In Defense of the Animal Kingdom...

NJDVCMembers

Original Poster
We know that there are a lot of people who are unhappy with Disney’s Animal Kingdom, and we do believe “to each their own.” But we have to come to the defense of this much maligned corner of the world. We believe that there are a lot of people who don’t get it! The Animal Kingdom doesn’t have to be a half-day park and truth-be-told, it isn’t.
We recently stopped in the oasis to take in a few animals and to catch a few with our camcorder. When we returned home we were amazed by what we saw. As the video ran we counted at least 38 people running right past the animal displays. 38 out of 41 to be exact, in about a 4 minute time frame. You could even hear a few folks saying things like “I’ve seen them on tv” or “we’ve got zoos at home.” Sure they were there for the big rides and attractions, but they seemed to forget the purpose of the park. To let you interact and appreciate the other inhabitants of this planet... the animals. So if your one of those folks who only come through for the main attractions, fine... enjoy! But please don’t knock it until you really experience it. If you have experienced it and still don't appreciate it, that's your right too.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Please use the default font. It makes things easier to read.

On topic: Let people do what they want to do. Yes, some people can spend an entire day at Animal Kingdom. Some people can't. Some people can spend a whole day riding RnRC and ToT. Some people can't even ride them once. AK is a good park. I enjoy the animal walkthroughs, Kilimanjaro Safaris, Kali River Rapids, etc. However, Dinosaur is awful. The park isn't perfect, it isn't near perfect. If Disney felt it was finished, they wouldn't have a huge mountain going in right now.

marcikay

I will jump on board with you to agree. I always feel sad when people get on & talk bad about AK. My children are animal fanatics & would be happy to take all day looking at the animals (though we love the attractions, too). We don't see AK as a zoo, we see it as a super-dream-zoo! In fact, zoos seem pretty boring, now that we've been spoiled by our ultimate animal habitat!

pisco

My wife and I have always treated AK as a half-day park but only because we are too restless to spend a full day at any park. Plus we will typically go to AK at least 3 times during a week long visit so we have plenty of time to experience it all.

I agree that most people really need to slow down and take time to notice all the little details that make that park so great.

Thawn, why do you think Dinosaur is awful? Personally it is one of my favorites attractions at all of WDW. Not challenging your opinion, just curious as to what you think could be better about it.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
pisco said:
Thawn, why do you think Dinosaur is awful? Personally it is one of my favorites attractions at all of WDW. Not challenging your opinion, just curious as to what you think could be better about it.

Lets see ... everything. Story doesn't make sense, (you have a time machine, why go to the most dangerous point); all the ride does, basically, is shake; the dinosaurs aren't very convincing, especially the carnotaurus.

If you have been on IJA at DLR, you would know what that track setup and ride system look like when its done well. The two rides just don't compare, even though its the same ride system and same track layout.

barnum42

Those who know me on here are aware that I love Animal Kingdom. Probably spent more time there than the other parks on the last few trips. Different strokes for different folks. :wave:

Rinxman

A lot of people aren't really interested in animals so they only go to AK for the thrills. But in defense of the AK and to those who think it's a zoo, have you ever seen a zoo that provides such natural habitats for its animals? Only the actual savanna can match it. Nothing else in the world can compare to the care and realism Disney put into the park. NAHTAZU!!!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Animal Kingdom has the best show at WDW, Festival of the Lion King. It has some of the best atmosphere at WDW. Its definately a full day for me, if I wanted to make it a full day. I would have to agree with Thrawn...Dinasour is a little much.....

spaceship_earth

Personally, I've never spent a full day in the AK, but I do feel that it is Disney best themed park. While its rides aren't nesscessarily anything great (save a few), from the moment you walk through the gates, you know your in Disney World. All always kick off my trips to Disney World at the Animal Kingdom.

GenieGirl

AK also has the highest rated parade on property--Mickeys Jammin Jungle. People like it because it is so personal and close and the performers interact with the guests.

tracyandalex

Being animal lovers, we of course love AK. one of my favorite things to do start my trip with a relaxing stroll through the park just watching the animals & of course alex likes the rides. having been to the park with others though i can kinda understand why some people might find it boring. we don't care what those people think, we love AK :sohappy:

Rotel1026

GenieGirl said:
AK also has the highest rated parade on property--Mickeys Jammin Jungle. People like it because it is so personal and close and the performers interact with the guests.

I've never done that parade. I keep meaning to but just never get around to it, the last time I was there, it was just about to start as we were leaving and I just didn't have the energy to fight the crowd that would inevitably head to the exits after the parade. I do hope they still have the Extra Magic Hours in the evenings when I go back. Definitely would make it a point to check out AK after dark.

pisco

Thrawn said:
Lets see ... everything. Story doesn't make sense, (you have a time machine, why go to the most dangerous point); all the ride does, basically, is shake; the dinosaurs aren't very convincing, especially the carnotaurus.

If you have been on IJA at DLR, you would know what that track setup and ride system look like when its done well. The two rides just don't compare, even though its the same ride system and same track layout.

I'm sure once I have the chance to ride IJA I won't enjoy Dinosuar as much as I do now.

DisneyFreak529

I agree with you, I love Animal Kingdom. People who are short on time cut Animal Kingdom first, I don't know why! I think it's great to see the Animals.

I love animal kingdom, I'm a big animal lover!!

next time please use a smaller font, I found it hard to read as well.

CaptainMichael

I like the Animal Kingdom, but it is nowhere near perfect. I go there and enjoy the scenery, but I'm not spending $60 to see pretty plants. Animal Kingdom has a great foundation to build on, but has a long way to go. Expedition: Everest is a step in the right direction.

As for it not being a full day park, I don't think I've spent an entire day in one park. I've always been a hopper. We usually go to three a day.

dave2822

In our world of immediate gratification and our "now now!" mentaility, I think we forget sometimes that AK is only 7 years young. Think back to where MK, EPCOT, and MGM were at this point in their respective lifespans (well, a little less so for MK), and you will find that we just need to give Animal Kingdom time.

I find it funny how casual people are about EE. We take it for granted as a "nice addition," or a "step in the right direction but AK still needs more." Frankly, I believe this will be one of Disney's best ever and am thrilled about it's arrival. Animal Kingdom isn't perfect true, it has it's limitations, I still visit it the least out of the four, but give it a chance. People have been trying to close this park before it opened.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom