IllumiNations Lasers

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Each laser booth is manned by a technician who checks the scan patten of the lasers for overheard aircraft. If an aircraft enters the scan pattern the laser shot has to be terminated until the aircraft is clear. This is why some days you will see sometimes more, or less, use of lasers in the show.

joefox97

I would guess that this isn't as much of a problem anymore, with the restricted airspace... no fly-overs...

Joe

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
The lasers have a range of around 20 miles, so they still have to be careful of planes in the area, even outside of the nofly zone.

MouseMadness

Originally posted by Dean[AU]
Any pics of the massive range of these lasers? :drevil:

All he wants are pics of the friggin laser beams!!:lookaroun

In all seriousness, I haven't gotten to see Illuminations yet. But, I will have my first viewing this October. :D I can't wait.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Originally posted by MouseMadness
All he wants are pics of the friggin laser beams!!:lookaroun

In all seriousness, I haven't gotten to see Illuminations yet. But, I will have my first viewing this October. :D I can't wait.

You are in for a major treat! Its a stunning show :D Have a great trip!

MouseMadness

Originally posted by wdwmagic
You are in for a major treat! Its a stunning show :D Have a great trip!

So I've heard. :) I can't wait!! I can't tell you how many times we've been leaving the park as they were talking about dimming the lights for illuminations. :( *grumbles about going to WDW with other people who get tired and need to sleep*

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by MouseMadness

HMPH! :mad: and you call yourself a WDW fan! Tsk-Tsk! :D :kiss:

*picks up the heavy rock that Christy has been under* lol j/k ;)

MouseMadness

Originally posted by DMC-12
HMPH! :mad: and you call yourself a WDW fan! Tsk-Tsk! :D :kiss:

*picks up the heavy rock that Christy has been under* lol j/k ;)

It's not my fault I say!! It's my in laws who are under the impression that just because they pay for everything and watch my kids so I can go do stuff on my own that have decided that they should have a say in when we go to bed! HMPH! :mad: In the words of my 4 year old... stupid dummy heads!! :eek: :animwink:

strobe

Originally posted by wdwmagic
Each laser booth is manned by a technician who checks the scan patten of the lasers for overheard aircraft. If an aircraft enters the scan pattern the laser shot has to be terminated until the aircraft is clear. This is why some days you will see sometimes more, or less, use of lasers in the show.

Is this all done by visual verification, or do they use some sort of radar system? It's interesting to me, because my dad flys C-130's for the Airforce reserve, and he told me that some of the lasers from a show in Vegas were clearly visible when they hit the plane once.

It just seems like it would be really difficult to see some of the commerical airliners flying at 30,000 at night. Not impossible, but difficult. If you have any more info, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Re: Re: IllumiNations Lasers

Originally posted by strobe
Is this all done by visual verification, or do they use some sort of radar system? It's interesting to me, because my dad flys C-130's for the Airforce reserve, and he told me that some of the lasers from a show in Vegas were clearly visible when they hit the plane once.

It just seems like it would be really difficult to see some of the commerical airliners flying at 30,000 at night. Not impossible, but difficult. If you have any more info, I would love to hear it. Thanks.

I am fairly sure it is done with visual ID only. They do have radar, but that is for weather. :)

josh_e_washie

Interesting...i wonder if they have ever had any problems with lasers and airplanes and better yet, I wonder what it looks like from a plane!!!! I'll bet its amazing!!!:lol:

isnet396

....the YENSID Trivia Contest (or whatever it was called) had some excellent tidbits of RoE info.....is it possible to conjure it back up? Or is it gone for good...?

BSikor

I grew up in Kissimmee (only about 15 minutes from WDW) and as a kid we had a little swing set with monkeybars and what not, we used to climb on the top and look west every night and we could clearly see green lasers dancing in the sky. Small bursts of fireworks in the distance. It was so cool and its a fond memory.

Tom

Beta Return
Re: Re: IllumiNations Lasers

Originally posted by strobe

Common sense tells us that a commercial aircraft, flying at 30,000 feet, will not be affected by a simple low-intensity laser beam from the Illuminations show. In addition, pilots flying in and out of Orlando International are well aware of WDW and Universal being next door - both of which utilize lasers and other lights and effects in their night shows. The lasers are not dangerous, and are used in full force in every show.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom