Illinois to Disney driving questions

spfldfan

We are driving from Central Illinois to Disney in September and was wondering if anyone has driven the I-65 route from Nashville to Montgomery, AL and then 231 over to I-10 and across the Florida panhandle to I-75? We usually take the route through Atlanta but someone says this route may be better. Any comments on it? Thanks.

JustPlainBill

I drive down from northern Illinois and take I-65 all the way down to Nashville from Gary, IN. I then get on I-24 and then change to I-75 in Chattanooga all the way in to the Florida Turnpike. I found this the best (fastest) route for me to take. I've driven it twice down and twice back.
I've driven the panhandle through Florida home many, many years ago but found that route to be longer. I don't know how far south you are from me?

Upvote 0

dznygirl64

I also live in central Illinois we used to drive to Disney all the time but with Airtrans prices was a better deal to fly.Anyway we would go I74 TO 155 TO 55 CUT ACROSS RT 4 TO I64 to I57 to I24 thru Nashville to I75 in Chattanooga to WDW I have done this from 18 -20 hours non stop.My wife went this route last week to Nashville and said there was some construction but she made it in 7 hours anyway.Hope this helps

Upvote 0

dznygirl64

Just looked at a map not sure why you would want to go that far out of your way into Alabama?Once you leave Illinois there is more to see so the trip is better.From my house its 12 hours to Atlanta and I try to hit that late at night so there is no traffic very quick trip thru Atlanta then.Late at night in Georga you can fly I have been with trucks before doing 90 and no Police get with a pack of cars or semis and floor it.

Upvote 0

Lauriebar

I live in Nashville. We drive down I-24E to Chattanooga then I-75 to Florida Turnpike to WDW. It takes approximately 10 or 11 hours.

We just recently vacationed in Navarre Beach which is right next to Pensacola.
It took us around 8 hours to get there. I-10 is about 30 minutes North of there so, figure 7.5 hours.

We actually considered visiting WDW at the end of the stay (just for a couple of days) however, when we put it into our GPS it told us it was about 7 hours away! Needless to say we did not want to drive for 7 hours and then have to drive home to Nashville from Orlando the next day.

I see no reason why you would want to go the I-65 route. The other way is much more efficient.

Upvote 0

cemeb4dk

Agree with the above posters. I live in the western burbs of Chicago. I have done both the 57 to 24 and also the 94 over to 65 in Meriville, IN and then down. Then catch 24 in Nashville and then 75 in Chatanooga. down to the turnpike. From me the I57 route was 25 miles shorter than 65 (merrilville) but took about an hour longer. I think its because I drive faster when I am out of Illinois.

We have found the best time for us to leave is approx 2:30 pm or so. Gets us in to the world about 10 or 10:30 in the morning, and we miss all of the rush hours, and are in ATL around 1 am or so and just fly thru it. The only issue is a in Gainesville in the morning, we got into some rush hour. But wasnt anything like Chicago Rush hour.

Upvote 0

sbkline

I live in Mattoon, IL and we usually take I-57 down to Southern IL, then switch off onto I-24, then catch I-75 at Chattanooga, then take 75 all the way into Florida, then get on the Turnpike, then catch I-4 for the final few minutes of the drive.

Like other posters, I think this route is better than the route you're proposing, but I did take that route home on our last trip. Going through Georgia on the way there, I noticed massive traffic backups just outside of Atlanta on the Northbound lane. We were going South, but I didn't want to take the chance of massive backups on the way home, so I opted to take I-10 through the panhandle until we get to highway 231, then up to Montgomery and catch I-65 into Nashville. Mileage-wise, I think it was probably a longer route. But for us, it seems like no matter what year we go, we always run into major roadwork and traffic backups on I-75 (not due to Atlanta rush hour, but due to all that traffic being bottled up into one lane due to the roadwork). And I'm the type of person who would rather go the longer route and at least know that I'm moving and heading somewhere as opposed to taking the shorter route and sitting idle in traffic for God knows how long. And in this case, even if that route was an hour or two longer, by the time we would have wasted an hour or so in traffic backups going the I-75 route through Georgia, we wouldn't really be out any extra time anyway.

So long story short, all other things being equal, the way you're proposing isn't any more efficient and would not be my first choice. However, if you're just looking for a new route for a change of scenery, or if there is major roadwork going on which may cause you to sit in your car moving 5 MPH for 45 minutes on I-75, it may be worth considering taking I-65 through Alabama instead. Otherwise, you're better off taking I-75.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

We live in 'southern' Illinois..across from St. Louis and we always go through Atlanta. If you go the other route let us know when you get back how it was.

Upvote 0

spfldfan

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. We may end up going down this new route, unless someone screams my stupidity for thinking about it. Mainly, just to have something new(always up for a new rd trip) but also see which is better, since hoepfully there will be more trips to WDW in the future.

Upvote 0

dznygirl64

Yes try a new way if you are not in a hurry to get there and see new things.If I where driving to WDW first thing I would do is check each state for construction.The state of Illinois has almost every bridge under construction this summer

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom