In What Way Has Disney World Surprised You Most?

Walt Disney1955

Well, where to start?

I think the fact that the older you get the more you appreciate it compared to other parks. The general public that has never been there often thinks the opposite of course (we know better :animwink:). You can go to great parks like Universal or thrill parks like Six Flags but you never get the same feeling and it's just so hard to explain why. Kind of like as to why you love your spouse, you just do!

I'm amazed at how it bridges the gap between generations. I never met my grandpa (he died when I was 2) but no matter how many times I go to WDW I always know that he and my grandmother went to WDW with my dad when he was in his 20s in 1973 and loved it despite being in their 60s. I can go to CBJ, Small World, Jungle Cruise, Pirates etc. and I always know they went on the same ride and often wonder what they thought about it. To me, that is special.

Also I think the test of time has surprised me about Disney. DL opened in 1955 and it could have been just a fad. WDW opens in 1971 and look at it today. In our ADD society with new fads and the internet bombarded at us constantly you'd think WDW would have been passed by and the novelty has worn out but it still is the one park in the world that no park has ever been able to duplicate

Mikester71

What surprises me is about that same as what Mikester71 stated. When we 1st visited in 2005, I thought it was a once in a life time event. When returned home from that trip we were so over whelmed with the experiance that we started to plan go back, which brought us to be DVC members.

Also what surprises me is that being in my mid 40's that in a setting like that I enjoy and feel safe to act like a child and not worry about what others think, also that as adults we enjoy it more that our kids do.

I hear you on that one too! I think we as adults enjoy it more because we can appreciate how Disney goes that extra mile to give us more for our hard earned dollar. And like you said, it brings out the kid in all of us, no matter what age we are!!! :sohappy:

LucyintheSky

It surprises me that Disney continues to promote/push EE, but they never repair the Yeti.

You know, I was trying to skip over the negative comments and just read the positive ones, but I have to agree with this one. I just heard a commercial on the radio the other day where they were not only promoting EE, but they made a specific reference to the yeti attack. I was like, SERIOUSLY??? :mad:

but on a positive note:

Well, where to start?

I think the fact that the older you get the more you appreciate it compared to other parks. The general public that has never been there often thinks the opposite of course (we know better :animwink:). You can go to great parks like Universal or thrill parks like Six Flags but you never get the same feeling and it's just so hard to explain why. Kind of like as to why you love your spouse, you just do!

that's how I feel, too. Last year I didn't really get to go to any parks until the fall. Then I was able to go to the MK free on my birthday, and shortly after that I went to Universal one day, since I'd gotten a free ticket in the mail.

The difference in "feeling" was amazing. I do love Universal, don't get me wrong, I think US and IoA are both outstanding parks with great attractions, I just didn't get the same feeling. And it IS so hard to explain! :lol:

jim1051

As I went more and took a behind the scenes tour, I was surprised at the depth of the theming. Particularly apparent at Expedition everest with the surrounding area being mad to look so authentic.

Book Belle

I'm definatly always amazed at how everyone at the parks picks up trash. I've seen tour guides, upper management Imagineers, and even other guests stop to pick up random pieces of trash!!

Batphobic

Two things:

1) It is utterly mind-boggling to me to think that the shows, parades, fireworks, etc. are presented every single day of every single year, nonstop. I think about this every time I watch Wishes or Illuminations or Spectro, etc. And I think about it in the evenings sometimes when I'm going about my daily life at home...."hmmm, they're probably just starting Wishes now," etc.

2) The pristine state of the parks on a daily basis is astounding. (And I know many on this forum will nay-say and claim the parks are atrocious because a light blub here or there was blown out, but I wholeheartedly and respectfully disagree.)

When I'm there, I know in a vague way that there are people picking up trash or changing out a trashbag as I walk around the parks, but they just kind of blend in. You would think that with all those guests the parks would be filthy by the end of the day (ie, ever been to a concert or major football game? It's a disaster area by the end of the day.) But somehow, the constant cleaning gets done in an understated way. Even on NYE the bathrooms were pretty darn clean at the end of the night.

When I saw the thread this was the first thing that I thought of. On our first trip there I was amazed to see a janitorial CM looking UNDER shrubbery to find trash to pick up. The place is that pristine. Related to this - every time I've got my kids on a carousel at, say, the mall or something, there's always blemishes in the paint job, or scuff marks, etc... signs of wear. Not so (or not nearly so) at Disney.

Lbg206

For me what amazes me is simply put....the magic!

When I went last year for my honeymoon I was amazed how many "extras" my husband and I recieved. Yes, sometimes we were wearing our buttons and/or bride/groom ears, but not always and we still got little perks every day of our trip. I know for us it's just something small, but think about how many birthdays, weddings, honeymoons, anniversaries, etc. are each and every day and they go out of their way to make each individual feel special.

Secondly as others have said just the overall friendliness and happiness of the parks/resorts. I know not everyone has had the perfect experience, but for me in all my four trips I've never had anything expect amazing service. Everyone is always smiling, always helpful, the parks are always clean and fresh looking, it's such a wonderful world away from the rest of reality.

Lastly, and I realize this isn't about Disney itself, but I'm amazed by the people out there who are not Disney fanatics or not even fans. I sometimes see websites out there about "I hate Disney" and about what horrible vacations they've had or that they'd never go and it makes me feel incredibly sad for these people that they can't just let themselves act like a kid again and have fun. For me I get butterflies in my stomach everytime I'm planning a trip and getting to go or when I first walk through the gates down Main Street, but there are actually people who don't feel this way. When I plan a new trip I actually have friends who ask "why" and can't understand why I'd want to go there yet again. I just don't get it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom