, Mine Mine Mine, Hellfire.
One could consider also consider Remember Me as Ernesto's Villain Song, because it when he sings it doesn't hold the same meaning, it reflects his aspiration for fame and being remembered, as well as you know what he did to get that song...

tribbleorlfl

We finally got to see it this past weekend and enjoyed it. We saw the first one on my birthday when my wife was 6 months pregnant with our first, so it was really neat "full circle" moment to take him to see the sequel.

I'll tell you, though, my absolute favorite part of this film (and the original) is the mid-century design. I love the aesthetic, so much so that most of our home is furnished in it! The curved star/diamond shape in the DevTech logo is prominently displayed on our bedroom and dining sets. If there is an "Art of" book for this one, definitely will be picking it up.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
We finally got to see it this past weekend and enjoyed it. We saw the first one on my birthday when my wife was 6 months pregnant with our first, so it was really neat "full circle" moment to take him to see the sequel.

I'll tell you, though, my absolute favorite part of this film (and the original) is the mid-century design. I love the aesthetic, so much so that most of our home is furnished in it! The curved star/diamond shape in the DevTech logo is prominently displayed on our bedroom and dining sets. If there is an "Art of" book for this one, definitely will be picking it up.

There is a book! :)

The Art of Incredibles 2 https://www.amazon.com/dp/1452163847/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Sr-oBbWT6NDK6

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Among the 20 Pixar movies I2 is 11th in critical acclaim (I1 was 9th); and 6th in B.O. (so far) (I1 is 9th, not accounting for inflation).

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
Can you post the full list?

By critical score (average of RT critic's score and MetaCritic)...

1531229921952.png

By Box Office...

1531229968227.png

TwilightZone

I'm a late watcher of incredibles 2, forgive me for my birthday being so late.
Incredibles 2 was pretty good. Loved the action, the parts with bob being a parent are funny.
Screenslaver is the best twist villain so far. Not only do they actually hint it well, unlike some other villains (Hans), but her motivations are relatable and understandable, even if the dad thing was kinda stupid.
Anyways give it a watch when and if you can!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom