Iger interview in WSJ - "not currently planning" to expand parks

FourFourSeven

Original Poster
I thought this was interesting - excerpted from an interview with Disney CEO Bob Iger in the Wall Street Journal. Looks like we'll get more Disney parks/ideas worldwide, but not much new in the current parks:

WSJ: What are your plans for the theme parks? Are you planning to expand the existing parks?

Mr. Iger: We're not currently planning that. There will be more parks built around the world. I can't say exactly where, although we've said publicly we've been in discussions about Shanghai for a long time. That will end up getting resolved fairly soon. There are three or four entities in the world, locations with money, that are looking for site-based entertainment, I'll call them theme parks but they won't necessarily be along the same lines as parks we've built before. I would guess, not necessarily in the next few months, but in the next year to two years that we will commit to creating a new concept or some entity outside the U.S.

Rest of the article touches on animation, selling ABC shows on the iPod, and the culture of Disney. It's on the Wall Street Journal website, though I believe you have to be a paying member to read it. (I'm not going to post the whole article here for obvious reasons).

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
FourFourSeven said:
I thought this was interesting - excerpted from an interview with Disney CEO Bob Iger in the Wall Street Journal. Looks like we'll get more Disney parks/ideas worldwide, but not much new in the current parks:

WSJ: What are your plans for the theme parks? Are you planning to expand the existing parks?

Mr. Iger: We're not currently planning that. There will be more parks built around the world. I can't say exactly where, although we've said publicly we've been in discussions about Shanghai for a long time. That will end up getting resolved fairly soon. There are three or four entities in the world, locations with money, that are looking for site-based entertainment, I'll call them theme parks but they won't necessarily be along the same lines as parks we've built before. I would guess, not necessarily in the next few months, but in the next year to two years that we will commit to creating a new concept or some entity outside the U.S.

Rest of the article touches on animation, selling ABC shows on the iPod, and the culture of Disney. It's on the Wall Street Journal website, though I believe you have to be a paying member to read it. (I'm not going to post the whole article here for obvious reasons).
That's cool. I can't wait.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
so... more half-assed Disneylands for rapidly developing economies?

Tim G

FourFourSeven said:

Mr. Iger: We're not currently planning that.
I've been telling this for at least 1 year now... but what the heck... no one believes Corrus... :( :mad: :mad:

bgraham34

They will build new parks in Florida when the ones around the world crash and burn.

I think new parks will be in MainLand China, Russia, India.

Lee

Adventurer
Just to clarify before someone jumps to the wrong conclusion and freaks out...he is not ruling out new rides, there are definately new rides coming to the existing parks.

Tim G

bgraham34 said:
They will build new parks in Florida when the ones around the world crash and burn.

I think new parks will be in MainLand China, Russia, India.
Read my lips... [. N o . M o r e . P a r k s . I n . T h e . U S A .] :D

Since1976

The last thing Disney needs is to dilute their theme park business by overbuilding.

I remember sitting eating lunch in a Planet Hollywood, ca. 1997, and watching a promotional video on one of the video screens they had set up. It showed the plans for seeminglly dozens of new restaurants around the world.

I remarked to my friends, "Um, I don't think expansion is such a good idea when they haven't achieved a foothold with the restaurants they already have." Not much later, they filed for Chapter 11.

This is one of the reasons I'm glad that Disney's America never got built. While part of me would have loved to have a Disney park just a short drive away from me, I'm sure my trips to WDW would have decreased and my appetite for all things Disney would have diminished.

wdwishes2005

Since1976 said:
The last thing Disney needs is to dilute their theme park business by overbuilding.

I remember sitting eating lunch in a Planet Hollywood, ca. 1997, and watching a promotional video on one of the video screens they had set up. It showed the plans for seeminglly dozens of new restaurants around the world.

I remarked to my friends, "Um, I don't think expansion is such a good idea when they haven't achieved a foothold with the restaurants they already have." Not much later, they filed for Chapter 11.

This is one of the reasons I'm glad that Disney's America never got built. While part of me would have loved to have a Disney park just a short drive away from me, I'm sure my trips to WDW would have decreased and my appetite for all things Disney would have diminished.
Exactly, Disney does NOT need to become an international six flags.

Tim G

wdwishes2005 said:
Fine with me, maybe Iger will stop adding parks to other countries and upgrade the ones we already have.
Expanding and market share are the Keywords nowadays...

wdwishes2005

:brick:
Corrus said:
Expanding and market share are the Keywords nowadays...
:brick: I think we should all put up a collection, collectively buy 51% of the shares, and then use them to force Disney to obey the WDWmagic members.....:lookaroun

Trufan

And Eisner was so bad, why? Even if they didn't have anything on the drawing boards for expanding parks, Eisner would never, ever say something like this.

Anyone want to place bets on when the "kick Iger out" bandwagon will start?

One thing is for sure: George Bodenheimer needs to be promoted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom