Kong
Fallon
Minion
Spider Man
Transformers
Simpsons
HP EfG
HP FJ

(Plus Shrek is a 4D screen show, which doesn't count but gives my DH more vertigo sometimes.)

Some of those are great rides, and some are amazing technology. But they all could potentially ruin my day, and that lowers the value of the parks to me. I risk it for the HP rides. The others? Probably not. Disney has it's fair share of screen-based rides/attractions existing or forthcoming, but the wide variety of non-screen rides with excellent themeing is a bigger draw than Universal, for me, especially since there are 4 parks rather than just the two.
I agree that their all great rides. I don't think those rides ruin most peoples day. Maybe try dramine or bonine before you go. I also agree WDW is a better overall vacation. Disney has some great rides, but geez do they have some really really bad ones.
What I enjoy most about Universal is I can stay at a Deluxe resort for a reasonable price. I have express passes to every ride and no planning. I also enjoy not having to make dining reservations.

Much-Pixie-Dust

I went to universal for harry potter...i go back because it's the only theme park that seems to realize that not everyone has/likes kids. there's areas there for kids and it is still a theme park but you're not trapped in sidewalk traffic hell with more wheels than feet on the ground. (the park does not appeal to little kids, those with limited mobility, or those who like to cart in a weeks worth of supplies for 8 hours in a theme park) and...not only do the team members seem to be overall more content than cast members, they actually enforce rules. Line cutters actually get sent out, smokers are returned to their smoking sections, and no amount of wailing is going to get you a free express pass. It's glorious.
Uni, at least in my experience enforces no photography, flash or no flash, on rides. Which I love, in addition to all that you mentioned too. It seems like Uni gives its frontline cm’s more control on enforcing rules than Disney does. I just wish they would let me walk from Margaritaville to my hotel, with my beverage. At least they have benches for me to finish it off before heading down the path back to Royal Pacific. Those pesky open container laws. 😉

OneofThree

Deluxe resort for a reasonable price
express passes to every ride and no planning
not having to make dining reservations.

Absolutely. We did several days there recently and enjoyed immensely. I'll be returning to the World soon, and for the last time for some time. I won't be renewing our AP's until something changes with the overall Disney experience, *if* it changes at all. Doesn't mean I won't go at all, but it won't top the list.

SirWillow

New rides and lands will be great for people who are already going to the parks or like the parks. But PLENTY of people go to Universal solely because they're fans of HP. Those people may or may not have gone to Universal without HP. Lots of people will go to SW:GE ONLY because they're fans of SW. I don't think there are enough (any?) Avatar fanatics to draw people to Disney.

And that's why SW: GE will finally be the "Potter Killer" that Disney has been looking for every since Hogsmeade opened.

justintheharris

1. I'm willing to bet most people who like Disney have at least some respect for Universal if not right out enjoy the parks.
2. Best ride you've ever been on eh? Have you done Flight of Passage in Animal Kingdom yet?

aliceismad

Flight of Passage
Soarin
Mission Space
Figment
The seas with Nemo and friends
Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
Toy Story Midway Mania
Star Tours

All have screens...that isn't even a complete list.
All true! But they’re not really thrill rides, so most don’t make me sick. (Haven’t been on FOP, so I don’t know about that one.) I can’t do MS. ST and Soarin may be bothersome on a bad day, but neither is as intense or jerky as some of the Uni rides.

It’s not just Universal. I’m never going to be a fan of screen-based thrill rides anywhere. I’m scared the SW:GE rides will be too much. Guess I can look forward to Tron and GotG? And the new HP coaster.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
All true! But they’re not really thrill rides, so most don’t make me sick. (Haven’t been on FOP, so I don’t know about that one.) I can’t do MS. ST and Soarin may be bothersome on a bad day, but neither is as intense or jerky as some of the Uni rides.

It’s not just Universal. I’m never going to be a fan of screen-based thrill rides anywhere. I’m scared the SW:GE rides will be too much. Guess I can look forward to Tron and GotG? And the new HP coaster.

That's certainly fair, everyone has their own preferences and that's why both parks do so well.

Weather_Lady

I've never understood why Disney fans get offended by someone liking Universal. I like them both. These days I'd probably give the edge to Universal. I'm not a big fan of fast pass plus and having to plan my vacation months in advance.

WDW and Universal are two different animals and each have their pros and cons, but I don't understand the competitive feelings, either. I love them both, too, and like you, my family is more interested in Universal at present (at least until WDW has new stuff to offer -- we're thinking maybe 2021 for our next WDW visit). Our upcoming Orlando vacation this year will include a family member with some unpredictable health issues, so the ability to tour smaller parks, at a more relaxed pace and without having to stick to a rigid plan of FP+ and ADRs (plus the option to stay at a hotel with Unlimited Express Pass at a reduced passholder rate - equivalent to the cost of a Disney moderate with no such perks - all thanks to the low pricetag of Universal's seasonal annual passes, which cost less than 3 days worth' of WDW MYW tickets), makes Universal a far better choice for us.

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

I actually liked that and Jaws. It was a good utilization of the now useless lake.
They really should have kept those two rides.

If they had somehow added Mummy (i know in the same space but they could have put Mummy where fast and furious is) and kept Jaws and Kong along with Harry Potter the Universal side would be alot stronger.

I agree totally. We took our kids when they were little to Universal, and they still talk about how much fun Jaws was. As adults, they were disappointed that it was no longer there. I agree that the old Kong was fantastic. I remember Kong grabbing our car and letting us drop down. What a fantastic, realistic ride. I also love the Mummy. Of course, HP is the top of the line and so immersive. I Could spend days there!

OG Runner

Flight of Passage
Soarin
Mission Space
Figment
The seas with Nemo and friends
Monster's Inc Laugh Floor
Toy Story Midway Mania
Star Tours

All have screens...that isn't even a complete list.

I really hate these arguments, but here we go again. At Universal, there are screen rides that are motion simulators
with the 3D affects. Transformers, Minions, Fallon, Spiderman, King Kong and The Simpsons are all, almost, the same ride,
with a very similar "story". You are out of control, racing from here to there, fall off something tall and almost crash and
are somehow saved. Stop reaching calling a ride like Figment or The Seas with Nemo screen rides, because they have
some projections on the way. And Mission Space, yes, you are looking at a screen, but you a pulling 7Gs of centrifugal
force, much more than a screen ride. Stop reaching, just to be obtuse.

fosse76

Nope, Disney didnt want to kowtow to JK Rollings' demand for control. What was critical was Comcasts purchase of the Blackstone investments stake for a billion. At the time Comcast still has sufficient capital to make the necessary investments for elevating their parks with new attractions and experiences.

Just to make it clear, Comcast did not own Universal at the time the Wizarding World of Harry Potter was developed nor when it opened. Personally, I think this external oversight is one of the reasons it succeeded. They couldn't just make cuts and do things on the cheap.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
I really hate these arguments, but here we go again. At Universal, there are screen rides that are motion simulators
with the 3D affects. Transformers, Minions, Fallon, Spiderman, King Kong and The Simpsons are all, almost, the same ride,
with a very similar "story". You are out of control, racing from here to there, fall off something tall and almost crash and
are somehow saved. Stop reaching calling a ride like Figment or The Seas with Nemo screen rides, because they have
some projections on the way. And Mission Space, yes, you are looking at a screen, but you a pulling 7Gs of centrifugal
force, much more than a screen ride. Stop reaching, just to be obtuse.

I really hate these arguments, but here we go again. At Disney, there are screen rides that are motion simulators with the effects. Soarin and Flight of Passage are almost the same ride. It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Three Caballeros are all boat rides so they're practically the same ride. Not to mention the roller coasters. Barn stormer, 7DMT, and Rockin Roller Coaster are roller coasters so they're practically the same ride.

You lost the argument when you stated that Transformers, Minions, Fallon, Spider Man, King Kong, and Simpsons were almost all the same ride. If you had said Transformers and Spider Man you would have made a point, but here we are.

I didn't say they were screen rides, I said they all had screens. I was literally making fun of the other poster's comment, just like I'm making fun of yours now.

OG Runner

I really hate these arguments, but here we go again. At Disney, there are screen rides that are motion simulators with the effects. Soarin and Flight of Passage are almost the same ride. It's a Small World, Pirates of the Caribbean, The Three Caballeros are all boat rides so they're practically the same ride. Not to mention the roller coasters. Barn stormer, 7DMT, and Rockin Roller Coaster are roller coasters so they're practically the same ride.

You lost the argument when you stated that Transformers, Minions, Fallon, Spider Man, King Kong, and Simpsons were almost all the same ride. If you had said Transformers and Spider Man you would have made a point, but here we are.

I didn't say they were screen rides, I said they all had screens. I was literally making fun of the other poster's comment, just like I'm making fun of yours now.

See, my fault, I was expecting an argument, because you are usually good for one. I actually won my argument for the reason you noted I lost. In all of those rides, they are screen driven, motion rides, and at or near the end are "dropped" and caught by the Minions, Spiderman, Bumblebee, King Kong and just ramps. (with Simpsons & Fallon). Do you deny it?!?! I rest my case or you win, I don't know,
I don't care, and I am pretty sure you don't either, but there it is. :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
See, my fault, I was expecting an argument, because you are usually good for one. I actually won my argument for the reason you noted I lost. In all of those rides, they are screen driven, motion rides, and at or near the end are "dropped" and caught by the Minions, Spiderman, Bumblebee, King Kong and just ramps. (with Simpsons & Fallon). Do you deny it?!?! I rest my case or you win, I don't know,
I don't care, and I am pretty sure you don't either, but there it is. :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:

WE'VE BOTH WON AND LOST!

DeletedAccount55555

Clearly you haven't been to USJ recently (or at all). That nighttime parade is great!

I have not. I was referring to just the U.S. parks. I've seen videos of the USJ parade and that needs to come to Florida ASAP.

The new lagoon show at USF and the projections on Hogwarts are a step in the right direction. The live shows at Universal are still lacking. I've enjoyed Animal Actors and Horror Make-Up once in a while, but the Sinbad show was just wretched and you couldn't pay me to go to Fear Factor Live. They seem to do OK with diversion-level live entertainment like Celestina Warbeck, but not big productions outside of Horror Nights.

OG Runner

A good summary of the difference between Disney and Universal:
Speaker hole that was lazily cut and covered. The hole cut in the wall is far too big for the metal plate which looks incredibly cheap and sloppy, further the plate itself doesn't even try to hide the fact that there's a speaker there. It's blatantly obvious, it's an afterthought. This is in the best themed land on Universal property.
View attachment 338178
A speaker insert that's been very nicely designed into the building architecture, you wouldn't even know one was there.
View attachment 338179

Disney pays attention to the details. Universal couldn't care less.
I'll also point out that the best TMs on Universal property are positioned in the Wizarding World. Due to JKR demands.

Well, I am glad you didn't try and oversimplify the comparison.o_O

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom