Incident Near DAK on 9/01?

Crockett

Banned
Original Poster
Was anybody down at the World last week on Thur (Sep 01)? We noticed two police cars sitting parallel to one another on the side of the hwy less than 100ft from DAK's parking entrance. Had to be around 5:30ish in the afternoon/evening (?) Both vehicles were facing the hwy (away from DAk parking lot), but no other vehicles were pulled over or around them. Does anyone know if there was some sort of search going on, etc? Both cops were eyeing down every car that drove past. (?) Just curious as to what was going on.

CaptainJackNO

Yeah, I heard a large Carnotaurus attempted to eat 16 time rover passengers in Dino-land USA. All passengers escaped safely.:lookaroun

(Forgive me, couldn't resist.)

Bravo 229

With two cop cars? That's getting desperate. lol

Around here at night time, its not uncommon to see two or three cruisers sitting together on the side of the road. A few weeks ago I saw four police vehicles pulling one car over on I-Drive/Universal Boulevard. Mostly its for safety, but it could also be for a speed trap.

boufa

Stop me if I am wrong, but speeding is illegal and punishable by a fine right? Just checking. Have they been ticketing people who were clearly at or below the speed limit?

Of course just like in Shawskank, were all innocent. (For the record I have sped, I have gotten a ticket... no other fact of the case, the mood of the officer, the financial situation of the city, my location on the planet at the time is relevant. You do the crime, you do the time... of course we all look for reasons that someone else was wrong.)

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
One of their favorite places to sit is right at the entrance to the property. I always see them pulling someone over for stopping at the sign to try and take photos (which is dangerous, given that there is nowhere to safely stop).

rkelly42

I do not understand why people are so excitable over seeing a few police vehicles or other emergency vehicles. I would say 99% of the time from personal experience it is nothing to be curious about other than routine traffic stops or other personal problem that is not that interesting. So many times the public tries to get to involved in these situations and cause more problems than the situation themselves.

Crockett

Banned
Original Poster
Times are tough and there is revenue to be made.
^This is very true, and makes sense as to why they'd be more eager to reel someone in. If a county/state is in the red budget-wise, (as Florida certainly is),...let's just say desperate times call for desperate measures.

thelookingglass

Stop me if I am wrong, but speeding is illegal and punishable by a fine right? Just checking. Have they been ticketing people who were clearly at or below the speed limit?
Of course, they could be out fighting real crimes rather than trapping people in speed zones or ticketing them for minor traffic violations, but, y'know, money.

Yes, I agree that someone going dangerously over the speed limit should be pulled over. But cops who set up these traps will pull over someone for "speeding" even if they are flowing with traffic. Its unfair and they do it because they can get money from you and theres nothing you can do about it.

sweetpee_1993

I used to be a law enforcement dispatcher/comm center supervisor. For dispatch purposes the parish (county) was split up on a map. We had 3 districts. Each district had a common radio "channel", dispatcher, and group of deputies complete with their own ranking officers. Each district was divided into smaller increments called zones. At the start of every shift each district's rank sent us a list of zone assignments so we knew who was working what area. You don't want all the units in the same area. You gotta spread 'em out. Sooooo, if we didn't have anything to dispatch to a unit in his/her assigned area they sorta found a place to sit up where they could get in & out quickly. When you see police units sitting on the side of the road they aren't necessarily shooting radar. They could be sitting & waiting in case they get a call to go to in that area which they are assigned to.

Also, when officers/deputies work accidents or other calls that require them to submit actual reports they don't always have the chance to do that right when they are on that call. Often they wrap up what they are on with detailed notes they took so they can move onto the next call they need to go on. At some point they have to go back into their mobile computers, fill out all the required forms for their reports, type things up as needed, and submit everything. Well, a good time for them to do all that is when they aren't assigned to a call. They often sit where they can get in or out quickly and work on reports. An advantage to sitting next to a second unit assigned to that same area is that other unit knows that you're working on reports so they'll catch any calls so you can finish.

That's just a couple reasons other than shooting radar that units might sit on the side of the road. If you're worried about paying a ticket don't speed. It's an assumed risk. Do I speed? Yep. My window tint on my car is illegal, too. If I get a ticket I'll pay it. I accept the risk.

The argument that traffic units are wasting time when they can be busting "real criminals" is hilarious. First of all, law enforcement agencies have units to cover all their needs. There's narc units for investigating & busting drug trafficking. There's street crimes units who investigate street-level crimes like theft rings, prostitution, etc. Guess what? There are also traffic divisions whose purpose is to handle traffic related incidents including people who break the law speeding. That's their job. Calls don't get neglected and criminals aren't being given free passes so officers can pick on motorists. This I can assure you. ((Sorry, that's one of those phone callers we used to get all too often....along with the "I-pay-taxes-therefore-pay-your-salary-so-you-have-to-do-my-bidding" people. Hello! We pay taxes, too. Guess we pay our own salaries, huh? :hammer:))

boufa

Of course, they could be out fighting real crimes rather than trapping people in speed zones or ticketing them for minor traffic violations, but, y'know, money.

Yes, I agree that someone going dangerously over the speed limit should be pulled over. But cops who set up these traps will pull over someone for "speeding" even if they are flowing with traffic. Its unfair and they do it because they can get money from you and theres nothing you can do about it.

First if you have ever been hurt in an accident caused by someone speeding you would think it is a real crime. Second, you have to respond to other types of crimes. I would live to know if officers refused to respond to a major criminal complaint because they are running traffic. Finally, in our city we get $3 from every traffic ticket. The state, county and court gets the rest. Since we do not take orders from those agency's there is nothing to force us to write tickets. Speeding is illegal. If you are caught you are caught. Does not matter if everyone else was going it. Take responsibilty and accept it.

In the non-disney real world most/many speed traps are set up in locations were people complain about the speeding, or where accident data shows that there is a need. But of course the cops are just out to get you. I propose a new phone number for people who think that the cops have wronged you, or for cop haters... 912. No one will answer.

Having said all of that do you work with anyone who is less than perfect? Well, cops are working a job, and sometimes you do get some that are less perfect than others. It's a fact of life.

boufa

I'm kind of surprised at all the conversation over two police cruisers on the side of the road.

Check out the soda price increase thread. You can tell how important a thread topic is by how long it takes to spin out if control. I have been on other DISney forums that are run so tight that they are no fun at all.

Medic77

So there are complaints when the police AREN'T perceived as doing anything,...and now complaints BECAUSE they are doing something? That seems silly. I'm in emergency services, and I can tell you I have NEVER seen a police officer refuse a "crime in progress" (for lack of a better term) because of a traffic stop...or even if they are running radar. Most of the time, stuck on "traffic patrol" is a major downer for these officers. There could be a handful of reasons that there were two patrol cars in one place. I understand the original poster on this thread,...curiosity and all,...but some of the other responders seem a bit paranoid..... :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom