IllumiNations Lasers

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I remember in the Original Illuminations show the American Adventure laser was programmed to do a swing out over the Contemporarys roof. I was up on the observation deck there one night in `93 when Illuminations got into full swing and this one beam shot from World Showcase and seemed to skim the top of the Contemporary! Wish i got a picture of THAT!

dae_woods

Re: Re: Re: IllumiNations Lasers

Originally posted by edwardtc
Common sense tells us that a commercial aircraft, flying at 30,000 feet, will not be affected by a simple low-intensity laser beam from the Illuminations show. In addition, pilots flying in and out of Orlando International are well aware of WDW and Universal being next door - both of which utilize lasers and other lights and effects in their night shows. The lasers are not dangerous, and are used in full force in every show.

Yes they are aware but to take-off into the wind, and being at such close proximity, the planes cannot always get as high as 30,000 before flying over. Disney i am sure, takes all precautions no matter what.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
There is a thread somewhere about this - correct me if I`m wrong but I think its something like you can fly over Epcot, AK and MGM but only above a certain height, and the height limit is higher over trhe MK?

basilfox

Lasers

I spoke to a Disney Cast member at length last time I was there. Aparently the laser system has to follow regulations outlined by the FAA. The Fantasmic! and Illuminations shows must be timed so that one (can't remember which one is first) starts within 15min of the end of the other or they cannot use the lasers on the latter show because of restrictions on the amount of time the FAA grants them the clear airspace.

Just what I remember what the Cast member told me.

I absolutly love this show and am always looking for more videos of it.

MrPodar

Illuminations: Reflections of Earth (movie)

wdwmagic said:
You are in for a major treat! Its a stunning show :D Have a great trip!

Illuminations is spectacular. I agree, you definitely should see it. :)

I'm not sure if you had a chance to see it back in October, and not to spoil it for those of you who haven't seen it yet, but here's a video I recorded with my digital camera of the "Celebration" portion of Illuminations: Reflections of Earth during the New Year's Eve celebration 2003-2004 (7:00 PM showing), while standing between Norway & Mexico.

http://www.skippypodar.net/Movies/WDW-Movies/illuminations2.wmv - (3.9 MB, 1 minute, 33 seconds).

I apologize to those of you who are on dialup or are unable to play .WMV files. :(

I also apologize for all the movement of the camera. This was recorded before I purchased a tripod. :)

Enjoy! ... and let me know what you think.

- Skip "I just love those whistling fireworks!" :)

Thelazer

FAA Rules. There has to be someone actively scanning the sky for any planes. If a plane enters the beam path, the laser must be shuttered. This includes those damn tourist helicopters that are NOT supposed to fly around during the show. This also includes the plans that get re-routed due to weather in the area into OIA and such. The FAA has no reason to grant Disney any "Block out" time where they can use the lasers all the want. Basicly, Disney is at the mercy of the FAA. If the FAA says "you can't use the lasers tonight", then they can't. There is no 15min time frame from one show to the other. However, considering having all the parks shows end at the same time and everyone try to exit at once onto the highway, THAT would be the real reason for staggering the show times.

Not only that, but the have to keep an eye out for people on the roofs of world showcase who should not be there, people who try to cross the railings into the lagoon area etc.

As far as seeing the lasers from a plane, it all depends on the angle the plane is in relation to the beam itself. FAA Rules and rules though and Disney has to follow them.

BTW- if it seems like there are no lasers being used in the show. Well, that's cause they HARDLY use them in ROE. In the original version of illuminations yes, but in ROE.. Not so much.

Notnif

You can fly over Disney World if you are under and IFR (Instrument Flight Rules) Flight Plan. Orlando Air Traffic Control has actually steered me over Disney to avoid other traffic. There is also an IFR airway that goes right over it. No VFR (Visual Flight Rules) flights, I believe, are allowed over Disney unless they are under radar contact and talking with Orlando Approach Control. On another note I have seen illuminations at night when the person I was fyling with proclaimed that there was "green ____!t" going through the air off our right side. I explained what it was and showed him on the aviation chart that it does note that there is laser activity in that area at that time.

djronnieb

Now maybe I'm just dumb, but how would lasers effect airplanes? Do airplanes use them at airports or something? I know that if it pointed straight up it could get in the piolets eyes, but the lazers go straight across the lagoon.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Welcome, djronnieb.

The lasers don`t go `straight up`, but they do carry for many miles. Imagine if a plane flew at just the right height towards Epcot, and the laser at that moment just happened to be fired at the right angle to shine into the cockpit... I`ve mentioned it elsewhere, but during the original Illuminations one laser beam was angled to just miss the Contemporary Resorts South East observation deck (we saw it - you could almost touch it) - and the beam seemed to travel for many moere miles North of WDW, at a slightly increasing angle. Eventually it would reach the correct angle to (in theory) shine into an aircraft.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom