Iger’s $17 Billion Walt Disney World Investment

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The plot thickens.

WDW employed 74,000 cast members June 2016 (https://wsvn.com/news/local/disney-donates-1-million-to-help-those-affected-by-orlando-massacre/), which is before the vast majority of the spending last decade.

I'm not even sure how temp jobs are being counted.

So, that 15,000 increase in cast members may require accelerated investment after all. There are several concepts of "investment," from what I can see.
Sure sounds like you’re telling yourself what you want to hear…

doctornick

I find all this talk about investing 17 billion in WDW rather interesting and wishful thinking. Disney is like the government ---we're going to invest X amount of dollars over the next 10 years and administrations change and nothing ever happens. Disney is no different when Iger is gone or the economy takes a down turn the 17 billion will be forgotten. I guess its fun to speculate why could be.

They invested a decent amount - not even as much - in the past decade in WDW. And the resort is obviously different as a result. some would argue that the changes are not necessarily improvements or did not address WDW needs - which is fair concerns - but to me it is pretty undeniable that "things have happened". Stuff like the DHS attractions/lands, Pandora, Future World changes, Skyliner, new shows, additions of Tron/Ratatouille. Again, I'm not saying that the changes were necessarily "better" but it is clear work has been done and money spent.

So, if the $17B (or more) actually happens, I am certain we'll see significant stuff happen at WDW.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They invested a decent amount - not even as much - in the past decade in WDW. And the resort is obviously different as a result. some would argue that the changes are not necessarily improvements or did not address WDW needs - which is fair concerns - but to me it is pretty undeniable that "things have happened". Stuff like the DHS attractions/lands, Pandora, Future World changes, Skyliner, new shows, additions of Tron/Ratatouille. Again, I'm not saying that the changes were necessarily "better" but it is clear work has been done and money spent.

So, if the $17B (or more) actually happens, I am certain we'll see significant stuff happen at WDW.
Replacements are not automatically “enhancements”…or to be more accurate - they may be “blunted” by the fact a lot of it is to sidestep maintenance and mothballing

UNCgolf

I think it’s boosted the rack rates for the affected hotels?

To an extent, but the rack rate at Port Orleans is still higher than Caribbean Beach for some dates (and sometimes just corresponding room types), so who knows how big of an effect it's actually had.

No Name

All good. I'm a bit wound up today due to work, so I apologize for my tone.
No worries at all.

The plot thickens.

WDW employed 74,000 cast members June 2016 (https://wsvn.com/news/local/disney-donates-1-million-to-help-those-affected-by-orlando-massacre/), which is before the vast majority of the spending last decade.

I'm not even sure how temp jobs are being counted.

So, that 15,000 increase in cast members may require accelerated investment after all. There are several concepts of "investment," from what I can see.
I don’t think the number of cast members really has much to do with the level of capital expenditure, or at least, I’m not understanding why you think this to be true.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
No worries at all.

I don’t think the number of cast members really has much to do with the level of capital expenditure, or at least, I’m not understanding why you think this to be true.
I agree, total number of employees doesn't seem to have anything to do with capex levels. My only guess is there is extrapolation coming from the previously-announced $17 billion investment and 13k jobs attached to that announcement.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
We laugh…but you are probably 95% close to the mark
That's the sad part. It's meant in jest, but it probably hits closer to the truth than we realize. I have no doubts that some MBA twit somewhere thought adding the gondola meant they could eventually charge $300+ per night for Pop and $500+ per night at CBR. I bet they even had a chart to back it up. Because... "unprecendented demand", undying guest loyalty, no price ceiling, and all that. Make the case based on the rosiest of rosy projections and sell it as reality.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's the sad part. It's meant in jest, but it probably hits closer to the truth than we realize. I have no doubts that some MBA twit somewhere thought adding the gondola meant they could eventually charge $300+ per night for Pop and $500+ per night at CBR. I bet they even had a chart to back it up. Because... "unprecendented demand", undying guest loyalty, no price ceiling, and all that. Make the case based on the rosiest of rosy projections and sell it as reality.
That is EXACTLY what Bobism told them

It’s collapsing…not all believe it yet - but they will.

Every day lost now is gonna make it worse. They need full court press damage control.

But they’re stubborn and paralyzed by the stock ticker

Which by way everyone…WE’RE IN THE SWINGING $70s!!!

Last edited:

Tha Realest

Which by way everyone…WE’RE IN THE SWINGING $70s!!!
1695848556791.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom