Illuminations Globe

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
And the timing...its a toss-up. To be fair, I've seen some clips from 2000 and the pyro was off in certain sections as well. Why the timings change so much over the years, I don't know. :shrug:

I am guessing that the timing issues relate to small changes in the pyro product over the years. I dont imagine the timecode changing.

WDW Monorail

I am guessing that the timing issues relate to small changes in the pyro product over the years. I dont imagine the timecode changing.

Right. For instance, the floating red flashers that are used during Chaos have always been launched at the same point. About 10 seconds later, they would ignite and flash just as the large red mines burned out giving the illusion that parts of the mines were floating. In recent years, the floaters ignited well in to the 'pause' during chaos.

MythBuster

It was previously set to be around 2 weeks, but the situation with this seems to be always changing. Mythbuster has some good info on this, so hopefully he might be bale to add some more info. :)

I have heard anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks. It's a total refurb for the globe, everything will be stripped from the globe itself and everything will be replaced with a new system. New pixels, new wiring, new video drivers, new electronics, new controls, new computers.

So it depends how well everything works when replaced. Hopefully, there won't be many problems.

EPCOT Explorer

Interesting...we are ***TRYING*** to go for a few days in early Aug and it would be cool to still be able to see ROE...Any chance that this might change?

hpyhnt 1000

Right. For instance, the floating red flashers that are used during Chaos have always been launched at the same point. About 10 seconds later, they would ignite and flash just as the large red mines burned out giving the illusion that parts of the mines were floating. In recent years, the floaters ignited well in to the 'pause' during chaos.

Is that effect even still working anymore? I know it was functioning as you described at the beginning of the year, but in recent weeks, I haven't seen it. :shrug:

WildLodgeFan

I have heard anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks. It's a total refurb for the globe, everything will be stripped from the globe itself and everything will be replaced with a new system. New pixels, new wiring, new video drivers, new electronics, new controls, new computers.

So it depends how well everything works when replaced. Hopefully, there won't be many problems.

Thanks Myth! I'm hoping for a smooth rehab for the team so it's place by my trip - because we all know it's all about ME! :drevil:

(JK!)

goodolgm

Is that effect even still working anymore? I know it was functioning as you described at the beginning of the year, but in recent weeks, I haven't seen it. :shrug:

It seems moody. I figured it wasn't the timecode that was changed, but moreso the product changing slightly over time. How much work is it to slightly alter timecode to fix the problem? I'm asking purely from a respectful standpoint and admire the work of the pyrotechnicians, jsut curious and don't know how much work actually goes into programming a show. Something I'd love to learn actually, which is why I ask.

But back to the red flashy things in chaos...they used to start flashing just after the inferno dies down for that break...then after a couple years they popped and flashed a few seconds later....nowadays, they pop and seem like they die after they try to light (sometimes one or two will still survive and perform...must be bad product)....if any of that makes sense.

From a pyro geek, thanks for a great convo! :)

hpyhnt 1000

It seems moody. I figured it wasn't the timecode that was changed, but moreso the product changing slightly over time. How much work is it to slightly alter timecode to fix the problem? I'm asking purely from a respectful standpoint and admire the work of the pyrotechnicians, jsut curious and don't know how much work actually goes into programming a show. Something I'd love to learn actually, which is why I ask.

But back to the red flashy things in chaos...they used to start flashing just after the inferno dies down for that break...then after a couple years they popped and flashed a few seconds later....nowadays, they pop and seem like they die after they try to light (sometimes one or two will still survive and perform...must be bad product)....if any of that makes sense.

From a pyro geek, thanks for a great convo! :)

Yeah, that's about what I've been noticing. There was a time for about a month the effect worked liked it was suppossed to. Now, you hear them crackle and pop, but nothing ever really shows. :( Shame too; it was a great effect when it worked properly.

Something I just remembered - Strange thing is, they used an effect similar to this chaos effect during the 4th of July tag, and those worked fine. So during the normal show, the pyro that's used doesn't work, but 15 minutes later, it does. Now, it could be a different type of shell that's used, but then, why not use the shell that does work? They obviously have it on site, or at least know what kind it is. :shrug:

marksniles

Why would they be doing so much work to it if they are planning on replacing it next year? HMMMMMMMMM!

Rob562

Well, overall it probably wouldn't be a big issue, but it would require someone that has clearance to go in and alter the programming. I doubt most of the pyrotechnicians on the show have that kind of access.

Also, it would require them to know what the original fuse delays were that were built into the products and thus what was programmed into the show. Then they would have to test some of the current product to see what its fuse delay is, and then alter the launch point for that pyro in the programming to account for the change in product.

To do it blindly without knowing the specs of the original products it would definitely take someone with the artistic/musical ability to know precisely when in the music each pyro should actually be exploding so that they could then have the system use the current pyro's delay to set the launch point.

(I don't think I explained that very well, but it works in my head!) ;)

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom