Incident on Test Track (3/9/18)

THE Monorail Lime

Ask your friend which building... I'd be curious to know as the probability of it flying off the track and causing considerable damage to the extent it would need to be "boarded up" intrigues me. Theres only a few places within close proximity of the Test Track building in an area of the track I could imagine the wheel to have enough force and velocity to reach.
That building you see before entering the building (after the fast part). What is that?

disnyfan89

That building you see before entering the building (after the fast part). What is that?

Depends on which one you are referring to. Bellow in the picture starting in the bottom left of the picture and working Counter clockwise you have the backside of the Odyssey. The part of the building directly facing the ride is the Cast Cafeteria and does feature several glass windows and doors that could need boarding up but I would imagine human injury to have been highly likely if it flew in there. THen you have the backside of Mexico which is mostly a concrete wall. Seems unlikely much damage would be caused to require anything needing to be boarded up. And finally the blue building is a maintenance bay for the attraction and is for the most part a large metal shed with roll up doors that are usually left open during the day. Just past that is a cooler for Stands if I remember correctly. Once again Im not sure what you would need to be boarded up in the maint. building as I would suspect it to just leave a dent if anything.
TEST.PNG

trainplane3

I'm having flashbacks to when one of Top Thrill Dragsters fake back tires flew off, went parallel to the brake run, and into Iron Dragon lagoon. Of course that tire was fake and didn't cause damage to the ride. Just the idea of a tire launching off and going on it's own way is...something else.

Now if this did happen, I'd think the following would be possible. Chances are the tire would continue on in a straight line. I wouldn't think it would hit a building if it was on the initial straight out of the building. And it's still heavily banked back by Odyssey, so I'm not sure if it could get enough speed and launch out of there.
Capture.PNG

disnyfan89

I'm having flashbacks to when one of Top Thrill Dragsters fake back tires flew off, went parallel to the brake run, and into Iron Dragon lagoon. Of course that tire was fake and didn't cause damage to the ride. Just the idea of a tire launching off and going on it's own way is...something else.

Now if this did happen, I'd think the following would be possible. Chances are the tire would continue on in a straight line. I wouldn't think it would hit a building if it was on the initial straight out of the building.
View attachment 269413

Just realized I cropped out the cooler from my photo but you have the line to it. I have to imagine the tire would hit a car before reaching it.

Herah

Now if this did happen, I'd think the following would be possible. Chances are the tire would continue on in a straight line. I wouldn't think it would hit a building if it was on the initial straight out of the building. And it's still heavily banked back by Odyssey, so I'm not sure if it could get enough speed and launch out of there.
View attachment 269413
Shouldn't your lines be tangent to the track, not to the side of the ride building?

ybW

Ask your friend which building... I'd be curious to know as the probability of it flying off the track and causing considerable damage to the extent it would need to be "boarded up" intrigues me. Theres only a few places within close proximity of the Test Track building in an area of the track I could imagine the wheel to have enough force and velocity to reach.

hello. I apologise if my wording was poor.
the tire damaged the blue building that's behind the test track building. It's the one that's close to Mission: Space and the pathway that allows cast to get on stage between MS and TT. I believe it's a maintenance/storage building for the cars. I don't think it is major damage, but the building was dinted from the tire and has been covered with a black fabric. yesterday I was under the impression that it was boarded up, but it appears to have just been covered with black material :)

disnyfan89

hello. I apologise if my wording was poor.
the tire damaged the blue building that's behind the test track building. It's the one that's close to Mission: Space and the pathway that allows cast to get on stage between MS and TT. I believe it's a maintenance/storage building for the cars. I don't think it is major damage, but the building was dinted from the tire and has been covered with a black fabric. yesterday I was under the impression that it was boarded up, but it appears to have just been covered with black material :)
Thanks for the follow up!

t3techcom18

It was the maintenance barn (the bigger building of the two pointed out) and on the first straightaway. A few gauges went out of whack and that's what happened. Keep in mind, this is not the first time this has happened, but it was the first time in terms of severity.

As for the tires, it's used to provide traction and works much like NASCAR tires. The undercarriage piece is what keeps the vehicle attached to the track itself in a slot car fashion (as well as connecting to the bussbar).

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It was the maintenance barn (the bigger building of the two pointed out) and on the first straightaway. A few gauges went out of whack and that's what happened. Keep in mind, this is not the first time this has happened, but it was the first time in terms of severity.

As for the tires, it's used to provide traction and works much like NASCAR tires. The undercarriage piece is what keeps the vehicle attached to the track itself in a slot car fashion (as well as connecting to the bussbar).
So, should we blame this on a buss driver who spent too much time at the bussbar?

Thelazer

Reminds me of the pre-opening rumors of a car flying off the track itself inside the building. A few Epcot CM's confirmed it at the time..

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Reminds me of the pre-opening rumors of a car flying off the track itself inside the building. A few Epcot CM's confirmed it at the time..
Not so much flying off, more a partial bogie disconnect. It started outside the building. And kind of ended inside.

Truth be known most ride systems have had damaging failures over the years.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom