Iger Is Taking Over When!?

Mission: SPACE

Original Poster
OK... so I though Bob Iger would be replacing Eisner as CEO next year, October 1, 2006, but according do Disney Online he's taking over October 1, 2005?! Could someone please set me straight? I'm hoping for the latter!

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Mission: SPACE said:
OK... so I though Bob Iger would be replacing Eisner as CEO next year, October 1, 2006, but according do Disney Online he's taking over October 1, 2005?! Could someone please set me straight? I'm hoping for the latter!

It is Oct 1, 2005. However, don't get too excited. Eisner and Iger are very much alike, don't expect any drastic changes. And don't be surprised if Eisner turns out to be the lesser of two evils.

Tim G

Well... Have to disagree with this...

1st. Bob is nicer than Mike...
2nd Bob has better ideas than Mike
3rd Bob is better to talk with (business and human wise)

Greetz! :D

CaptainWonder

Thrawn said:
It is Oct 1, 2005. However, don't get too excited. Eisner and Iger are very much alike, don't expect any drastic changes. And don't be surprised if Eisner turns out to be the lesser of two evils.

Are you serious???
Any change will be great, but beyond that...why are you so negative about EVERYTHING! you claim that you are for the promotion and well being of disney, yet you trash it and its management any time you get the chance...if you don't like it, leave it alone!

Original Poster
Nice... thanks guys!

Personally, I like Iger more than Eisner. And from what I've heard from those whom I work with, he seems to be better at people skills and is not quite as conservative with money as Eisner. For example... have you noticed how they're replacing the San Fransisco facade? Well, just keep in mind that Iger came to LMA not too long ago...

Thrawn

Account Suspended
CaptainWonder said:
Are you serious???
Any change will be great, but beyond that...why are you so negative about EVERYTHING! you claim that you are for the promotion and well being of disney, yet you trash it and its management any time you get the chance...if you don't like it, leave it alone!

I'm not being negative. I'm just saying that people are expecting a night and day switch when Iger takes over. Iger was/is Eisner's right hand man. I cannot believe that people will throw Eisner to the wolves so quickly. When did I trash the management? I LIKE Eisner. I wish people would actually try and KNOW something before they attack it.
He saved TWDC. Period.
All I was saying is that Eisner and Iger are not very different. Read up on them and their histories. You'll see.
Iger is going to do a lot of things like Eisner did, or would do them. But because he isn't Eisner, he'll get a better rep. Just watch and see.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Mission: SPACE said:
Nice... thanks guys!

Personally, I like Iger more than Eisner. And from what I've heard from those whom I work with, he seems to be better at people skills and is not quite as conservative with money as Eisner. For example... have you noticed how they're replacing the San Fransisco facade? Well, just keep in mind that Iger came to LMA not too long ago...

Just so you know, that rehab has been planned for quite a while.

People skills are nice and all, but they don't run a company for you. Also, neither Iger nor Eisner alone make budget decisions. Thats done by the entire board. And since the board is almost completely unchanged, don't look for a giant influx of money to come.

donald23

I'm not really up to date with Disney Management, does anybody have a link or some info about the CEO change and all that?

Lynx04

The whole change over is happening now, Iger is being phased in over the next few months.

Their are some difference between Iger and Eisner.

Iger isn't a micro-manager like Eisner is. Eisner is more creative then Iger, and is more shrude when it comes to business. One thing that made Eisner extremely effective was getting things done for very little money. He did open the wallet for some things, and on some he got burned big time (Euro Disney).

I will hold my judgement on Iger until he gets things rolling.

Thrawn

Account Suspended
Lynx04 said:
The whole change over is happening now, Iger is being phased in over the next few months.

Their are some difference between Iger and Eisner.

Iger isn't a micro-manager like Eisner is. Eisner is more creative then Iger, and is more shrude when it comes to business. One thing that made Eisner extremely effective was getting things done for very little money. He did open the wallet for some things, and on some he got burned big time (Euro Disney).

I will hold my judgement on Iger until he gets things rolling.

And some of his other good plans never got off the ground (Disney's America).

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I am looking forward to Mr. Iger coming into his own. He is business savvy and a survivor (he was able to handle all that Eisner threw at him and keep his head). I believe he is a smart individual, and even if he is not as creative or imaginative as Eisner (was), I truly believe he has looked over Eisners tenure and will not make the business and personal mistakes that will be the legacy of ME. I believe he will reinstitue professionalism and trust in the management structure.

Fingers (and toes) are crossed.

Original Poster
What are your sources for the planned replacement of the San Fran facade? I work right down the street, literally... and never heard ANY mention of it.. Maybe things are different at LMA but we knew about rehabs and changes in T-Land before they happened.

On the note of Eisner and Iger being similar... everyone is different. They all have their own ideas and ways of doing things. And although the board might have the final say in all budget decisions, I'm pretty sure Eisner is pretty much buddy-buddy with most of them. What Eisner says pretty much goes, in my opinion.

LSUxStitch

If it wasn't for Eisner, there probably would not be a Disney World anymore, or as many affiliations with the Disney corp. as there are today. I do BELIEVE that it was time for Eisner to step down and move on because things just weren't working out like they used to. Once everyone turns on you, in ANY situation (Disney or not), it is hard to change other's minds.

Azerin

Eisner has his good points and bad points (like everyone)... I think he did a great job at the start of his Disney career and yes he should be given a LOT of credit for getting Disney to where it is now. However, there are some things that he has done that I am extremely upset about (getting rid of the FL animation and most hand drawn animation as an example) and I am glad to see him go now.

Iger I don't know much about and I am willing to give him a chance. Some of the things that have changed so far seem like good changes; however, I was hoping for someone outside of Eisner's influence based on the recent Disney past.

Shaman

Corrus said:

Thats music to my ears....:D

Only thing I'm hoping for...is that Eisner doesn't stick around in any capacity after Iger is officially CEO...

Original Poster
I agree with all of you guys about Eisner and his extreme importance to the company... however, he is long due to step down.

Yes, back when he joined the management team (which, team btw is HIS word... really a big fan of it, lol) the company was flailing, and without him the company would have had a hard time surviving or would have died off alltogether. And yes, his business concepts are superior. He was the one who promoted more hotels on property, which is ingenious... keep them on property, give them something they want, and make truckloads of more money.

I'm all for supporting Eisner's decisions in years past, but too much of a good thing can be bad, and this is his situation. It's time to go... he knows it, and were finally seeing it happen.

Mr. Eggz

Thrawn said:
Just so you know, that rehab has been planned for quite a while.

Exactly right. Anything that goes through WDI has a lead time of three years these days (even though small world went from conception to completion in less than a year in '64). You wont see Iger's influence on the content of the parks for at least three years from now.

Of course this does not include things like pricing, CM pay, or opperational changes.

Mr. Eggz

Corrus said:

I agree with #1 and #3. He really is a nice guy, no doubt. Eisner is a jerk, no doubt. But Iger is not an idea man. I hope (and this is a BIG hope) that he is able to know a good idea when he hears it. Time will tell.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom