I'm happy to be a new FT cast member, but...

olean

One thing I have to say through my one-year experience (May 2007 to May 2008) as a CP, I saw the good and bad of the Disney life. The pros and cons are everywhere you look. And it certainly applies to Disney as well. You can be naïve, and ignore it. Or you could be real resentful, and only see the evil side.

Regardless, Disney has an eviler side – making you miss the atmosphere of it weeks and months after leaving it all behind. I can’t decide whether I want to come back as a full-timer. Right now, it makes no sense. I can’t financially hold myself together – and with how things are these days, it’s best to wait it out.

One thing I do know for sure, is being there for a year – I noticed all the dirty little secrets that’s as mysterious as hidden Mickey’s.

And it is VERY true – as much as the company pushes the basics down people’s throats – as much as the managers proclaim that ALL cast members are valued – the truth be told, that is not the case at all. If you work at Disney and isn’t some high status manager (mind you, managers don’t get paid that much), you are simply just a body – or, as a previous poster proclaims, just a number.

And considering what will go down at the end of the year with some departments, Disney as a whole – does not care about your struggling efforts, or the fact you are supporting your family with what Disney offers you.

I have found that the folks that struggle the most, actually are the happiest. Not happy of “the happiest place on earth”. No – they resent that…

They are happy because they have each other, their families, and their God. Naïve? Maybe. But they could be the riches people on property, just by what the believe in…

You consider all the facts – and it makes no sense. For those that will defend Disney’s actions toward not valuing all cast members, it isn’t too far off, I hate to say it. I had heard the stories of they hey-day’s, when CPs were respected more then, than now (there is a dirty ugly rumor among full-timers that believe one day, Disney will decrease all full time hours – and hire more CPs – if you take a look at custodial in EPCOT at the end of the year, that scare may not be as crazy as it sounds).

I had heard about the golden times, when all cast members were given birthday parties everyday – that cast members were treated to pricey dinners during Holidays, and there were VIP parties at the end of the year. Take a look at Disney now!!!

You have to weigh in everything – and realize that it is a different time. And also realize that just because you have a bigger company with a bigger name, doesn’t mean it’s the best. You make your experience for what it is, yes. But also have a more realistic outlook of Disney. The TV spots, the magical moments – all of that, is just one side of Disney. There’s a whole other world of that place that will shock you.

Unfortunatly, as a Cast Member I must agree with your post. Its sad but very true. While I enjoy working for Disney Its still hard to oversee the fact that I am still working for a giant money-guzzling corporation that is out to make lots of money and keep its shareholders happy.

Disney is a unique company as it operates like a government bureaucracy, if you need something as a cast member you must go through a layer of departments and online forms, and the truth is that you are handled as a number and not by name as there are too many cast members. Example, A simple request such as a day off request is sent via an online form and processed by a clerk in a huge "labor office" that is handling thousands of similar requests. Your immediate manager has no authority nor ability to make any scheduling decisions, they can only refer you to the online form or send an email on your behalf to the same office.

I also agree with the CP rumor, through the years I have noticed that the number of CPs has continued to grow and grow to a point where more than half of all the cast members in my area are CPs that come and go every few months, many of which come from all over the world. The few full-time cast members that I know quietly agree with the same observation.

So from a guest perspective it is true that Disney may be close to being the "happiest place on earth" and there is in fact "Disney magic". But I assure you that as a cast member you see a different side.

khelinski

I also hate to bring out this discouraging idea…but the true fact of it all, CPs=cheap labor. From the perceptive of the company, it’s a great form of business. There will always be a huge turn around for CPs, CSs (career start), and ICPs. ALWAYS. Even if half either gets terminated, self-terms, or just can’t handle the job, being away from home – ect-ect, CPs are nothing more than cheap labor with no rights. In some departments, CPs go through light hazing. In other departments, CPs aren’t even respected as equals.

From the very beginning, I was excited and honored to be there. And from the perceptive of the CPs/ICPs, and CSs, it's a wonderful opportunity to put on a resume. You do get to meet people from ALL OVER THE WORLD (that's a promise). And you get access of all the parks (full-timers laugh at this, but CPs eat it all up - I would know, I was in those parks at least once a week!)

But the difference between a person that’s there a few months (returning Disney-buff CPs), and someone that’s there for a year – is when you are there for a year, you see a whole entire different perceptive (and the same goes if you work there full-time, or live down there long enough).

I am not going to discredit the experience. And you really have to think of it as that. I was lucky. I was placed in a department that doesn’t get the most respect, but has some of the most amazing people I have ever encountered. I went down there, not knowing anyone. Jump forward a year – I left an amazing family behind.

And some of the other CPs also made the difference. On top of that, it was neat to be there for a year – see all four seasons (or, in Florida’s case – three or two seasons in a given year). I didn’t get a chance to change roles, and that was cool for me. I enjoyed being in World Showcase all year round. From the tail end of Flower/Garden last year, to the summer season, to Food and Wine (crazy times), to the Holidays Around the World (crazier times), to New Year’s Eve (the craziest night of all time), to the beginning of this year’s Flower/Garden. It was a treat to be there and see all of that.

However, working there full-time is an entire different experience, and I can’t even imagine what some of the full-timers go through while struggling. I had learned before leaving, a great change that will occur at the end of the year. It’s this change that I am grateful I didn’t decide to stay down there. But it makes me worry for those who are dependent on what they were always promised. I can’t go into details – I will just say, full time will be a thing of the past for some…now there’s a magical moment for you.

If only some of you people would know what I know about 'the happiest place on earth'...:fork:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
hmm... that's what I've been saying for years till people stopped caring :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom