Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon Weekend - January 15-18, 2015 (Disneyland)

Sumrdog

I have been stalking the page as well today ...I wanted a friend to do this with me and I instructed her that she needed to be on her computer right at 10am when it opened here in the mountain time zone. She didn't really grasp my intensity, even though I said very clearly; " you have to sign up in the first 20-30 minutes or you won't get in." I forget that some people are not as OCD about these things as I am.

So it's another solo Run Disney event for me and honestly I really enjoy having a few days away by myself. I am really looking forward to this since we are such Star Wars geeks!

Ariel484

Original Poster
I have been stalking the page as well today ...I wanted a friend to do this with me and I instructed her that she needed to be on her computer right at 10am when it opened here in the mountain time zone. She didn't really grasp my intensity, even though I said very clearly; " you have to sign up in the first 20-30 minutes or you won't get in." I forget that some people are not as OCD about these things as I am.

So it's another solo Run Disney event for me and honestly I really enjoy having a few days away by myself. I am really looking forward to this since we are such Star Wars geeks!
Hey, you did what you could. Glad you got in, can't wait to hear about it! :)

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Wow that didn't take long. What was it? less than 3 hours?

Gartdog

I got signed up. This is my first Disney race. Does anyone know what they do along the route outside of the resort? I assume the usual food/water/restroom stops, but is there music playing along the route?

LindsayLoves

I got signed up. This is my first Disney race. Does anyone know what they do along the route outside of the resort? I assume the usual food/water/restroom stops, but is there music playing along the route?

Congratulations on taking the plunge on your first runDisney event, they are pretty addicting so feel free to join us here which is somewhat of a support group for rD addicts.

There will be entertainment and character stops along the route. Entertainment can be DJs, bands, cheerleaders, etc. I assume the character stops will be Star Wars characters or Disney character in Star Wars garb. There are a ton of race reports on the internet - I recommend you check out @Ariel48 's reports, the links are in her post right above yours.

dreamfinder

Outside of the parks is primarily non Disney entertainment. Local school bands, cheerleaders, other local dance groups/troupes, classic cars, etc.

Mad Stitch

Just to expand a bit on what the others have said, with this being a Disneyland race the characters will only be found on the portions of the course within a Disney park. Once you are out on the streets of Anaheim, it's as dreamfinder described.

Texas84

Rebel Challenge about 30 minutes

For the half? Highlight for me (outside of the parks) was running through Anaheim Stadium. I was a big Angels fan when I was a kid. I'm guessing they will use the same half route since it's already certified.

Mad Stitch

For the half? Highlight for me (outside of the parks) was running through Anaheim Stadium. I was a big Angels fan when I was a kid. I'm guessing they will use the same half route since it's already certified.

Not necessarily. The Tink Half Marathon does not go through Anaheim Stadium. It has a different course that runs towards downtown Anaheim. We will see the course for the Avengers before we see Star Wars. I'm interested to see if they try to make all the courses unique.

Texas84

Not necessarily. The Tink Half Marathon does not go through Anaheim Stadium. It has a different course that runs towards downtown Anaheim. We will see the course for the Avengers before we see Star Wars. I'm interested to see if they try to make all the courses unique.

Interesting. I did not know that. I'll have to look for those other courses. But, there's really a downtown Anaheim? :D

skimbob

The Avengers race said through the City of Anaheim, so I would guess Star Wars would us the DL 1/2 marathon course. They currently only have the two courses. Maybe they will come up with a new course. I will definately find out since I am doing the Rebel Challenge.

Ariel484

Original Poster
I'd be surprised of they added more courses. WDW has the WDW Half and Princess Half on the same course...certification costs money right?

FerretAfros

I'd be surprised of they added more courses. WDW has the WDW Half and Princess Half on the same course...certification costs money right?
Course certification does have some costs associated with it, but I expect that at least one of the new half marathons will use a new course. Tink and DL1/2 have both revised their courses annually for at least 5 years to accommodate construction (both inside and outside the parks), so I don't see why they would rule out designing a new course. DLR seems much more open to changing their courses than WDW (which I really wish would revert to the old marathon course)

I also have a friend who is close with the DLR rD crew, and he told me that 2 new race weekends were coming when I saw him for Marathon Weekend. At that time he indicated that there would be new courses, but of course that was secondhand info and easily could have changed since that time

Ariel484

Original Poster
DLR seems much more open to changing their courses than WDW (which I really wish would revert to the old marathon course)
Ugh, me too. :(

I guess I assumed since WDW only has two courses DLR would too. It would be nice to have different courses for the WDW and Princess Half marathons.

dreamfinder

Yeah it does, but I don't think it's that much, especially in the scheme of things. With DLR races having to go through so much non Disney property, I can see them having to do new courses regularly anyway as @FerretAfros mentioned to deal with construction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom