I'm getting killed on airfare!!!

redfive13

I finally figured out my 5/1-5/7 trip to WDW (nothing like waiting till the last minute!)

But the airfare from Boston to Orlando is NUTS!!!! I feel like I've tried every option, but can't do much better than $1060.00 for 3 tickets.

Anyone have any tips or tricks for finding good airfare? I need to book it today...

zjer

I am flying from Vegas that same week (well the 2nd to 7th) and that week was at least a hundred dollars more than the week before and the week after.

It was quite bizarre, I booked my trip early so that I could get that 30% off discount on hotel rooms figuring I would be able to find flights no problem. Boy was I wrong, I thought that flights would go down, I checked every single day for a month and they did nothing but rise (except for one day that I am still kicking myself for not booking). Not only that, the flights were being scaled back so the good flights were booking quickly. I ended up paying a lot more than I thought I would just so that I would get a decent flight.

I figure with gas prices rising it's not going to get any cheaper between now and May 1st...:hurl:

Upvote 0

Baylordad

Aa

Used American Airlines in October from DFW. $940.00 Advance Airfare for 4 wasn't bad. $240.00 for baggage is outrageous!! We are driving for our May Trip.

Upvote 0

redfive13

Original Poster
Ok, its booked. I remembered that I had some unused United miles, so I cashed them in (paid with miles & $$) for 2 tix and bought the 3rd.

About $700 total for 3 tix, I feel better about that than the $1108 I was contemplating from JetBlue.

Upvote 0
If you are in Worcester, how about Bradley Int, Hartford CT? It's closer than Manchester and Providence, should be about an hour away. I checked Southwest for 3 for those dates and I'm getting about $844 total direct flights.

Upvote 0

redfive13

Original Poster
So the drama continues...

Booked my tix from United, bought 2 with miles and the 3rd with a credit card, 2 separate transactions.

When we go into choose our seats for our flight to Orlando, its saying that NO SEATS ARE AVAILABLE, AIRLINE WILL ASSIGN SEATS AT AIRPORT!!!

Are we screwed? Why would they be doing this?

Upvote 0
I feel for you. I'm going to WDW in July and for the 3 of us 2x adults 1 x child I'm being quoted from Dublin to Orlando direct €2,500 or that's US$3,350 with Aer Lingus.com . I'm hoping they have a summer sale because I've to book by the end of the month.

Upvote 0

ypcat

What I have seen in the past is, first they hope that not everyone shows up for the flight. Then if more people show than there are seats, they will ask for volunteers to take a different flight (plus some compensation). If that doesn't get enough, they will bump some people, but I have never been on a flight where they've had to do this.

As for sitting together, you may not all 3 be sitting together, but they won't have a baby sitting alone. When our son was younger, the airline tried splitting us all up. When we explained a 3 year old would not be sitting by himself they moved us so we had two seats together, and I sat a couple rows away.

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
So how does this work? I need for my entire family (me, wife & baby) to fly together, preferably next to each other...

More than likely, they will ask for volunteers to bump to another flight. If they dont get them, then they will look at "rules" to bump people. You may have an issue with the two tix you bought with points if the rules for using hem state that you can be bumped due to capacity.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

So how does this work? I need for my entire family (me, wife & baby) to fly together, preferably next to each other...
I would try calling United and see what they say about seating nd the possibility of overbooking.

I am going through the same problem with the high cost of air travel. We may be flying Jet Blue for our trip in aearly December this year. It all depends on the price when the dates are finally opened up.

The prices have gone insane over the past 3 years. We flew Southwest from Albany, NY to Orlando for $49 each way in June 2007 which was a ding fare and $79 each way in May 2008 which was the standard internet rate for quite a few years. Now the cheapest rates are $144 one way on Southwest.

The cheapest I have found for Southwest is out of Islip Long Island, but that is way to far for me.

It is going to come down to driving that long 20+ hour trip. I really dread that

Upvote 0

redfive13

Original Poster
I would try calling United and see what they say about seating nd the possibility of overbooking.

I am going through the same problem with the high cost of air travel. We may be flying Jet Blue for our trip in aearly December this year. It all depends on the price when the dates are finally opened up.

The prices have gone insane over the past 3 years. We flew Southwest from Albany, NY to Orlando for $49 each way in June 2007 which was a ding fare and $79 each way in May 2008 which was the standard internet rate for quite a few years. Now the cheapest rates are $144 one way on Southwest.

The cheapest I have found for Southwest is out of Islip Long Island, but that is way to far for me.

It is going to come down to driving that long 20+ hour trip. I really dread that

I tried calling United, they were useless. Do families with infants have any sort of privileges when it comes to getting bumped?

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

I tried calling United, they were useless. Do families with infants have any sort of privileges when it comes to getting bumped?
As far as getting bumped, I do not believe you will have any special privileges. Now as far as seating, they will have to at least give you seats so one adult can sit with the child. The other adult could be in another location.

Good luck!

Upvote 0

mcstensrud

I always fly Jetblue out of Bos(logan).
I can pick my seats when booking and do not have to stress about it,especially on vacation.
They don't overbook and almost always are on time.
Most of the time the closer to your dates you get the cheeper the flights are,unless they are already full.
Plus you can call 1-800-jet-blue and talk to a real person.
Good Luck:sohappy:

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

So the drama continues...

Booked my tix from United, bought 2 with miles and the 3rd with a credit card, 2 separate transactions.

When we go into choose our seats for our flight to Orlando, its saying that NO SEATS ARE AVAILABLE, AIRLINE WILL ASSIGN SEATS AT AIRPORT!!!

Are we screwed? Why would they be doing this?

Sounds to me like the flight is oversold.

Not necessarily screwed or oversold. When flights get close to being sold out, the last few seats are usually blocked out from being assigned. Also take into account that most airlines generally do not allow customers to choose exit row seats online by themselves. They either have to do that with an agent over the phone or wait until the airport.

If you are really concerned, call the airline direct and see what they have to say. It could be oversold, they could be changing the type of plane for that leg of your journey, which means the seating assignment isn't available at this point, it could mean a lot of things. Don't panic yet! :wave:

Upvote 0

nepalostparks

I tried calling United, they were useless.

It's a pain, but if you only spoke to one agent, if you have the time (and the patience) try calling back and speaking to another agent. They might be more helpful. Policy from airline to airline varies - every agent at United might be trained to give you the same response. But I've found sometimes one agent isn't particularly helpful while another one might be.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom