Imagination/Kodak refurb permit filed

Figment571

Yeah I took a tour this summer and saw it.Ahh, so many memories. Apparently they have gutted most of the electronics in the displays, so if they wanted the same stuff they have to rebuild. The pin tables were there. That made my day.:king:

jedimaster1227

Now that I have revisited the upstairs area of Imagination on a tour, I really wonder if they are going to put the money into it.

I would imagine just the power that thing alone must cost a lot since it's surrounded by glass. The sun beats down, so it must be a fortune to run the air conditioning there.

I wonder how recently your visit to the former Imageworks was, because I was informed by the company that they were currently gutting the upstairs for future use, with it being out of usable service to both corporate clients as well as general guests. The last time I was up there was back in September of 2006 for the Team Possible Challenge and almost everything was still intact. Last I was told, everything remaining from the former post-show is now gone, including the Rainbow Corridor.

Yeah, I would imagine it would cost a lot.

When we walked in there during the tour they didn't have the A.C. on, and it was like hitting a giant wall of heat smacking you in the face. I would assume it would take a lot of cash to keep that place cool.

If I remember correctly, this was not an issue (and I remember it being extremely cool for a Florida September that day I went back). On your ascent up the stairs to the Imageworks, you will notice some aesthetically designed holes on the outline of the staircase. These were wide-spreading air vents that seemed to keep everything cool in the main hub of the 2nd floor. Inside of the exhibit halls (including Dreamfinder's School of Drama and Figment's Coloring Book), there were ceiling vents similar to those built in the other pavilions. I don't really remember ever feeling hot inside of that pavilion, other than the times when I used to run around the inside as a "young one..."

cdunbar

jedi I know that you don't want to jeporadize your sources, being that in the near future you want to be an imagineer (or so I've been told), but can you say that sooner rather than later the ride is no longer going to make one shoot themselves? :rolleyes:

jedimaster1227

jedi I know that you don't want to jeporadize your sources, being that in the near future you want to be an imagineer (or so I've been told), but can you say that sooner rather than later the ride is no longer going to make one shoot themselves? :rolleyes:

Yes, it is true that I plan on pursuing my dream of being on the other side of the Disney spectrum, but I have many projects that I am working on to help bridge the gap between the company and the community...

As for the fate of this pavilion, I've been hearing better news, but nothing is definite until construction work begins. I don't have a specific timeframe anymore (specifically because I have been spending much of my research time tracking the Space Mountain refurb coming up), but I will begin to look into it again now that I have the information I was looking for with Space. Change will come, I just don't know when...

darthjohnny

I wonder how recently your visit to the former Imageworks was, because I was informed by the company that they were currently gutting the upstairs for future use, with it being out of usable service to both corporate clients as well as general guests. The last time I was up there was back in September of 2006 for the Team Possible Challenge and almost everything was still intact. Last I was told, everything remaining from the former post-show is now gone, including the Rainbow Corridor.

I went probably over a year ago, I think it was Spring 2006, so yeah, it could have been gutted by now.
The room had a set of chairs with a large cut out of figment. Some stuff was still there, like those metal pin tables where you could put your hand under and make an imprint.

If I remember correctly, this was not an issue (and I remember it being extremely cool for a Florida September that day I went back). On your ascent up the stairs to the Imageworks, you will notice some aesthetically designed holes on the outline of the staircase. These were wide-spreading air vents that seemed to keep everything cool in the main hub of the 2nd floor. Inside of the exhibit halls (including Dreamfinder's School of Drama and Figment's Coloring Book), there were ceiling vents similar to those built in the other pavilions. I don't really remember ever feeling hot inside of that pavilion, other than the times when I used to run around the inside as a "young one..."

I went around March/April, so it was uncomfortably warm in there. Obviously there was no A.C. because no one was up there using it normally, so why bother having it on. But I was thinking that it must take a lot of energy to cool that place during the middle of the summer days.

As for the future uses of the upstairs area, I don't know how practical it could be, but I always thought it would make a cool restaurant. :)

PigletIsMyCat

I like the ride how it is. Of course, I have no older version to compare it to, which means you're all going to tell me that OF COURSE if I had seen another version, this one would be soooo lame and stupid. But I love this version of Figment, I love Eric Idle, I love the music, and I love the Cons stashed outside the computer room. If they do change this ride in the future, I can speak for my family that we'll be sad to see it go.

CThaddeus

I took the tour in September, and they wouldn't let us go upstairs. I specifically asked when we started to leave the Imagination area, and they said now they're substituting a visit to the 3-D glasses cleaning room instead. While it was nice to see the washing machines, I would have definitely preferred to go upstairs. I'm glad I at least got to see the whole thing operational back in 1996.
And PigletIsMyCat, I definitely recommend watching a video of the original (Martin's tribute, for example). While I love Eric Idle, he was sadly misused in the current incarnation. Dreamfinder and the original Figment gave the attraction class and inspiration. When I came off the original attraction, I felt the urge to go out and create...to actually use my imagination. When I ride the current incarnation, I just don't feel inspired at all. The current Figment voice is irritating and petulant, the scenes are just cheap funhouse gags, and it's all about telling you about your five senses...as if you didn't already know what they were. Plus, if you like the song, you would really have liked the original. The song is carried throughout much better than in the present version...and the original was almost twice as long! But, I guess Journey Into Imagination with Figment fits in "Epcot" (lately, just about anything does). It just would never have fit in EPCOT Center.

kcnole

I like the ride how it is. Of course, I have no older version to compare it to, which means you're all going to tell me that OF COURSE if I had seen another version, this one would be soooo lame and stupid. But I love this version of Figment, I love Eric Idle, I love the music, and I love the Cons stashed outside the computer room. If they do change this ride in the future, I can speak for my family that we'll be sad to see it go.

There's always one.

Just messing with you. Truly I think you should go back and watch Marni's tribute to the original imagination. It was charming, it was actually imaginative, and we truly learned a bit through it. The current version isn't horrible, its just forgettable.

JEANYLASER

I am glad that Imagination and kodak will update this ride! I hope it Operation:Rescue Dreamfinder. I love Dreamfinder and Figment!:)

TOTGuy

When I had my Land training in June my trainer took us all around the West Side. I got to walk on the old Food Rocks stage, see some old Horizons AA costumes in a storage closet, and got to go upstairs in the Image pavilion. Everything is pretty much gutted. But in June the rainbow corridor was still there. Most of the structures were there, just the technology had been torn out. The giant paintbrushes you used to paint scenes were still there too. So maybe some of that stuff will stay. Who knows...

brianplace

permits: WYSIWYG

Sadly, no mention of the ride, but a permit has been filed to refurbish the post-show interactive area.

http://officialrecords.occompt.com/...id=29484106&file_num=20070794891&doc_status=S

I have heard from two reliable sources that this permit is the extent of the refurb. WYSIWYG. I'm calling on everyone to write every executive at PIXAR, ABC and ESPN immediately and demand they do more. Tell them how you are no longer emotionally attached to EPCOT, and you'll never ever visit again unless they reopen the second floor (and install more flashy lights on the descent of SSE.)

(sorry, too soon?)

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
Does anyone have something showing the layout of the track from the orginial version vs todays version?

I'm probably totaly way off on this - but it seems like they've moved the track (loading area) way back from where it used to be.

Anyone?:shrug:

TheBeatles

Does anyone have something showing the layout of the track from the orginial version vs todays version?

I'm probably totaly way off on this - but it seems like they've moved the track (loading area) way back from where it used to be.

Anyone?:shrug:

I can't remember where the load was, but the tracks are still under the floor. You can see the imprint of them while walking through the queue and the post-show.

When you walk off the ride and into the post-show you can feel and hear the hollow ground below you.

Skippy_

If they spend money on the current crappy-post show, then that means the chances of them ripping it out and extending Imagination to its original length, are all the more less likely.

Rip out the queue and post show and extend Imagination to its original length (also, bring Dreamfinder back)!

Use the whole building and use it right :brick:

Skippy

Calm down, this is a false alarm

Dont get all too excited. the permit ONLY says :

General Description of Improvements: Refurbish and refresh interior finishes, such as paint, light fixtures , projectors, and floor coverings.

This isnt a ride refrub, just a little refreshing.

Mr.EPCOT

I was just in there last week, and everything is still up there. It hasn't changed since 2004 when I first went up there after it had been closed, with the exception of the pin tables being moved around. A couple of the red neon tubes are even still on in the Rainbow Corridor. It is worth noting that the area around Dreamfinder's School of Drama and Making Faces is walled off as a staging area for the new Waste Management venue that is going into Innoventions East.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
I was just in there last week, and everything is still up there. It hasn't changed since 2004 when I first went up there after it had been closed, with the exception of the pin tables being moved around. A couple of the red neon tubes are even still on in the Rainbow Corridor. It is worth noting that the area around Dreamfinder's School of Drama and Making Faces is walled off as a staging area for the new Waste Management venue that is going into Innoventions East.

Epcot finds the most bizarre uses for empty spaces.. and the waste management explains why its lit at night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom