Illuminations torch no pyro

Father Robinson

Original Poster
For a couple of days now the torch has not been shooting the 2 bursts of pyro right before the thousand points of light finale. Tonight the globe didn't even open. I guess technical probs, but I find it cool that to compensate for the 2 bursts that would normally come from the torch, they shoot 4 bursts from the fountain barges twice. I personally like that effect.

Here's a vid I shot tonight.

Tom Morrow

For a couple of days now the torch has not been shooting the 2 bursts of pyro right before the thousand points of light finale. Tonight the globe didn't even open. I guess technical probs, but I find it cool that to compensate for the 2 bursts that would normally come from the torch, they shoot 4 bursts from the fountain barges twice. I personally like that effect.

Since the third rocket pyro launch did go off, this seems to be a modification to the show rather than missing elements.

Captain Barbossa

I heared about some pyro issues too about a month ago that sounded very similar to what you have mentioned.

Father Robinson

Original Poster
Man, this show is really showing its age. Sad to see, really, as before HEA came along, this was my top show on the property.
I understand how you can see it like that, but lose the projections and you're left with basically lasers, spotlights and the same amount of fireworks as ROE. HEA is a wow moment in MK history for sure, but can't hold a torch to the storytelling aspect of RoE. And a HEA style show can't really be accomplished on the lagoon. So while I agree compared to HEA, RoE seems a little more primitive I still feel it's the best show for EPCOT. I actually love how there's no projections in it, sets it apart from all the other projection relying spectaculars. They're great don't get me wrong, but the fact that RoE portrays such an amazing story of past, present and future with the effects it uses makes it the perfect fit for EPCOT I feel.

wdwfan22

I understand how you can see it like that, but lose the projections and you're left with basically lasers, spotlights and the same amount of fireworks as ROE. HEA is a wow moment in MK history for sure, but can't hold a torch to the storytelling aspect of RoE. And a HEA style show can't really be accomplished on the lagoon. So while I agree compared to HEA, RoE seems a little more primitive I still feel it's the best show for EPCOT. I actually love how there's no projections in it, sets it apart from all the other projection relying spectaculars. They're great don't get me wrong, but the fact that RoE portrays such an amazing story of past, present and future with the effects it uses makes it the perfect fit for EPCOT I feel.

I'm pretty sure there is more pyro in happily ever after then illiminations. Both are great shows though.

EvilChameleon

The projections are probably only 10% of why I believe HEA is the best show on the property right now. Music, actual pyro, etc, way higher and better reasons.

And for the record, the special tags Illuminations puts on for 4th of July, Christmas, NYE, are all still better than anything else not only on the property, but possibly the entire world.

Daveeeeed

While I loved Happily Ever After last night, Illuminations is still IMO far better.

disney1023

This show needs to go. Yes it's a classic but so was Wishes, and they replaced that with Happily Ever After. If Disney can do that with the Magic Kingdom, imagine what could be done for Epcot. I would also like to point out that Illuminations was made for the 2000 celebration only, and Epcot is the only park with no projection shows.
(maybe they could do World Showcase AND Future World shows? Figment...?)

Goofywilliam

It has been like this since the beginning of April unfortunately. Not sure what the problem is.

Disone

Sure. But none of that is mere feet away from the viewer. The sheer force of the special tags for Illuminations is incredible. I see videos all the time of people going "whoa" and laughing like crazy people at what they just witnessed.
There is something to be said about the close proximity to the TAGs at Epcot. They are almost literally in your face. That said, it pains me to admit it, because I love Illuminations, but I know in my heart, that for the last few years, I have not been going unless there is a tag.

I think they need to upgrade the show. Give the finally more firepower, I doesn't have to be on the level level of the Holiday Tag, but it certainly needs to be several notches above the current finale which compared to a tag, or even HEA, pales in fireworks. It needs to be on the level of HEA's Finale. Heck, you could almost fix the show with a final volley of fireworks after the 1000 points of light (all the white flares) that would be on par with HEA's last 13 seconds.

Instead of a holiday tag, do an entire Holiday show, which the used to do way back. It was called Holiday Illuminations, and yes it ended with let their be peace on Earth. The new Holiday show could not use the globe allowing for it to get an annual refurbishment.

V_L_Raptor

It has been like this since the beginning of April unfortunately. Not sure what the problem is.

I'm not sure about the overall changes to the show, but much of central FL has been under a burn ban for the past several weeks. I recently saw a map that showed the Orlando area as having severe drought conditions. If the pyro effects are back in full force once the June rains begin, I'd be willing to bet the reduced pyro was Disney's way of working with the burn ban(s).

V_L_Raptor

Does EPCOT really have to worry about that though? The entire show is over water.

The show is, yes, but they'd need to have an eye toward what could go wrong. If they're also under a watering restriction (as a lot of places are), that might make them cautious around all of the landscaping. Again, I'm not sure, but the timing seems right, considering the burn bans and the wildfires around.

EvilChameleon

The show is, yes, but they'd need to have an eye toward what could go wrong. If they're also under a watering restriction (as a lot of places are), that might make them cautious around all of the landscaping. Again, I'm not sure, but the timing seems right, considering the burn bans and the wildfires around.

So you're saying that they removed the two most central bursts of fireworks in the entire show, as in, the two bursts of fireworks furthest from everything, and replaced them with 8 (8!) bursts of fireworks which are further out and not central, in order to avoid those two central bursts possibly lighting something on fire?

Nah, rubbish. Probably just a directional change or something wrong with the earth barge.

natatomic

I Don't know, Studios' and Magic Kingdom's launch bays are surrounded by thick forests. Neither one of them have cut back on their Pyro. That just doesn't really make sense

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom