Illuminations: Sky Dance!

Idunno, I grew up on the original (I think?) Illuminations, and I LOVED that...there was just something glorious about watching each individual country have its "moment", and I gained a huge love of classical music...specifically, those classical songs...as a young child because I thought the show was so fantastic.
Then I didn't go to Disney from 1996 (when I turned 16 and my parents stopped taking me) til 2003, when I went on my honeymoon with my husband. I was completely overwhelmed by Wishes and Fantasmic, and completely underwhelmed by ROE - I wanted my old show back!
When I watch my movies from the 5 trips I've taken since then, I almost always fast forward through to just about the end of ROE - otherwise I'm just sitting there and staring at a globe for way, way too long.
I do like "we go on" - but I really won't mind when they do a new show. The nighttime entertainment is the only thing I like more at the other parks than at EPCOT.

wickedfan07

So many people praising RoE for its message of "We Go On" yet not so ready to actually move on to a new show. :)

I know, that is ironic. But I'd have to put myself in that group of holdouts for RoE. I guess I have an emotional attachment to it. I love the music, I love the opening narration, I love the finale. It really is the total package. I think if the show was plussed and modified a little bit it could keep going strong for several more years. But, we are talking about Epcot..."Keep moving forward." I guess when it does finally close I'll just have to accept it. Though I may need to do everything in my power to get down there to see the final show, just to get some closure. :lookaroun

As said many times before, I will be more willing to accept a new show if Gavin Greenaway is announced as the composer of the new score, and if it is also announced that there are no characters. Epcot's nighttime shows have never really had characters, and they've been doing just fine without them for over 25 years. I see no reason to add them now. Given those two conditions, I'll be willing to accept a new show.

dxwwf3

Idunno, I grew up on the original (I think?) Illuminations, and I LOVED that...there was just something glorious about watching each individual country have its "moment", and I gained a huge love of classical music...specifically, those classical songs...as a young child because I thought the show was so fantastic.

I was completely overwhelmed by Wishes and Fantasmic, and completely underwhelmed by ROE - I wanted my old show back!
When I watch my movies from the 5 trips I've taken since then, I almost always fast forward through to just about the end of ROE - otherwise I'm just sitting there and staring at a globe for way, way too long.
I do like "we go on" - but I really won't mind when they do a new show.

Same here, same here.

WDW Monorail

The project "SkyDance" has been posted on Dorsey's website for at least 2 years. Will EPCOT get a new night time show within the next few years? Yes.

RoE has a special place in my heart. People will try to tell you that the show is old ans stale but it certainly is not. If anything, RoE's message is applicable more to today's world than the world at the time of the millennium.

droraback

It may be a rumor...but one can still hope

After numerous viewings of Illuminations, (most recently Jan 6th) we believe that it is time to freshen' up the show. It would be great if they could keep the integrity of the original experience and add new laser and light technologies.

Epcot82Guy

I agree. I:ROE is hands down my favorite attraction in all of WDW. But, I will admit there is always room for improvement. I think most people agree the premise of the show and the music are amazing. I would really like to see those elements kept and upgrade some of the other elements that could be plussed. It really has enough longevity in story to be around for years and years. I'm doubtful, though...

CThaddeus

Then I didn't go to Disney from 1996 (when I turned 16 and my parents stopped taking me) til 2003, when I went on my honeymoon with my husband. I was completely overwhelmed by Wishes and Fantasmic, and completely underwhelmed by ROE - I wanted my old show back!
I do like "we go on" - but I really won't mind when they do a new show. The nighttime entertainment is the only thing I like more at the other parks than at EPCOT.

I feel exactly the opposite. My first trip was in 1996, when I saw one of the older incarnations of Illuminations. I love classical music - always have, always will - but I was bored silly by Illuminations. I never watch that particular part of my video. In contrast, when I went in 2000 (and 2002, and 2006, and 2007) I was blown away by Reflections of Earth. I almost didn't bother with it because of how little I liked the 1996 version, but I'm glad I did. Now, it's my favorite nighttime show at Disney World, and if I see it less than three times while I'm there I feel like I've missed something. On the other hand, Fantasmic! at the Studios completely underwhelms me to the point that I usually just skip it. I can see the good version of it at Disneyland any time I want to, anyway...
If it leaves, I'll be disappointed, but not surprised. I find Epcot less and less the Park I once fell in love with in 1996 (except for Illuminations) and more and more just a mishmash of stuff that is neither futuristic nor inspiring. Hopefully if they do replace it, the new show will be as good or better...but I fear it will not. Most likely, they'll just install touch screens around the lagoon and tell everyone to create their own virtual Illuminations with that person's face projected on the virtual Earth globe at various times throughout the "performance."

Spyne

If it would ever happen, I would really miss RoE. I have a personal attachment to it and it's music, as most of us do. It would be sorely missed. :(

MythBuster

Don't worry. ROE won't be going anywhere for the next couple of years. Maybe 2010 or even 2012. They aren't going to spend a lot of money to rehab the earth globe, then get rid of it. So the show will change a little bit when the globe is out, they will have to add some fireworks after the Chaos scene.

Scooter

I'm one of those who is ready for a new show.
ROE has run it's course. I Love it, and will miss it, but it's time for a change.
With new technology advances, I'm sure the Disney people can and will come up with something even more spectacular to replace ROE.

spaceghost

I don't know why people bash screamscape, it's only as good as the rumors that people send in. I've found a lot of rumors on that site that were eventually true.

Well, if you make 100 crazy predictions, one or two of them have to pan out eventually. Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and then.

jedimaster1227

Disney bus drivers are more accurate.

I don't agree with you there. My tale of Disney cast rumors seems to outshine anything Steve has yet to mention in the past 3 years on Screamscape:

I went to Epcot last year and happened to ask one of the cast members if there was anything new going into the parks. Basically, from his broken speech and mumbling I got "Stitch... Go... Fast... near Test Track."

Aside from the "popping off the top of Space Mountain," nothing he has reported is as far out there as this one... :lol:

JimboJones123

If Sky Dance would have happened a few years ago when the rumor started, Wouldn't it be dated by now already??? Just think how dated that makes Illuminations.....

I'm just waiting for some "entertainment" to go with my nighttime "entertainment" at Epcot. I'm sure I'll be put in my ignorant place for my comments...

Fizbain32

My wife and I love it that nuch that we used the music for our wedding when we were married in Disney in Sept 06.

Wife says she tells everyone that Disney plays our wedding song ever night. Well she jokes about doing that anyway.

So yeah, we would hate to see RoE go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom