If you couldn't go to Disney...where else would you go?

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Hi all! :wave:

So here is a crazy question for you! I am assuming that most of you are like I am that if you had your choice to go on vacation, you would choose Disney! My DH and I are like this! But we got to thinking...where else would you go?

Here is the scenario: So my DH and I like to go away for a week at a time - to really feel like we have really gotten away. My brother is moving to San Fran in July and could potentially be moving there permanently. My DH and I will go out there once it is permanent - so that puts Disneyland and the Walt Disney Museum on hold for a bit. We want to take a Disney Cruise - and are waiting to 2012 for the NYC port b/c that is so much easier for us to get to. Eventually, we will do a 2 week trip across the country and a 2 week trip to Europe, and will get to the DVC Hawaii. And finally, we are not lay on the beach kind of people. We do not like to just go and veg. We like to be active.

So at this point, we can't actually think of where else to go or what other vacations there are to take. So even though we love to go to Disney, we can't actually think of any other places to go.

So my question to you is this - if not Disney - where else would you go? :wave:

JillC LI

Oh my, there are so many places to go and so many sights to see. We live in NY and generally alternate one year at Disney, one year elsewhere.
We've done weekend trips to Cape Cod, Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket, Hershey Park (PA), and Washington DC.
We've done longer trips within the US to California and Las Vegas.
We've spent time in the Canadian Rockies which was absolutely gorgeous.
We've seen a fair bit of Europe (there's far more than you can see on a two week trip).
Prior to meeting DH, I travelled to New Zealand and Australia.
This year we're going on a family cruise for the first time to the Caribbean. We not sit-on-the-beach lovers, but I like to sight-see and shop at each port.
Our last non-Disney trip was one of a lifetime - safari in South Africa! I highly recommend that.
And there's so much more we want to do. I think an Alaskan cruise and another trip to Europe are next on our to-do list over the next couple of years. I adore Disney, and I'm currently suffering from SERIOUS Disney withdrawal, but I can't imagine not travelling to other places in the world as well. There's just too much out there!
:wave:

Upvote 0

tikiman

Its the same here, since I was born and raised right here in the DC metro area I am always like seriously?? Everyone is coming here? But then I think about all that the area does have to offer. And I tend to forget just where I live...

I loved seeing DC :)

It is strange to live where people vacation. I live and work in the heart of wine country California and when we go to lunch we are in a town that is all tourists visiting the wineries. It is strange to see everyone on vacation when you live and work here. The big problem is all the places cost so much to eat because of all the tourism.

Upvote 0

BrittanyRose428

Exactly, there's tons of history here and great scenery. I'm trying to squeeze in a North Conway, NH trip this summer. We're staying local this summer (my sister is getting married in September so that cut into our Disney budget).
I've actually been thinking about going to North Conway next summer because ironically, I live in NH for most of the year and I've never been. As for squeezing in trips though my boyfriend and I have basically been taking day trips every other week or so to make up for not having any kind of real vacation until... 2013 (with each other anyways), we've done most of the touristy things in Boston, Plimoth Plantation, Battleship Cove in Fall River, nothing too expensive since they've all been just day trips, and we even packed a lunch for Plimoth Plantation and Battleship Cove to avoid spending money on food there :lol: Also I notice you're on Lynn, I'm in Saugus!

Upvote 0

H2Opolo15

Croatia!
croatia-001.jpg

Upvote 0
One of my favorite places to go is to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg TN. Many people think it is very boring and nothing is there but totally the opposite! In Gatlinburg you have the Great Smoky Mts to go and explore. Also, teh town of Gatlinburg has aquariums, shops, mini golf, and etc. Next store is Pigeon Forge where there is Dollywood, Zorbs, Titantic Musuem and plently of roadside attractions!! We stayed there for a week last summer and couldn't fit everything in and will be going back later this year!

Upvote 0

Dads 2 Boys

Washington, DC was an amazing trip for us and we took my kids who were 8 & 11 at the time. We all loved it so much and you have to experience the zoo (and specifically the Pandas). All the Smithsonian museums and the monuments were a huge hit with my boys too. We stayed in College Park, MD a mile form a Metro station because driving in DC is nuts.

Upvote 0

Plutoguy

First of there are many places to go and visit that are just outstanding to do and see. Here is my list to help you out a bit:

1) White Mountains of New Hanshire. (Mt Washinton, Kangamangus Highway one of the top 12 scenic highways in America)
2) Go to Calgary Canada when the Calgary Stampede Rodeo is under way. Giant county fair, County Music performers and of course the Bigest Rodeo of them all in North America
3) California for sure from Napa Valley to the Giant Red Wood Forrest, Yes Disney, Hollwood, throw in Monteray bay and Sandiego and there zoo.
4) Grand Canyon in Arizona, Old Tombstoine and Colasel Cave
5) Las Vegas & Reno, Then drive out to California from there.
6) Nashville, Grande Ol Opry, Dolly Wood and so on
7) Florida Keys, Snorkling, Fishing Beach, visit the Dry Tortugas
8) Colonial Williamsburgh and Bush Gardens Fun place to visit and see
9) Yellowstone Park. Tremdous beauty and scenary like you have ever seen in the USA.
10 Alaska

THis is my top ten places to do and see outside of Disney that couples and family go crazy over once they get there and experience it. I could add a few others as well.

Upvote 0

knnyrobb

We love Myrtle Beach SC. And also we love to take trips to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. We are only about 2 and a half hours from there... Love going for a few days and even sometimes for a day trip

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
Original Poster
Washington, DC was an amazing trip for us and we took my kids who were 8 & 11 at the time. We all loved it so much and you have to experience the zoo (and specifically the Pandas). All the Smithsonian museums and the monuments were a huge hit with my boys too. We stayed in College Park, MD a mile form a Metro station because driving in DC is nuts.

hee hee I agree - but I live 6 miles away from DC, in Alexandria. :lol:

Upvote 0

JarJarJedi

There are so many places that I've been and would love to go back to.

My mom has her own business, and she sells her things out of craft malls. (We rent a space, they take care of it and we have to pay a precentage of sales.) I'm spoiled, because I get to go with my mom sometimes, and we go anywhere from Maine, to Maryland, to Wisconsin. But there aren't too many times that we get to go and just have fun, for work is involved.

Places that I do enjoy going (for my mom has to go there to restock our booths):

~Maine: We usually just go to Kittery, but there are sometimes that we go and drive up the coast a little ways. I've been up there many times, and would go back there in a heartbeat, for I love it up there. We went to Acadia National Park last summer... just as beautiful as I remember. That's my favorite National Park.

~The White Mountains of New Hampshire: I'll echo Plutoguy... Mt. Washington and The Kancamagus Highway are musts. Driving to the top of the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi is awesome, I only hope it is a clear day. (It wasn't when we went up there a long time ago.) We were up there one time in the fall right after the first snow. It was something to see the snow on top of the mountains there. If you like railroads, there is one that goes up Mt. Washington, and another one that you can take through the countryside. When you go down the Kanacamagus Highway, make sure you can pull off as much as you can. The scenery is beautiful, and there is one point where you can see Mt. Washington. We drive through the mountains of Pennsylvania often, but the White Mountains of NH do not compare!

~Gettysburg, PA: If you are a history buff, or even if you like history, this is a very interesting place. Where you stand, thousands of people died in a battle that lasted only 3 days. The memorials that they have honoring the fallen are beautiful.

~Lancaster, PA: Now, when people think of Amish, they think of the Pennsylvania Dutch and Lancaster. :rolleyes: I've been to Lancaster quite a few times, and I've never seen any Amish. (I hear that you have to travel the backroads to find them, and they aren't very friendly.) But there are two outlet malls to go shopping at (and a huge Coach Outlet store ;)), plus a small amusement park. We were there one weekend where there were a bunch of old cars cruising down Rt. 30. It was something to drive around and see all the people that set up chairs on the side of the road to sit and watch the old cars coming down the street.

~Ocean City, MD: Just make sure you don't go down around graduation time, for there are a lot of Seniors there. oy. I don't know why I like Ocean City so much, maybe it's because it's the only beach that I've been to lately that I've been able to go swimming and not freeze my butt off. But if you do go, you have to make a stop at The Kite Loft. They have tons of kites there, of every shape and size.

~Ohio's Amish Country: Now this is Amish country. This is the world's largest Amish community, and Lancster has nothing on this. There are so many back roads that you can go down, and each is as interesting as the next. Okay, so maybe I'm biased, as I live not to far away. :p

~Wisconsin Dells: This is another tourist destination, for the world's largest waterpark is located here. But if you like theme parks, head over to Mt. Olympus Water and Theme park... make sure you ride Hades, you won't regret it.

Other places:

~Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio: One must go here at least once in their life. If you love rollor coasters, you have to get your butt to Ohio and go to Cedar Point.

~Cuyahoga Valley National Park, North of Akron, Ohio: This park started as a National Recreational Area, but was made a National Park (Ohio's first!) in the early 2000s. It follows the old Ohio and Erie canal, and they've put a bike trail alongside it. (The bike trail also goes way past the park boundries in boath directions.) Again, if you like railroads, there is another train here that you can ride as well.

~Yellowstone NP and Grand Teton NP: Not to be missed. Yellowstone is my second favorite NP. I've been there twice now, and I can't wait to go back.

~Yosemite NP: Another awe-inspiring place. Not to be missed

~The Grand Canyon: It speaks for itself.

~Alaska: We went there on a cruise nearly 15 years ago. I got the flu on our cruise, so I missed a few stops, so I need to go back. This is another place where there is just so much beauty to take in. Again, there is another railroad there that takes you into Canada that was a fun trip.

~Durango, CO: This is on here for the Durango-Silverton RR... another awesome trip and a must see. (My dad's side of the family loves railroads, what can I say? :))

~I'd love to go back to any NP out west... Arches, Canyonlands, Bryce, Capital Reef, Zion, Dinasour, Mt. Rushmore, Glacier, etc... They are National Parks for a reason!

~The Canadian Rockies: Banff and Jasper National Parks for sure. This is where I first walked on a glacier! (Sadly, I don't think those pictures that my sister and I took turned out. :() Make sure you get to Lake Louise while you are there.

~The East Coast of Canada: PEI, Nova Scotia, and New Brunswick: Anyplace here, you can't go wrong, espically Fundy National Park.

I'd love to make it to Scotland, Ireland, the UK, Germany, and Italy as well.

Sorry for the long post. :eek: My family loves to travel and I've had wonderful times during my travels. I know I've missed a few, but there is so much in this world to see.

Upvote 0

KaneMarko

Hi all! :wave:

So here is a crazy question for you! I am assuming that most of you are like I am that if you had your choice to go on vacation, you would choose Disney! My DH and I are like this! But we got to thinking...where else would you go?

Here is the scenario: So my DH and I like to go away for a week at a time - to really feel like we have really gotten away. My brother is moving to San Fran in July and could potentially be moving there permanently. My DH and I will go out there once it is permanent - so that puts Disneyland and the Walt Disney Museum on hold for a bit. We want to take a Disney Cruise - and are waiting to 2012 for the NYC port b/c that is so much easier for us to get to. Eventually, we will do a 2 week trip across the country and a 2 week trip to Europe, and will get to the DVC Hawaii. And finally, we are not lay on the beach kind of people. We do not like to just go and veg. We like to be active.

So at this point, we can't actually think of where else to go or what other vacations there are to take. So even though we love to go to Disney, we can't actually think of any other places to go.

So my question to you is this - if not Disney - where else would you go? :wave:

What else is there if not Disney? :) Just kidding. Outside of Disney, one of the places we'd like to go to is Atlantis. Those Atlantis commercials look pretty cool and it seems like there is a lot to do down there like snorkeling and such. So if not Disney I'd probably go to someplace like Atlantis.

Upvote 0

Jay & Sue

A great way to get to see some of Alaska and Canada is to board the Alaska state ferry at Bellingham, Washington. Take the ferry to the first stop, get off, and spend a day or so there. Then grab the next ferry to the next town and do the same thing. Once you get to Skagway, head off through Canada to see the interior of Alaska if you want to (and brought your vehcile along) or head back south again on the ferry to Bellingham. It is quite inexpensive while on the ferry and you will have a great time. On the rerturn leg when you reach Prince Rupert, Canada you can get off the ferry and head home through Banff and Lake Louise which is another great experience.

Upvote 0

tink65

Top of my list would be Key West. We had a one day port of call there when we went on a cruise last September. My entire family fell in love with the area! We'd love to take a couple of days for the drive down then just stay for the week!

Upvote 0

katexo

Well, I absolutely love the Lake Champlain region of VT/NY however Id probably want to go somewhere new and different so id combine two of my favorite things, art and food!
I would love to go on an art and food tour of Europe, mainly focusing around Italy and France.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom