I'm happy to be a new FT cast member, but...

sandicinderelli

Original Poster
...with Disney being a Fortune 500 company, I don't understand why don't they offer relocation assistance! :shrug: Coming from Texas, moving companies have quoted me $1,000 or more just for me to move there.

Even with gas prices being so high these days, I'm thinking that I'll have to cut my losses, load my little truck, and haul myself with what I can carry.

Any opinions?

Tigggrl

...with Disney being a Fortune 500 company, I don't understand why don't they offer relocation assistance! :shrug: Coming from Texas, moving companies have quoted me $1,000 or more just for me to move there.

Even with gas prices being so high these days, I'm thinking that I'll have to cut my losses, load my little truck, and haul myself with what I can carry.

Any opinions?
Rent a Uhaul trailer and pack it up...I packed everything myself, rented a uhaul, Had a hitch put on my car and hit the road....Gas is the biggest expense...and you are halfway between where I was in Florida...
Yes, I drove 3000+ miles cross country by myself....It give one alot of time to reflect....LOL!

WDWKat26

Yeah, I hate to say it but Joeyjoe hit the nail on the head. If you're an hourly cast member, they're not going to pay for relocation. Maybe if you were going out for an Imagineer position or something huge, but if you're just a regular Full Time CM they won't do it.

DisneyJoe

Any opinions?

Depends on what type of position you are taking.

I know very few companies that offer relocation assistance anymore, except for top management/executives.

sandicinderelli

Original Poster
Gas is the biggest expense...and you are halfway between where I was in Florida...
Yes, I drove 3000+ miles cross country by myself....It give one alot of time to reflect....LOL!

Wow! I'm counting my blessings now! I have a pretty good ballpark figure of how much gas is going to be since I went in March to work for a week. Plus, my dad had to go to Tallahassee this week to visit my stepsister, so I'll talk with him and make a gas estimate when he gets back.

Did you transfer recently?

WDWKat26

You won't get slammed, but you do get a few sad head-shakes.

Why? It's true. If you're an hourly FT employee they don't offer relocation. How do they know the person won't quit after they've relocated to FL? So many people would take advantage of that, having all of their expenses paid for by Disney to move. Especially now when gas is so high.

sandicinderelli

Original Poster
Thanks for the help Kat...Some people always want to believe working for Disney is a fairy tale and nothing goes wrong.

Well, I'm not that naive.

Anything can go wrong anywhere, at any company. I lived through a nightmare working for a property management company for a year and 5 months, and since I've done the CP already, I have a good idea of what to expect.

Still, I've never been happier than when I worked at Disney.

Tigggrl

Wow! I'm counting my blessings now! I have a pretty good ballpark figure of how much gas is going to be since I went in March to work for a week. Plus, my dad had to go to Tallahassee this week to visit my stepsister, so I'll talk with him and make a gas estimate when he gets back.

Did you transfer recently?
I transferred abut 6 years ago...But it was one of the best things I ever did....I came out here and worked for the mouse, starting out casual, calling and begging for hours, and I LOVED my job...I had just gotten benefits and was on my way to full time when I had to leave:(......Long story.
The job was great the pay and hours sucked but I was never happier....

sandicinderelli

Original Poster
That's great that you have never been happier working for Disney...I just know some people can not afford to make so little and have to work so many hours.

And that's why I'm so grateful that I'm still single with no spouse or kids to worry about...

I respect your opinions and expressions about Disney, though. Thanks for your input.

Dreamstuff

Thanks for the help Kat...Some people always want to believe working for Disney is a fairy tale and nothing goes wrong.
The head shake isn't because I think working for Disney s a fairy tale! We could be talking about driving a Mac Truck or working for UPS, the point is if you love your job even if the money is low you'll find a way.

ImaYoyo

Are you working an entry level position? To be honest, I'm not sure I know of any companies that pay for relocation of entry level positions. It's especially difficult for companies with such a large base of entry level employees such as TWDC, specifically WDW. Can you imagine paying 3,000-4,000 Cast Members every year to "relocate".

However, relocation is covered for full time cast members moving to other areas of the country that are transfering roles, as are most salaried positions from the start.

Also, don't forget that you can get some great tax-breaks for your relocation!

WDWKat26

The head shake isn't because I think working for Disney s a fairy tale! We could be talking about driving a Mac Truck or working for UPS, the point is if you love your job even if the money is low you'll find a way.

That's very true. However, on the other hand people need to make car payments, rent, pay for bills, etc. You can love your job all you want, but if you're not making good money, stress builds and you become upset which makes it hard to work because your mind is usually somewhere else.

Trust me, I know, it's happened to me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom