I'm Goin' to Disneyland!

DanStat

Original Poster
Well, it's semi-official! ;) My school's choir trip this year is to LA, with a stop at Disneyland. The details aren't official yet, but is there anything I should know? I know the LA area pretty well but not Disneyland in particular. Any help from locals would be great! Thanks in advance!

DanStat

Original Poster
I would like to know...

I would like to know which attractions are "must". Compared to WDW, are there any attractions I should see? Which ones can I miss? Where should I eat inside Disneyland?

The trip is March 22-26. We're doing some kind of Disney workshop they put on for Disney's Magic Music Days.

BRER STITCH

Fantasmic!329 said:
I was in DL just over a week ago, and it is loads of fun!

Have a great time!

Hey FANTASMIC! :wave:

Tell us all about your trip!!!

Inquiring minds need to know! :lol:

16 days left til I am there!

:sohappy:

BRER STITCH

disneyprep50321 said:
I would like to know which attractions are "must". Compared to WDW, are there any attractions I should see? Which ones can I miss? Where should I eat inside Disneyland?

Hey DISNEYPREP! :wave:

SEE EVERYTHING and DO EVERYTHING!!!

DL is so much smaller than WDW that its really a lot quicker to get around, so you should try to do everything at least once!

As far as eating, there's lots of suggestions on the board here somewhere, but sit-downs at DL are very limited. Blue Bayou is the most recommended place to eat but it is also pretty pricey. There's always Goofy's Kitchen if you want a character meal, too!

Sounds like a fun trip! As I have mentioned on here before, I found that while planning my own trip for later this month, DL inof is VERY hard to come by compared to WDW stuff, but you can;t go wrong no matter what you do, as it will all be an exciting new experience for you!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Fantasmic!329

BRER STITCH said:
Hey FANTASMIC! :wave:

Tell us all about your trip!!!

Inquiring minds need to know! :lol:

16 days left til I am there!

I know, I know- that TR I promised isn't quite done (all right-- I didn't even start it.) I will have one very soon.

DanStat

Original Poster
Thank you!

BRER STITCH said:
Hey DISNEYPREP! :wave:

SEE EVERYTHING and DO EVERYTHING!!!

DL is so much smaller than WDW that its really a lot quicker to get around, so you should try to do everything at least once!

As far as eating, there's lots of suggestions on the board here somewhere, but sit-downs at DL are very limited. Blue Bayou is the most recommended place to eat but it is also pretty pricey. There's always Goofy's Kitchen if you want a character meal, too!

Sounds like a fun trip! As I have mentioned on here before, I found that while planning my own trip for later this month, DL inof is VERY hard to come by compared to WDW stuff, but you can;t go wrong no matter what you do, as it will all be an exciting new experience for you!

:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Thanks, Brer! I've noticed that it's hard to find DL information. I might just buy the official guide.

stitch rocks

BRER STITCH said:
As far as eating, there's lots of suggestions on the board here somewhere, but sit-downs at DL are very limited. Blue Bayou is the most recommended place to eat but it is also pretty pricey.

If you go to Blue Bayou for lunch it's signifigantly cheaper than dinner. I suggest the crab cakes they are amazing! Remember to make your reservations early, probably the day before you want to eat there... they fill up fast. By the time the park opened the only time I could get was late in the afternoon. Have an amazing time!

stranger

disneyprep50321 said:
Thanks, Brer! I've noticed that it's hard to find DL information. I might just buy the official guide.

On this board it is a bit difficult. Here's a thread with sites to other disneyland boards. You can find all the info you could possibly need. :wave:

stranger

Fantasmic!329 said:
I know, I know- that TR I promised isn't quite done (all right-- I didn't even start it.) I will have one very soon.

With pictures? :D :lookaroun

I'm still waiting to read it. No pressure! :lookaroun

Shrike

I take it you won't have many days to see DLR. If it's only one day, you most likely won't see half of DL, much less DCA. There's more to do and see at DL than any other Disney park by far, so you'll need a plan.

As a suggestion, I'll offer up my usual route through DL.

Skip Main street. You'll be back later, especially to see Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years. Don't miss this, but don't do it now. Head up Main Street. Yes, the castle is tiny. Make a left at the Crystal Palace through Adventureland. Everyone else will be headed for TL and the new Space Mountain, so I save it for later. Skip Jungle cruise...you'll be back. If you're there at opening, ride Indy. If not, get a FP and head past NO Square to Splash Mountain. Ride. Yes, it's different. Skip Pooh as you exit. Back to NO Square. Ride HM. Ride POTC. Yes, they're both better than what you're used to. FP for Indy. Indy is cool. Pull the rope. Ride Jungle Cruise. Whaddaya know? t's different too...I prefer the one in WDW.

Catch your breath. If so inclined, Dole Whips are right next to the Tiki Room entrance whiuch should be right in front of you. It's the old school Tiki Room, so take a load off and watch if you're interested.

Head to Frontierland and ride Big Thunder Mountain. When you exit, make a right and head up past Big Thunder Ranch. Don't eat there. Before you know it, you're passing Villiage Haus. Keep going. Ride Toad. Toad is greatness, so ride it again..you probably won't be doing it again anytime soon. Ride Alice in Wonderland. The rest you've seen before. Ride 'em again if you're ok on time. Head to IASW. This one is much cooler than the one in Florida, but the music is the same, so if you hate that, just watch the building for a bit. ToonTown if you're so inclined is to your left as you face the big shiny clock.

Head to TL and get a SM FP. Head back to the Matterhorn. Different sides are different tracks, I prefer the Subs side personally. Your milage may differ. Speaking of subs, a glance at the construction wall lets you know that they're coming back, albiet with a friend. Too bad it'll be a couple of years. Oh well. Ride SM. Buzz at WDW is better, but it's right there, so what the heck? Star Tours. It's, um, Star Tours. Without the external theming. Time to eat something. I'll leave that to you.

From here, do whatever, but keep a couple of things in mind:

1) Get some DL gold ears made before you leave. The lines for embroidery will be looooong, so be prepared.

2) Don't miss Disneyland: The First 50 Magical Years. Don't even think about it.

3) Get to the hub early enough to get a good place to stand for Remember. Don't miss this either...it's flat-out awesome.

4) I love just wandering through the streets of NO Square. It's my favorite land in the Disney Empire, although I admit I'm slightly biased. In any case, a wander through the streets is a good thing to do.

5) If you're going to try to eat at the Blue Bayou, which I highly suggest (the food is just meh, the atmosphere is the best of any Disney restaurant), get a reservation. Walkups are rare at best, regardless of the time you wish to dine. Ask for a table on the rail, but don't wait overly long for one.

6) Have a great time!

David

We had our first vist there in June and like others have written, it is more difficult finding out info about DLR than WDW. But I enjoyed visiting Visions Fantastic ( www.visionsfantastic.com )for a board that is similar to wdwmagic. We also bought the Birnbaum's Guide to Disneyland.

I can only offer a little bit of advice since I have only visited there once, but here are some observations.

Enter through the front gate. Sound obvious, but we took the monorail from our hotel which left us close to Autopia. As a result, it took us a while to get our bearing. When we finally got to the castle, we knew the outlay of the park, since it is so similar to the MK.

Don't be disappointed in the castle. It is much smaller than WDW, but it is the original and really pretty.

We rode all the rides that were not at WDW, and still had time to take in almost all of the other rides. We were not able to ride BTMR because there was an earthquake in the LA area and they had to check out the track. It was closed for a long time that day.

Do see The First 50 years of Disneyland.

Claim an area EARLY for Remember. It is beautiful, and the crowds can packed in for it.

We did not do a "sit-down" meal becuase we only had one day at DLR and one at DCA and did not want to lose "ride" time.

Be ready for the close proximity of the rides. I was really surprised how close so many of them are.

I enjoyed DLR, but WDW is still my favorite. Having said that, there are parts of DLR that i prefer. I thought that Main Street and Fantasyland had much more Disney character than does WDW.

Enjoy planning your trip and have a great time!

BRER STITCH

stitch rocks said:
If you go to Blue Bayou for lunch it's signifigantly cheaper than dinner. I suggest the crab cakes they are amazing! Remember to make your reservations early, probably the day before you want to eat there... they fill up fast. By the time the park opened the only time I could get was late in the afternoon. Have an amazing time!

Thanx for the tip STITCH ROCKS! :wave:

We are going there for a late lunch on our arrival day. Our second day we are booked for lunch at the Wine Country Trattoria and Dinner at the Storytellers Cafe (suggested by a VERY helpful JASON in reservations! - THANX JASON!!!) on the second day.

I am most excited, though, that I got us seats for the Fantasmic Dessert Party on Saturday night! That ought to keep us out of the crowd for a nice show!

We can't wait! 9 days til we're there!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom