Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - January 15-18, 2015 (Disneyland)

FerretAfros

Hmm...good catch. Sounds like the 10K and 5K go through both parks.
The 10K course description is the same as the Tink 13.1 description. There's no way to fit all those things into 6.2. As usual, it seems like runDisney's website isn't quite ready for prime time. Hopefully they figure it out and get it fixed (and find a way for the half marathon course to run through both parks)

And wasn't this year's DL1/2 and Avengers registration $195? I don't think that this is a jump from what we've seen before. The DLR races are always more expensive (and IMO deliver less quality), which is part of the reason I'm becoming increasingly skeptical of them. If I didn't have so many friends in the soCal area, I would have stopped doing them a long time ago!

EDIT: It's odd that the Half course would only go through one park, but it's even stranger that it would go through the park *without* any of the Star Wars stuff in it. Whose idea was that?

Ariel484

Original Poster
Per runDisney Twitter, AP and DVC early registration is June 4 at noon EST. I logged into the WDW AP section and didn't see Star Wars listed there, but WDW AP holders did get early access for Avengers so I imagine we would for Star Wars as well.

LindsayLoves

Hate to say I would have probably done this race if I had to choose between marathon weekend and Star Wars weekend. Oh well maybe next year...

Complaints I have seen so far on the runDisney facebook page:
1. Why does DL get another race weekend since they just got Avengers?
2. The timing and location, shouldn't it be in WDW for Star Wars weekend?
3. Its too close after marathon weekend and the cruise to do all three (seriously people?)
5. The two races added to DL are 'male themed' races
6. Complaints about how its replacing Tink weekend and how its so terrible that they moved that race to mother's day weekend.

Also the speculation for the NEXT race is now looking like:
1. Paris
2. Pixar themed race weekend
3. A WDW Star Wars race in May for a special C2C medal (I think that's more of a wish list item)

Ariel484

Original Poster
Hate to say I would have probably done this race if I had to choose between marathon weekend and Star Wars weekend. Oh well maybe next year...

Complaints I have seen so far on the runDisney facebook page:
1. Why does DL get another race weekend since they just got Avengers?
2. The timing and location, shouldn't it be in WDW for Star Wars weekend?
3. Its too close after marathon weekend and the cruise to do all three (seriously people?)
5. The two races added to DL are 'male themed' races
6. Complaints about how its replacing Tink weekend and how its so terrible that they moved that race to mother's day weekend.

In response to the ones I bolded above...OMG. :jawdrop: People need to get a grip...and some perspective!!
Also the speculation for the NEXT race is now looking like:
1. Paris
2. Pixar themed race weekend
3. A WDW Star Wars race in May for a special C2C medal (I think that's more of a wish list item)
Pixar race would be freaking awesome. I'd be all over that!

LindsayLoves

Pixar race would be freaking awesome. I'd be all over that!

You and me both...

Is there a saturation point for runDisney? The left coast is almost caught up to WDW in the number of race weekends. How many more can they add? When do we think people are going to say no more? Is it going to be too many races, too much $ for the races, or will running just loose its popularity?
Price wise I am pretty much at the end of my rope, as much as I would love to do Star Wars, Food and Wine, and a Pixar race I can not imagine breaking $200 for a half marathon.

diddy_mouse

It will be interesting to see how fast this one sells out. And how quick they added another race to the west coast. It's almost like they said: "Well, the Avengers one sold like hotcakes, let's give 'em Star Wars too!" #synergy

Mad Stitch

Another west coast race!? The way I view it is if you wanted to complete the C2C challenge, you have 4 weekends to choose from in DLR but only 3 weekends at WDW. I guess this can be justified because the 3 WDW races have a higher capacity, so right now I'd say the two coasts are about even. Going forward though WDW has the better infrastructure to host these events.

Mad Stitch

I did some math because I didn't want to go to bed. :p

East Coast
WDW Full 26.2
WDW Half 13.1
WDW 10k 6.2
WDW 5k 3.1
Princess Half 13.1
Princess 10k 6.2
Princess 5k 3.1
EEC 3.1
TT 10
TT 5k 3.1
W&D Half 13.1
W&D 5k 3.1
Total 103.4

West Coast
SW Half 13.1
SW 10k 6.2
SW 5k 3.1
Tink Half 13.1
Tink 10k 6.2
Tink 5k 3.1
DLR Half 13.1
DLR 10k 6.2
DLR 5k 3.1
Avengers Half 13.1
Advengers 5k 3.1
Total 83.4

Excluding the kids/family races WDW is only ahead by 20 miles.

Last edited:

lukacseven

Let's see...how do we prevent the WDW Marathon events from selling out so quickly next year??? I know...take the most popular movie franchise ever (which we coincidentally recently bought) and have a race weekend the following week on the other side of the country! Plus all of the people who didn't get into the races in FL this year can just as easily fly to CA.

dreamfinder

More oy. Not at all surprising, it does balance out the schedule. But DLR just doesn't have the infrastructure needed to keep holding big races. Yeah, the theme is awesome, but the scenery is nothing special.

SpectroPhoenix

I'm know this would never happen, but since they keep adding more races, it would be great if they eased off on raising the prices every year. But that's not how capitalism works, I know :(

Ariel484

Original Poster
Is any one surprised at how quickly this race went from "teaser" to fact?
Yeah, kinda. But did they tease Avengers at all, or just announce it? I forget.

ETA: Just remembered they had that #SmashTheHalf hashtag, so they did tease it. I forget for how long though?
Let's see...how do we prevent the WDW Marathon events from selling out so quickly next year??? I know...take the most popular movie franchise ever (which we coincidentally recently bought) and have a race weekend the following week on the other side of the country! Plus all of the people who didn't get into the races in FL this year can just as easily fly to CA.
I'm not sure this is even going to make a dent. I'm sure you're right that they wanted to spread things out a bit more, but I'm seeing talk of people doing WDW Marathon Weekend, CC5K Challenge AND Star Wars. :arghh: Like...what?
I'm know this would never happen, but since they keep adding more races, it would be great if they eased off on raising the prices every year. But that's not how capitalism works, I know :(
It's been said in this thread and around the forum...I'm wondering where the breaking point is. I'd think they'll get over-saturated with the races at some point, but clearly people are still willing to pay.

Ariel484

Original Poster
It will be interesting to see how fast this one sells out. And how quick they added another race to the west coast. It's almost like they said: "Well, the Avengers one sold like hotcakes, let's give 'em Star Wars too!" #synergy
I'm guessing this will be the quickest sell-out! :eek:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing this theory on Facebook and other places...Rebel Challenge in Disneyland. Possibility of Empire Challenge in WDW? If Star Wars in Disneyland is a huge hit (which it totally will be) I could see them doing it with a special Star Wars C2C medal, similar to the pink C2C medal they have now for Tink/Princess...

Last edited:

Kermit262

I think the timing of the announcement was marketing brilliance. People are already hyped-up during Star Wars Weekends, and this just adds to the excitement. I also think it will sell-out quickly. If I wasn't doing the Dopey I'd strongly consider it. As it is, I'm going to have to settle for a Darth Vader Cupcake at the Starring Rolls Cafe next week. Not a bad consolation prize. ;)
DV.png

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom