Imageworks - Can we make a difference?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
So...I was thinking to myself and I had this thought. An idea if you will. It may be a terrible idea and if so, we can nuke this thread and pretend it never happened. No harm done. Anyhoo, we talk about a lot of stuff. Argue over things. On most topics there may be a majority, but there is always a substantial minority that disagrees. However, almost everyone seems to miss Imageworks and can't fathom why the upstairs closed. Now, even if they were to update it with a few new things, this has to be a relatively inexpensive endeavor. So, have you ever wondered what would happen if

1) Disney got a ton of letters complaining about not be able to access the upstairs in the Imagination pavilion? At first, I was wondering about having a form letter, but I think it works better and is more organic if we all write in our own voice (the whole range from Dear Sir or Madam, Over the years I have greatly enjoyed my experiences at the Walt Disney World Resort but have been mildly flabbergasted at one managerial decision TO You Stupid Bleeping Bleepers. Take away the one Bleeping Place where my kid can Bleeping Play in the Air Conditioning and so on). However, it may be worthwhile to have a form letter for those who agree, but aren't as passionate or don't have time. We'll need a list of appropriate people and addresses from one of the well-informed insiders that infests these boards.

2) People began asking CM's about ImageWorks EVERY time they were in the park.

3)We started a petition? I have no idea if this is worthwhile or how to organize it, but I know they exist for crap like this.

This may be a bad idea. To me, it seems OK. The worst case it gets people thinking about the issue again and in the best case we get our playground back. So, am I an idiot? Yea or Nay.

nepalostparks

The first two ideas could have an impact, if done for awhile, and en masse. Having a personally written letter will do much better than a form letter (and having it mailed in to one person/department will make sure someone takes notice vs. just emailing).

In person at Guest Services at EPCOT will most surely make someone take notice too... there's the face to face factor that can help make it count.

Petition? I wouldn't waste the time. With an online community group like this, all you can really do is an electronic petition, which will be thrown into the Recyle Bin awfully fast.

Just my opinion on the subject.

Horizons1

If anything were done, letters would be the best option. Hand-written letters are the most powerful form of communication to WDW staff.

CM's might say something, but most would pass it off and not think twice about it.

Online petition: don't waste my time and don't waste yours.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm all for this. If I have some time, I'll draft a letter for them. There is no real reason for the closure of this great area save for TDO's frugality on the insurance.

Good to see annother IW fan, too. I loved the stuff they had up there. So many lights. :lol:

misterID

I think if you're going to the trouble of doing this just for image works you might as well put all your energy in targeting the entire Imagination pavillion. Most importantly the ride and dreamfinder.

I would be down for writing a letter or whatever.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I think if you're going to the trouble of doing this just for image works you might as well put all your energy in targeting the entire Imagination pavillion. Most importantly the ride and dreamfinder.

I would be down for writing a letter or whatever.

Part of my thought is that Imageworks is a small thing that was really nice. Leaning on them to change an ride/entire pavilion probably has a smaller chance of success, not that I'm against that. This is something where I think some well applied pressure has a high probability of yielding results.

misterID

But look at it this way, I can see them agreeing to something like this, putting a small bit of money into refurbing it and then saying the Imagination refurb is done and it would delay the true reburb that pavillion desperately needs for who knows how long. I think it would be a waste of time just concentrating on that small part of the pavillion, considering the enormity of what's wrong with Imagination and what NEEDS to be fixed.

Maybe the insiders know more about this than me, but I think there's already plans drawn up for a Imagination ride refurb, or at least close to it.

Cmdr_Crimson

If the Friends of Figment were able to bring Figment back to the pavilion..It can work again to bring back the original Imageworks..:D

scotth1224

So...I was thinking to myself and I had this thought. An idea if you will. It may be a terrible idea and if so, we can nuke this thread and pretend it never happened. No harm done. Anyhoo, we talk about a lot of stuff. Argue over things. On most topics there may be a majority, but there is always a substantial minority that disagrees. However, almost everyone seems to miss Imageworks and can't fathom why the upstairs closed. Now, even if they were to update it with a few new things, this has to be a relatively inexpensive endeavor. So, have you ever wondered what would happen if

1) Disney got a ton of letters complaining about not be able to access the upstairs in the Imagination pavilion? At first, I was wondering about having a form letter, but I think it works better and is more organic if we all write in our own voice (the whole range from Dear Sir or Madam, Over the years I have greatly enjoyed my experiences at the Walt Disney World Resort but have been mildly flabbergasted at one managerial decision TO You Stupid Bleeping Bleepers. Take away the one Bleeping Place where my kid can Bleeping Play in the Air Conditioning and so on). However, it may be worthwhile to have a form letter for those who agree, but aren't as passionate or don't have time. We'll need a list of appropriate people and addresses from one of the well-informed insiders that infests these boards.

2) People began asking CM's about ImageWorks EVERY time they were in the park.

3)We started a petition? I have no idea if this is worthwhile or how to organize it, but I know they exist for crap like this.

This may be a bad idea. To me, it seems OK. The worst case it gets people thinking about the issue again and in the best case we get our playground back. So, am I an idiot? Yea or Nay.

I just took the Undiscovered Future World tour last week and we got to go upstairs and look around. I hate to tell ya, but its pretty much abandoned, some pin tables still there, where the maze was in the back is walled off for some kind of laser testing....Otherwise there is a cast breakroom and lots of dust. Our guide told us that the reason that they shut it down is that WDW guests would not go upstairs....He stated that even though there was an elevator and escalator, people just wont go up. Also stated that is why MouseGear was remolded some time back and put all on one level instead of the old Two Story version. Merchandise upstairs would not sell. Actually when you think about it....there are very few things at WDW that are upstairs so it seems to make sense.

LucyintheSky

I just took the Undiscovered Future World tour last week and we got to go upstairs and look around. I hate to tell ya, but its pretty much abandoned, some pin tables still there, where the maze was in the back is walled off for some kind of laser testing....Otherwise there is a cast breakroom and lots of dust. Our guide told us that the reason that they shut it down is that WDW guests would not go upstairs....He stated that even though there was an elevator and escalator, people just wont go up. Also stated that is why MouseGear was remolded some time back and put all on one level instead of the old Two Story version. Merchandise upstairs would not sell. Actually when you think about it....there are very few things at WDW that are upstairs so it seems to make sense.

I'm glad you mentioned that about Mouse Gear. I have this memory from my first trip when I was 7 (back in 84) about being on the 2nd floor of a big store in epcot, I always thought it was whatever the store was called before Mouse Gear... but I had started to think it was just a false memory or I was confusing it with something else. I can stop wondering now! :ROFLOL:

MissM

Our guide told us that the reason that they shut it down is that WDW guests would not go upstairs....
And yet the upstairs seating area of the Electric Umbrella is generally always full. :shrug:

When I was a kid, I remember the ImageWorks always being packed. I don't know if it declined in the 90's or something but it was a great place to go, brought so much more light into the Pavilion and was a lot of fun.

I'd definitely help write a letter to bring it back.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I do not think it is really a problem with getting people upstairs it is how do you get them downstairs in the event of an emergency. From what I remember of the upstairs of JII the ways down consisted of a single escalator, a small elevator and a spiral stair. It is also my understanding that they actually had to have a kind of safe room to put people in during a fire that were unable to use the stairs(ie scooters and wheel chairs) From everything I have been told or read it seems like the Achilles heel of this section and the reason we might never see it reopen was a poor evac design.

MythBuster

I do not think it is really a problem with getting people upstairs it is how do you get them downstairs in the event of an emergency. From what I remember of the upstairs of JII the ways down consisted of a single escalator, a small elevator and a spiral stair. It is also my understanding that they actually had to have a kind of safe room to put people in during a fire that were unable to use the stairs(ie scooters and wheel chairs) From everything I have been told or read it seems like the Achilles heel of this section and the reason we might never see it reopen was a poor evac design.

There is actually a big exit stairway in the back of Image works and exits next to the guest restrooms in the back of the pavilion. It is only used by cast members but could be used in an emergency.

mastif

^There's also another "cast" only stairway between the exit to the gift shop and HISTA that could be used in emergency...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
There is actually a big exit stairway in the back of Image works and exits next to the guest restrooms in the back of the pavilion. It is only used by cast members but could be used in an emergency.

^There's also another "cast" only stairway between the exit to the gift shop and HISTA that could be used in emergency...
True but in an emergency people are going to rush to the exits they know about.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
It is also my understanding that they actually had to have a kind of safe room to put people in during a fire that were unable to use the stairs(ie scooters and wheel chairs) From everything I have been told or read it seems like the Achilles heel of this section and the reason we might never see it reopen was a poor evac design.
Indeed it was; room on the east side, behind the Electronic Philharmonic. The refuge was the main reason upstairs closed. A new, direct external ramp could solve that problem in the future.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Cool at least there's some interest. :lol:

It seems like a ramp or something like Martin suggested for an emergency evac wouldn't dent the pocketbook that much. Also, having much of the area abandoned may be a good thing. By now, it would have needed some updating (i.e. new stuff for us to play with). As far as attendance, I was a local in the 80's and 90's and I don't remember ever going up there and thinking this place is empty, unless it was a low attendance day. In other words, I think the crowd level was pretty representative of the crowd level in the park. Saying people wouldn't go up there is an excuse. Anyhoo, I still think it would be interesting to see if we could get some kind of action. Who would be the people to write to? What are the addresses?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom