News Improvements coming to the entrances of all four Walt Disney World theme parks

WDWFanDave

There was a statement they would be "displayed" for x amount of years.
I remember being told they'd eventually be moved to a more permanent place on the property. Honestly, if they're going to tear them down, I'd as soon be able to get the tiles back (my wife and I on one, and my parents on the other - who are now both deceased). Has always been a nice remembrance of one of a special time. But, even if we cannot get them (and I'd surmise that we will not be able to) - it's time for something new. Whether they move them to a 'garden' where we can see them, or they jackhammer them and drop 'em in a dumpster...it's time.

Rodan75

There is one thing more annoying. It's walking to the TTC from the Poly (cause you're closer to that than the GCH) to avoid transferring, being herded into the general TTC screening lines, then having to go through EPCOT security again on arrival!!! ARRGH!

Can they please place a security check on the path from the poly to the TTC at least?!?!

I am very annoyed by this too at Poly...but it is such a small issue and I can’t see a great way for them to solve this problem effectively.

JJJ

There was a statement they would be "displayed" for x amount of years.

According to this yesterworld article, they are to be displayed for at least 20 years, with the 20th year being 2027. The images can be relocated at any time though.

This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I actually really like the monuments; they seem to frame Spaceship Earth really well. See this picture for example:
800px-1_epcot_spaceship_earth_2010a.jpg

Goofyernmost

According to this yesterworld article, they are to be displayed for at least 20 years, with the 20th year being 2027. The images can be relocated at any time though.

This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I actually really like the monuments; they seem to frame Spaceship Earth really well. See this picture for example:
View attachment 305546
I'm not sure about this, but, it seems to me that I remember reading that they stopped selling those quite a few years ago. The original intent by Disney was to fill all those monoliths with those tiny little hardly recognizable picture. That failed dramatically so they just stopped pushing the promotion. That means that many have already passed the 20 year commitment and others are fairly close. It seem that I also remember it being said that they don't necessarily have to be displayed in the same place. They can easily consolidate the remaining ones over to one side of the entrance, think the Vietnam Veterans Wall in Washington, thus clearing out the entrance for something else.

What was wrong with this?

images

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

They started selling them in 1999.
By the time they actually do anything in there, the 20 years will be gone for the initial group. They can still be moved and technically stay in the agreement. Sorry, for the error... it sure as hell seems like a lot longer then that since we have entered through the graveyard. I don't think that Disney is worried about any major lawsuits coming their way over it. If I were to take them to court it would have been for the crappy quality of the etchings used.

Biff215

I am very annoyed by this too at Poly...but it is such a small issue and I can’t see a great way for them to solve this problem effectively.
As @Viget stated above, fixing this would be as simple as adding a single security guard to end of the path, similar to what the Contemporary has. DVC in particular should have fought for this, given their three longhouses are much closer to the TTC.

View attachment 305546
I agree, they don’t bother me either, and not just because I have a couple of tiles on them. I also wouldn’t be devastated if they moved or got rid of them, but I think there are areas of Epcot that need more attention than just the entrance plaza.

I can’t believe the program extended all the way to 2007. But that would make the 2027 date correct. Really can’t see Disney going to the trouble of relocating them, so they might be safe until then. I’m sure TDO will use that as an excuse if they don’t want to spend the money.

BigThunderMatt

Parking Entrance from 1972
1972%20WDW%201.jpg

Look! Even in 1972 people didn't know how to drive! That blue car is legit driving straight across the lanes! Honestly, having actually worked in this location it just ASTOUNDS me how people who were intending to go somewhere other than Magic Kingdom (be it an MK resort or some other location on property and they just took a wrong turn) would pull some of the stupidest moves rather than go through that toll plaza, like they were horrified we would charge them $20 just by rolling down their window. They'd go into this blind panic and try to u turn and go the opposite way down a 1 way street, drive through the grass, drive through red light lanes. It really lent some truth to the theory that people just left their brains at home when they came to WDW.

matt9112

so can i ask a silly question related to entry...BESIDES cost is there any reason scanner machines are not used like at universal? those seem much more pleasant to go through.

JoeCamel

so can i ask a silly question related to entry...BESIDES cost is there any reason scanner machines are not used like at universal? those seem much more pleasant to go through.
Even then they could get a deal on them. Airports are dumping theirs for CT scanners so they could buy the surplus.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
So, let's say they take a wrecking ball to these tombstones in 2021.

That means everyone who purchased a legacy when it first stared in 1999 and 2000 and can have their etching put aside to be picked up, or, simply tossed.

All the other legacies purchased from 2001 to 2027 would have to find a new place for public display.

If WDW was smart, the temporary display would be organized by years so that as each year goes by, they can remove a panel.

OR... they just put all the legacies somewhere regardless of chronological order and in 2027, it all comes down at once.

JJJ

Yes, but from one vantage point only. A good architectural framing in a public space should work from many different angles, and this doesn't.
Here's another angle ;)
08ZRj0B_9_wUx57hvwISF_VvNMUyj5Ay9iZN7NrMkzI.jpg

But I get what you mean. It's hard to clearly see the effect. I haven't seen the entrance without the monuments in person, so it could just be I don't know what I'm missing out on.
I don't think it'd be wise to take away the photos in stages. It would probably anger/sadden the people who bought their etchings in 1999 if they were taken down before the people who bought them later. If they really want to get rid of them before 2027, I'd guess they'd move all of them to a place out of the way like the odyssey (if it was ever brought back to guest use), somewhere in Disney Springs, or a resort and take them down together in 2027.

BigThunderMatt

They have a few of them but I think they tend to carry a negative connotation. It's a hard thing to put my finger on but in a post-9/11 world people look at the inconvenience and complexity of airport security as a necessary evil even though it has kind of an ominous feeling about it given what lax airport security resulted in. I think people don't really want to be reminded about all that as they're entering a theme park and maybe that's why they haven't invested in having these at every security station.

raymusiccity

Look! Even in 1972 people didn't know how to drive! That blue car is legit driving straight across the lanes! Honestly, having actually worked in this location it just ASTOUNDS me how people who were intending to go somewhere other than Magic Kingdom (be it an MK resort or some other location on property and they just took a wrong turn) would pull some of the stupidest moves rather than go through that toll plaza, like they were horrified we would charge them $20 just by rolling down their window. They'd go into this blind panic and try to u turn and go the opposite way down a 1 way street, drive through the grass, drive through red light lanes. It really lent some truth to the theory that people just left their brains at home when they came to WDW.

Just be on the lookout for N.Y. Drivers ! :oops:
IMG_2339.JPG

Kman101

I remember being told they'd eventually be moved to a more permanent place on the property. Honestly, if they're going to tear them down, I'd as soon be able to get the tiles back (my wife and I on one, and my parents on the other - who are now both deceased). Has always been a nice remembrance of one of a special time. But, even if we cannot get them (and I'd surmise that we will not be able to) - it's time for something new. Whether they move them to a 'garden' where we can see them, or they jackhammer them and drop 'em in a dumpster...it's time.

They never should have been placed at the entrance. It should have been an off to side garden type area. I get why they did it but they take up SO much walking space, it seems unbelievable how it was even greenlit for that area.

I like the idea. I just hate the placement. I wish you guys could get your tiles back or they move them and don't demolish them.

Mat Cauthon

I have never been stopped when bringing an open beverage into a WDW Park.

Open beverages are not listed as a prohibited item for WDW.
Not doubting you but the guards at Epcot's International Gateway entrance did not know that 2 years ago. We were told to either dump them or drink them before entering when we were staying at Beach Club that trip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom