I'm happy to be a new FT cast member, but...

figmentmom

...with Disney being a Fortune 500 company, I don't understand why don't they offer relocation assistance! :shrug: Coming from Texas, moving companies have quoted me $1,000 or more just for me to move there.

Even with gas prices being so high these days, I'm thinking that I'll have to cut my losses, load my little truck, and haul myself with what I can carry.

Any opinions?

Cut your losses, load your truck and haul yourself with what you can carry. :)

If you're an hourly FT employee they don't offer relocation. How do they know the person won't quit after they've relocated to FL? So many people would take advantage of that, having all of their expenses paid for by Disney to move. Especially now when gas is so high.

I agree. The fact of the matter is that you're relocating to an hourly-wage job. If you WANT to relocate to accept that job, Disney will be happy to hire you - but your relocation expenses are your own responsibility. It's not to their advantage to pay your moving expenses - they can hire someone else for your exact job who's right there in Orlando already.

That's very true. However, on the other hand people need to make car payments, rent, pay for bills, etc. You can love your job all you want, but if you're not making good money, stress builds and you become upset which makes it hard to work because your mind is usually somewhere else.

Trust me, I know, it's happened to me.

I completely agree - and that's where each individual has to make his or her own decision based on their own circumstances and priorities. If you have a low-paying job that you LOVE, is it more important to you to stay where you're happy (even if it means struggling to make the bills), or find a higher-paying job you like less? We're all different.

Tigggrl

Ok, heres my 2 cents....Not that it matters, but.....
I have always lived my life doing what I wanted and living out the dreams I had. I could pick up and move for a job I wanted, or just jumped blindly into situations because I wanted to. I have no family support....never have since the age of 17. I have done it alllll on my own, and it has been very hard, trust me! But looking back now I wouldnt have wanted to do things any other way.
You only live once. You do what you have to to survive. If you have a support system, that makes it even easier. I am to the point now of looking for a job after a 5 year hiatus due to a work related injury. I am ready to take life by the horns again and thrive. I may not be doing it as blindly as before, but life throws curveballs at you. Its a new window open after a door closed. I had my dream job, and it wasnt meant to be, but I did it:)
GO FOR IT! Don't let anyone tell you you cant, or how hard it is....its only as hard as you make it. As a full time employee, it will be easier than you think. LIVE your DREAM!:wave:

ImaYoyo

They do if you're an exec, i.e. Bob Iger.
Why is it that everyone assumes you have to be an executive to live comfortably while working at The Walt Disney Company. You will not "make it big" working an entry level role at ANY company, The Walt Disney Company included...

But the great thing at TWDC is that earning potential exists for entry level roles after years of service. I know quite a few people that have worked for me in the past that have made 30-40k in entry level positions, after being with the company for higher amounts of years (15+)... how many people working at McDonalds for 15 years have that potential? How many people ringing up clothing at Old Navy have that potential?

Regardless, entry level positions ANYWHERE in the country will not pay well for the most part. However, people so many times assume that everyone that works for TWDC is out serving icecream for playing friends with characters. BUt don't forget all of the people that work in sales, marketing, advertising, HR, Labor, craft roles, ect ect ect... there are thousands of people that work at Walt Disney World that aren't "scraping to get by".

that's my buck-fity...

WDWKat26

I completely agree - and that's where each individual has to make his or her own decision based on their own circumstances and priorities. If you have a low-paying job that you LOVE, is it more important to you to stay where you're happy (even if it means struggling to make the bills), or find a higher-paying job you like less? We're all different.

I loved my job. But, I recently found one that I love more than my old job. And, i'm getting paid more. So, Disney is not the be all end all.

figmentmom

Why is it that everyone assumes you have to be an executive to live comfortably while working at The Walt Disney Company. You will not "make it big" working an entry level role at ANY company, The Walt Disney Company included...

But the great thing at TWDC is that earning potential exists for entry level roles after years of service. I know quite a few people that have worked for me in the past that have made 30-40k in entry level positions, after being with the company for higher amounts of years (15+)... how many people working at McDonalds for 15 years have that potential? How many people ringing up clothing at Old Navy have that potential?

Regardless, entry level positions ANYWHERE in the country will not pay well for the most part. However, people so many times assume that everyone that works for TWDC is out serving icecream for playing friends with characters. BUt don't forget all of the people that work in sales, marketing, advertising, HR, Labor, craft roles, ect ect ect... there are thousands of people that work at Walt Disney World that aren't "scraping to get by".

that's my buck-fity...

I'm certainly not arguing with you! The OP's comment was about an ENTRY-LEVEL position, and that's what I responded to.

I loved my job. But, I recently found one that I love more than my old job. And, i'm getting paid more. So, Disney is not the be all end all.

Who said it was? :veryconfu I simply said that each of us has to decide for ourselves what was most important!

ImaYoyo

I'm certainly not arguing with you! The OP's comment was about an ENTRY-LEVEL position, and that's what I responded to.

Who said it was? :veryconfu I simply said that each of us has to decide for ourselves what was most important!
My bad... that's what I get for skimming through the posts instead of reading the entire thing...

So very very true...I just don't know why people can't understand that. Fairy tales don't pay the bills.

Most jobs that don't require a college education don't pay the bills. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't think that Disney is a bunch of saints or that they're angels to work for but at the same time you have to take in to account that the frontline positions at Disney, entertainment included, don't ask for any educational background and therefore can't really be expected to be highpaying.

No offense Figmentmom, but after 15 years of service, I'd no longer call that entry level. Most people can't really afford to wait for 15 years to start making $30,000 a year.

figmentmom

No offense Figmentmom, but after 15 years of service, I'd no longer call that entry level. Most people can't really afford to wait for 15 years to start making $30,000 a year.

I completely understand that! My point is simply that we have choices in life. If you really, really want to be a Cast Member (front line or not), and Disney pays X-number of dollars per year, then you need to decide if you are willing to work for that amount of money. If the answer is yes, go for it. If the answer is no, then you're much better off looking elsewhere.

I know the op posted this question in a cast forum on another message board, and I mentioned over there that when I transferred from PA to FL, I had to pay my own way. Mind you, I only work P/T at Disney, but I also work F/T at another job (office position). It cost me about $2500 to have my belongings moved 1000 miles by a moving company (I packed). I am single too, with a cat (driving down with her went very well). I have know quite a few other CMs transfer and only 1 was offered assistance, as imayoyo said:

However, relocation is covered for full time cast members moving to other areas of the country that are transfering roles, as are most salaried positions from the start.

Also, don't forget that you can get some great tax-breaks for your relocation!

Because you are moving so far for your job, there are tax breaks available, but they might not be enough to be worth it. I don't think it was for me, even with all the donations I made to GoodWill. :)

As someone who works in the pension industry, remember that part of your "compensation" are your benefits. This includes medical, discounts, passes/admission, etc. I have worked retail since 1985 and those items are considered part of the "package." It took me about 4 years of working at TDS to get back to my last wage at Bloomingdale's, which I had left about 5 years prior to that!

Peace ~ and good luck to the OP on the move!

Fatshe Leso

I feel your pain as I have done a cross country move on my own dime. I was living in Arizona at the time and was being considered for two jobs and one of the two was actually for The Walt Disney Company in Orlando. Unlike your experience though Disney was going to offer me full relocation. Their relocation program even included flying out a spouse and providing assistance in getting the spouse a job. Unfortunately I didn't get selected for the Disney job and the other employer did eventually offer me the job of which I accepted. However that employer did not offer relocation expenses but I was so desperate to move to Orlando that I moved anyway.

IMO whether or not relocation expenses are offered come down to two things: 1) the company's budget 2) the value of the prospective employee's skillset. So if they are looking for someone with a pretty particular specialization then it is worthwhile for them to expand their job search to include out-of-state applicants and offer relocation expenses to entice them to work for the company.

I also want to add -- more often than not when companies offer relocation expenses they are nearly always some kind of terms to accepting the job offer. It is highly unlikely that they will pay for the move and then one month after you arrive you can walk away unscathed. A company is certainly within its right to ask you to sign an agreement stating that you must stay with the company for say 1 year or you will have to pay them back for the relocation expenses. I never did ask Disney about their relocation terms since they ended up hiring someone else but I would be shocked to hear that they don't have some kind of agreement that they require before providing relocation expenses.

Best of luck to the OP!

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
They do if you're an exec, i.e. Bob Iger.
or an MBA :rolleyes:

My brother-in-law was offered $104k/yr in Burbank right out of business school back in 1995... and full relo.

Citi offered him $120k and a free corporate apartment in NYC... and full relo.

It was a no brainer for him.

james15

Well, I'm not that naive.

Anything can go wrong anywhere, at any company. I lived through a nightmare working for a property management company for a year and 5 months, and since I've done the CP already, I have a good idea of what to expect.

Still, I've never been happier than when I worked at Disney.
I was happy 6 days a week.Thursdays where always depressing though.:lol:

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
...with Disney being a Fortune 500 company, I don't understand why don't they offer relocation assistance! :shrug: Coming from Texas, moving companies have quoted me $1,000 or more just for me to move there.

Even with gas prices being so high these days, I'm thinking that I'll have to cut my losses, load my little truck, and haul myself with what I can carry.

Any opinions?

Simple really...like any other job offer...either it meets your expectatations or not....if it is not acceptable or is not sufficient to meet your needs than you say no.

As others have said, for various professional postions, as with other Fortune 500 companies, staff is never given relo...only management beginning at an established level.

Cubs Brian

That's great that you have never been happier working for Disney...I just know some people can not afford to make so little and have to work so many hours.
Don't blame Disney, that's what happens when you live in a Right To Work State. It sucks when a union worker is forced to have the same wage as a non union worker.

You can hardly blame the fact that Florida is a right to work state for how little Disney pays. Universal is in Florida as well and they pay more than Disney does, as do most local jobs. It pretty much rests on the fact that Disney can get away with paying less because people are willing to work for them for low pay.

olean

Disney has over 60,000+ cast members, if they offered relocation assistance for all the company would go broke. You also need to keep in mind that relocation assistance is not usually offered by Florida companies, so its not just Disney.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Disney has over 60,000+ cast members, if they offered relocation assistance for all the company would go broke. You also need to keep in mind that relocation assistance is not usually offered by Florida companies, so its not just Disney.

It's not usually offered by any company, anywhere, for entry level unskilled jobs. For skilled jobs in Florida (and anywhere else) where there is demand, there are plenty of employers that will do relo.

khelinski

One thing I have to say through my one-year experience (May 2007 to May 2008) as a CP, I saw the good and bad of the Disney life. The pros and cons are everywhere you look. And it certainly applies to Disney as well. You can be naïve, and ignore it. Or you could be real resentful, and only see the evil side.

Regardless, Disney has an eviler side – making you miss the atmosphere of it weeks and months after leaving it all behind. I can’t decide whether I want to come back as a full-timer. Right now, it makes no sense. I can’t financially hold myself together – and with how things are these days, it’s best to wait it out.

One thing I do know for sure, is being there for a year – I noticed all the dirty little secrets that’s as mysterious as hidden Mickey’s.

And it is VERY true – as much as the company pushes the basics down people’s throats – as much as the managers proclaim that ALL cast members are valued – the truth be told, that is not the case at all. If you work at Disney and isn’t some high status manager (mind you, managers don’t get paid that much), you are simply just a body – or, as a previous poster proclaims, just a number.

And considering what will go down at the end of the year with some departments, Disney as a whole – does not care about your struggling efforts, or the fact you are supporting your family with what Disney offers you.

I have found that the folks that struggle the most, actually are the happiest. Not happy of “the happiest place on earth”. No – they resent that…

They are happy because they have each other, their families, and their God. Naïve? Maybe. But they could be the riches people on property, just by what the believe in…

You consider all the facts – and it makes no sense. For those that will defend Disney’s actions toward not valuing all cast members, it isn’t too far off, I hate to say it. I had heard the stories of they hey-day’s, when CPs were respected more then, than now (there is a dirty ugly rumor among full-timers that believe one day, Disney will decrease all full time hours – and hire more CPs – if you take a look at custodial in EPCOT at the end of the year, that scare may not be as crazy as it sounds).

I had heard about the golden times, when all cast members were given birthday parties everyday – that cast members were treated to pricey dinners during Holidays, and there were VIP parties at the end of the year. Take a look at Disney now!!!

You have to weigh in everything – and realize that it is a different time. And also realize that just because you have a bigger company with a bigger name, doesn’t mean it’s the best. You make your experience for what it is, yes. But also have a more realistic outlook of Disney. The TV spots, the magical moments – all of that, is just one side of Disney. There’s a whole other world of that place that will shock you.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom