Incompetant Travel Agent - UK

IWantMyMagicBand

So - a few of you may have seen the thread where my TA said that OKW were stopping dining plan, and we had booked free dining and so would we want to stay at Saratoga as WDW are going to revoke free dining at OKW and our booking will be cancelled, even after I called Disney and asked them (though I knew the answer anyway!). Then too be told that the only way my booking could be secured was through the TA's Disney rep. Ugh so I asked for the confirmation number as I need to link to MDE, they said it would be a week. I emailed them a week later - nothing. I emailed again today and just got an email back saying that "Disney do not release confirmation numbers until 5 months before". Now you and I both know this is BS as how the eff would I be able to book ADRs 180 days before without it.
My TA has our booking through USAirtours (TA is like a broker). USAirtours will only talk to TA. Disney will only talk to USAirtours (I've tried to bypass many times last time I booked lol, it was noted on the booking that it was through a TA and Disney would only talk to who booked it).
We were originally booked for October this year but had to rebook due to my cancer treatment to next year. We paid 1200 GBP at time of booking, then in August got a message saying we need to pay more off our balance to resecure the booking as Virgin Atlantic were fine but Disney needed an amendment charge. Our total cost of booking would not go up. So the TA has 2100GBP of our money and is effing up at every chance. They know I know all there is to know about Disney as they gave out my number to help people plan their Disney holiday. And they know that my dad, who is paying for this, has his own property in Orlando and wants us to stay there. And the reasons why I can't stay there (offsite, no transport, NOT DISNEY etc)
Anyway, not sure what I am expecting to get back from you guys, if anything, but really needed to vent before I go in there tomorrow and give em what for.

Sparkle81

I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you :( It makes me furious that companies can behave like this anyway but people are booking trips to the Most Magical Place On Earth, it makes me really sad that they're taking some of the joy away from that. It's a horrible impression to make, especially for those whose trip might be their first to WDW.
I hope you get some sort of resolution when you talk to them today. Being armed with the kind of knowledge that you have. I'm sure you will :) Good luck!

Upvote 0

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
So, I went in there again today. I asked for some form of written confirmation of my trip next year, was told US airtours haven't given it and that they won't until the return flight can be booked. I asked could they call USairtours on speaker to verify/prove it. At this point the TA got aggressive and said he didn't have to prove anything and all these problems started with me changing the dates, he's pulled in favours blah blah blah. Basic BS and I said if it was such a problem changing the date then they should have said at the time. I said he must understand how strange it is that I had a booking then he said an element (DDP) was changing then all of a sudden I'm the reps cousin (which he now says there are 4 of, I corrected him and said last time he told me there was 6) and that I don't care what I walk out with so long as it's confirmation for next year. He flat out refused. I actually got upset, out of sheer frustration more than anything, and at some point he called me stupid (which I am far from). I couldn't physically talk so grabbed my 3 year old and left.
Came home and called ABTA who are the regulatory body and they said it's illegal for him to refuse a receipt and that they wanted all correspondence and they will investigate for me.
Phew. Again, I'm not looking for a response but it feels cathartic to get it written down, if only to see how ridiculous the situation is!

Upvote 0

ArielLover

So, I went in there again today. I asked for some form of written confirmation of my trip next year, was told US airtours haven't given it and that they won't until the return flight can be booked. I asked could they call USairtours on speaker to verify/prove it. At this point the TA got aggressive and said he didn't have to prove anything and all these problems started with me changing the dates, he's pulled in favours blah blah blah. Basic BS and I said if it was such a problem changing the date then they should have said at the time. I said he must understand how strange it is that I had a booking then he said an element (DDP) was changing then all of a sudden I'm the reps cousin (which he now says there are 4 of, I corrected him and said last time he told me there was 6) and that I don't care what I walk out with so long as it's confirmation for next year. He flat out refused. I actually got upset, out of sheer frustration more than anything, and at some point he called me stupid (which I am far from). I couldn't physically talk so grabbed my 3 year old and left.
Came home and called ABTA who are the regulatory body and they said it's illegal for him to refuse a receipt and that they wanted all correspondence and they will investigate for me.
Phew. Again, I'm not looking for a response but it feels cathartic to get it written down, if only to see how ridiculous the situation is!
Is it to late to cancel, get a refund, and book with someone else?

Upvote 0

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
I spoke to USairtours and there is no accommodation attached to my booking, so all that BS was to put me off the scent of his errors. I have sent a huge email to abta. I am more than upset right now.

Upvote 0

Mukta

I can't imagine what you are going through. I would be extremely upset also. I have no advice as I have no experience with this, but I hope that it is resolved soon.

Upvote 0

ExtinctJenn

I remember reading your post about the dining plan mess last week I think it was. I can't believe just how much more of a mess this has become for you. I feel so bad for you! This is kind of why we never book through a travel agent and book our own trips through Disney directly. Sadly, I just don't trust anyone else to plan the trip I want, the way I want it, without screwing it up or not giving me information I'd need to add to it (i.e. ADRs, FP+ etc.). I tried to take advantage of an authorized Disney Travel person earlier this year and within 24 hours it blew up in my face, further telling me I was right to want to be in control. NOW that said, I've heard AWESOME things about some of the Disney Travel folks that many people on this site have used and don't want to paint a picture that they don't know what they are doing at all. The majority of those folks are incredible and make your experience so much easier. Just me, as a control freak in every aspect of my life, I prefer to take the reins. :)

Upvote 0

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
Ok, So did use a credit card but my dad booked it. Because I don't want him to know of the troubles because he will just play "Stay at mine" card (offsite, bahama bay) and also if he did know how I had been treated then he travel agent will be lucky to walk again, I have kept quiet. I need Abta to instruct me for now.
And tonight, I got side smashed on a roundabout (I appreciate that most US residents have no idea what this is). My car was totalled. I am fully expecting to be burgled tonight just to round things off lol. Yes lol, I have to lol or I will cry :(

Upvote 0

Mukta

Oh no! We have a roundabout here in my town, but you are right, there are rare here in the States. I am so sorry that so much is going wrong at once. I hope that everything gets better soon.

Upvote 0

IWantMyMagicBand

Original Poster
Oh no! We have a roundabout here in my town, but you are right, there are rare here in the States. I am so sorry that so much is going wrong at once. I hope that everything gets better soon.
Thank you for some understanding. I started off today with blood tests to see if my cancer has spread, then I find out my holiday is fudged then my car gets wrecked. Just one of those days!!!!

Upvote 0

ArielLover

I remember reading your post about the dining plan mess last week I think it was. I can't believe just how much more of a mess this has become for you. I feel so bad for you! This is kind of why we never book through a travel agent and book our own trips through Disney directly. Sadly, I just don't trust anyone else to plan the trip I want, the way I want it, without screwing it up or not giving me information I'd need to add to it (i.e. ADRs, FP+ etc.). I tried to take advantage of an authorized Disney Travel person earlier this year and within 24 hours it blew up in my face, further telling me I was right to want to be in control. NOW that said, I've heard AWESOME things about some of the Disney Travel folks that many people on this site have used and don't want to paint a picture that they don't know what they are doing at all. The majority of those folks are incredible and make your experience so much easier. Just me, as a control freak in every aspect of my life, I prefer to take the reins. :)
I am heading on my 29th trip to Disney in a few weeks and I have never used a travel agent till this time. I am just so busy at work, I was afraid I would miss something. Tammy at Kingdom Konsultants has been awesome. I have been able to keep control of my trip as much as I want and asked her to do whatever I have not had time to do. I got to make all my own Dining reservations, Fastpass+, and order my Magic Bands. Whenever I have needed her, I have had a response within 24 hours , usually within a few hours. I was not sure about using anyone but it still feels like I booked my own, with just some added help as needed.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Ok, So did use a credit card but my dad booked it. Because I don't want him to know of the troubles because he will just play "Stay at mine" card (offsite, bahama bay) and also if he did know how I had been treated then he travel agent will be lucky to walk again, I have kept quiet. I need Abta to instruct me for now.
And tonight, I got side smashed on a roundabout (I appreciate that most US residents have no idea what this is). My car was totalled. I am fully expecting to be burgled tonight just to round things off lol. Yes lol, I have to lol or I will cry :(
We are starting to get them here in the US and they are quite entertaining as no one can seem to grasp the concept. I can't wait to see the wrecks that ensue when we get the fancy 2 lane models.

Onto your problem...Sadly, there is little anyone here can do. When you book with any TA, that agency technically owns the reservation. Any changes or information has to go through the agency. Disney almost can't talk to you.

I can tell you that there is no excuse for the agency you have been dealing with. As a former Disney TA myself, changes are a part of the business. If they can't deal with that, they should not be booking travel for anyone.

If they claim to be "Earmarked" I would fire off an email to Disney as well. Even if they are not, an "I know you can't do anything, but here is what is going on, FYI" email to guest services might not be a bad idea either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sammy Mouse

This is awful.As a UK resident it can be rather frustrating that TAs don't give Disney booking info early enough but never had a problem like yours. I hope you can sort it out.
We had a huge problem one year with Virgin, they had double booked the flight and we had no seats. Glad to say after several days on the phone and a lot of abuse off my Dad they rearranged our flight and upgraded us for free. All happy in the end but those few days in between were complete hell.
We have booked with kenwood travel ever since and now trying travel city direct, all online.
I hope your holiday get sorted and your car too!
Hopefully soon you will be in Disney with all this behind you xx

Upvote 0

BoarderPhreak

Call any and every agency you can - and rain fury upon them. Some TV news stations have a segment that helps viewers (ombudsman). Get the credit card company involved anyway. Do what you have to do to get your money back, or as much as possible. Then continue to spread the word about these crooks. Make their lives as miserable as they have made yours.

That's what I'd do, anyway. :D

Upvote 0

Rob562

We are starting to get them here in the US and they are quite entertaining as no one can seem to grasp the concept. I can't wait to see the wrecks that ensue when we get the fancy 2 lane models.

Or you're like me and you grow up in New England where rotaries are quite common. ;-)

(Though I'll admit that the two-lane rotaries that have started appearing do confuse some people around here)

At least you can rest a little easier knowing that rotaries/roundabouts a) handle more traffic per-hour than a 4-way stop (as proven by Mythbusters), and b) accidents in rotaries/roundabouts generally cause less bodily harm to passengers because the collisions are typically angled, glancing blows rather than a broad-side collision by someone running a red light.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Or you're like me and you grow up in New England where rotaries are quite common. ;-)

(Though I'll admit that the two-lane rotaries that have started appearing do confuse some people around here)

At least you can rest a little easier knowing that rotaries/roundabouts a) handle more traffic per-hour than a 4-way stop (as proven by Mythbusters), and b) accidents in rotaries/roundabouts generally cause less bodily harm to passengers because the collisions are typically angled, glancing blows rather than a broad-side collision by someone running a red light.

-Rob
I do not have an issue with them when they are used in the correct location. My issue is with the people who don't understand how they work. Why the concept of the cars in the rotary have the right of way is so confusing to so many is beyond me. I always seem to encounter a driver who either stops for every car they see or one that thinks that the yield sign is not for them.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom