If you were relocating. . .

GoofyJeff

With retirement coming up in a few years, we started looking around and liked Hunters Creek, south of Orlando on 417, about mid-way between MCO and WDW. Nice homes and yards, and reasonably priced.

freesvoice

With retirement coming up in a few years, we started looking around and liked Hunters Creek, south of Orlando on 417, about mid-way between MCO and WDW. Nice homes and yards, and reasonably priced.
Care to share home costs? In laws have been tossing around retiring in FL and it would be nice to know.

djjohng

For me, I prefer Windermere and Winter Garden. I currently live in Windermere out on 535 and Reams. There is very little tourist traffic there, though there is some. My area there are a lot of cast members going to and from the Magic Kingdom cast lot, but move a bit north and it's not too bad.

I moved from the Detroit area four years ago and I find the housing prices to be about on par with the suburbs from the D, but property taxes are lower in comparison. There's also a lot of new retail areas popping up which is nice. You're close to I-4 and Disney. A bit north of me you can get on the 429 which can take you west past Disney to I-4, or east to the Turnpike which can connect you to the 408 to get downtown.

With Irma, there was very little damage, just smaller, more recently planted trees tipped over.

rob0519

celebration, location, location, centrally located to both coasts and of course Disney, universal, sea world. And hurricane protected!

We looked at Celebration years ago, probably around 2002 or so. I still have the several home builders brochures and plans. At the time is was incredibly expensive and we gave moving very serious thought. For multiple reasons we chose to stay near Chicago. We finally went back in 2016 to see how it's changed in the 15 or so years. It's attractive and the trees have matured, but it just seemed really crowded and looked like many upscale suburbs scattered around the country. If the idea of moving to Florida ever came up again, we would probably look at Celebration, but would definitely include other areas as well.

GoofyJeff

Yes, we looked at Windermere, too. Very nice, but not as good access to Orlando. Not important to us, but the OP mentioned Orlando. :)

disneyworlddad

Original Poster
Thank you all for the input. I don't think housing prices would allow me to move to Windermere or Winter Park but they sure do look nice.

thomas998

If you needed to be in the general Orlando area, maybe within an hour N NE E or SE what areas would you look at and why?
Probably near Ocala to the north. Close to a very nice state park and cheaper cost of living.... Though honestly I would probably move even further north even if it was more than an hour away because I would want to be as far away from hurricane hot spots as possible. I remember living south of Miami and the hurricane insurance was insanely expensive. Granted it was an older home that didn't have all the newer mitigation improvements, but it was just under 11,000/year. High enough I can see why some people don't get it.

Frankly I don't know if I could justify living really close simply because the cost of living there would be so high.

Eric H

Go for Golden Oaks.
Then, tell me how I can get rich and move there too.

Golden Oaks is a great place to live. I'm not going to pretend it's not expensive, because it is, but it is a phenomenal community and there are some really wonderful people that live there.

roj2323

I did this 4 years ago. I live in Lakeland which is 35 minutes via I-4 to the DHS parking lot. Property is cheap and Property taxes are even cheaper. I picked up my place (900 Sqft+ a 2 car garage) for $45K and property taxes are less than $400 a year......seriously. If you are looking for a slightly nicer area Winter Haven is nice but even though it's closer to WDW it is a longer drive due to backroads.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom