Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - January 15-18, 2015 (Disneyland)

Ariel484

Original Poster
I have no idea how to post Instagram videos, but runDisney posted one this morning with Chewy running in a runDisney bib. The tweet says, "a distance measured in Parsecs" and they make sure to show a number that is something like 6.832342604e-13 ...and those of us that can convert Parsecs to miles (or can Google it...i.e. me) will see that this converts to 13.1 miles.

http://t.co/2OLx7e64ET

They also posted a link to a Darth video on Facebook with the hashtag #LetTheWookieeWin and responded to a tweet with the following: "We won't keep you waiting this morning!"

Might we get an announcement today?! The internet will explode.

Last edited:

durangojim

I have no idea how to post Instagram videos, but runDisney posted one this morning with Chewy running in a runDisney bib. The tweet says, "a distance measured in Parsecs" and they make sure to show a number that is something like 6.832342604e-13 ...and those of us that can convert Parsecs to miles (or can Google it...i.e. me) will see that this converts to 13.1 miles.

http://t.co/2OLx7e64ET

They also posted a link to a Darth video on Facebook with the hashtag #LetTheWookieWin and responded to a tweet with the following: "We won't keep you waiting this morning!"

Might we get an announcement today?! The internet will explode.
I am sooooo psyched for this! I saw some speculation on the net that this might take place out at DL replacing the Tinkerbell race. Whatever it is I am going to try my hardest to go. Can't wait for the announcement!

fmingo36

Hoping it is in FL (maybe during Star Wars weekends). That would be a cool coast to coast challenge. Star Wars in WDW and Avengers In DL.

Ariel484

Original Poster
Jan 15-18. Must be DL. Can't do it 2015 but 2016 if it's still around!
I bet you're right that it's in Disneyland. I was hoping it would be replacing Expedition Everest weekend in WDW (even though the temperature would be SUPER dicey)...with marathon weekend the weekend before this I almost surely won't be able to do it in 2015.

Mad Stitch

What is the source for those rumored dates? DL would be a disappointment, this would be perfect if they tied it into Star Wars Weekends at the Studios. Besides, DL just received a new race. #LetTheWookieeWin, that's hilarious.

Ariel484

Original Poster
What is the source for those rumored dates? DL would be a disappointment, this would be perfect if they tied it into Star Wars Weekends at the Studios. Besides, DL just received a new race. #LetTheWookieeWin, that's hilarious.
runDisney's Twitter account:
Untitled.jpg

https://twitter.com/runDisney/status/471282564884209666

FerretAfros

Given the dates, I suspect we'll see a 5K, 10K, and Half (+1 expo-only day Thursday). There's been rumor of a challenge, but I have don't have a ton of faith in that at this point. I would be surprised if there's not at least one Death Star-shaped medal

The Darth Vader video that they posted on FB was filmed at DL's Tomorrowland Terrace (where they do the Jedi Training Academy), which seems to further support the notion that this race will be at DLR

That said, I'm disappointed but not surprised by that decision. DLR races need more capacity, but can't be any larger due to course constraints (they're 2/3 the size of WDW's races, with a rabid local fanbase who will jump on anything 'special'), so they need additional race weekends. Star Wars seems like a much better fit for WDW, especially if they could combine it with Star Wars Weekends (though the weather might not be great). As much as I try to like them, the DLR races don't seem as well organized as the WDW ones, and the "scenic" streets of Anaheim are anything but

durangojim

Given the dates, I suspect we'll see a 5K, 10K, and Half (+1 expo-only day Thursday). There's been rumor of a challenge, but I have don't have a ton of faith in that at this point. I would be surprised if there's not at least one Death Star-shaped medal

The Darth Vader video that they posted on FB was filmed at DL's Tomorrowland Terrace (where they do the Jedi Training Academy), which seems to further support the notion that this race will be at DLR

That said, I'm disappointed but not surprised by that decision. DLR races need more capacity, but can't be any larger due to course constraints (they're 2/3 the size of WDW's races, with a rabid local fanbase who will jump on anything 'special'), so they need additional race weekends. Star Wars seems like a much better fit for WDW, especially if they could combine it with Star Wars Weekends (though the weather might not be great). As much as I try to like them, the DLR races don't seem as well organized as the WDW ones, and the "scenic" streets of Anaheim are anything but
Perhaps this will be tied in to an announcement of a retheming of Tomorrowland at DL into a more Star Wars themed land as was speculated last year. Details were available on Miceage

Ariel484

Original Poster
So I feel like registration is going to have to be sometime over the next couple of weeks...Princess Half registration begins July 15. I'm guessing this will sell out faster than Avengers did.

FerretAfros

So I feel like registration is going to have to be sometime over the next couple of weeks...Princess Half registration begins July 15. I'm guessing this will sell out faster than Avengers did.
Last year's Tink general registration opened July 9. Given that it's the same weekend, I would expect a similar registration timeline. Then again, with the speed at which these fill up, they can pretty much do it whenever they want and it will be full long before the event

a2grafix

And the pricing is still going up ... $195 to start for the Star Wars Half. Gulp.

Entry Fees and Deadlines*

Star Wars Half Marathon

• $195 by July 22, 2014
  • $210 between July 23 and August 19, 2014
  • $225 on or after August 20, 2014
Star Wars Rebel Challenge

• $320 by July 22, 2014
  • $345 between July 23 and August 19, 2014
  • $370 on or after August 20, 2014
Star Wars 10K

• $105 by July 22, 2014
  • $120 between July 23 and August 19, 2014
  • $135 on or after August 20, 2014
Star Wars 5K

• $70 by August 23, 2014
  • $80 on or after August 24, 2014
runDisney Kids Races

• $20 by August 23, 2014
  • $25 on or after August 24, 2014
Star Wars Wookiee Welcome Party

• $99
  • Under 3 - $0
ChEAR Squad

• Bronze - $0
  • Silver - $45
  • Gold - $69
  • Platinum - $99
  • Under 3 - $0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom