If you could upgrade ??

maddiesmommy

:sohappy: Family and I are going down to POR in November, we won't be able to go again for a couple years, I really want to upgrade to a deluxe. IF you could stay at any deluxe, which one and why ? Thanks !!

kennygman

In this order:
1. Grand
2. Poly
3. Wilderness
4. Beach Club, Yacht Club or Boardwalk
5. Animal Kingdom
6. Contemporary - looks like a cheap 1970's hospital to me

Upvote 0

slk212

Actually we were just at the POR this past May and it was great:) !
But, if I had to choose a Deluxe, I'd probably go with the Poly.
I like the atmosphere, pool looks great, right on the monorail, there are
a lot of reasons I guess but, I kinda like the "Hawaiian" theme. Also,
I'm not sure if the whole place has been remodeled but, from what I've
read it's had major rehab recently.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

We have stayed at 4 deluxes, Poly, GF, Contemporary and YC. In order of our preference:

1. Poly (our first love, watching fireworks from the beach, directly across from MK, monorail, laid back atmosphere etc., new rooms are awesome)
2. Contemporary (walking distance to MK, Grand Canyon concourse, monorail etc.)
3. GF (first stop is MK on the monorail, prestige, elegant feel)
4. YC (location to Epcot and MGM can't be beat)

Our complaint to YC was the food/snack issue, where do you get a light breakfast or late night snack? The bakery thing at the BC was too crowded in the morning. Captain Cook's at the Poly and Food and Fun Center at CR are open 24/7 for a snack. GF felt a bit stuffy at times I'm sure because we are used to the relaxed atmosphere at the Poly.

Our recent 8/9-8/16 vacation was to be at the Contemporary but 3 weeks before we were to leave, we changed the reservation to the Poly because my cousin was planning on proposing and thought the beach at the Poly would be the best place to do it. He ended up proposing during Wishes at the MK in the Plaza Rose Garden. (BTW, she said yes.)

Upvote 0

E_Blackadder

My wife would kill me for saying this, but I would go for the Poly. I don't relax easily, and this is the one resort that gets me to do that. Just laying on the beach by Tahiti and watching the ferry go to MK. So nice. My wife would go for the GF instead. Either one is a sure hit, but overall I've found the Poly more enjoyable. You really do feel like you are in another world.

Upvote 0

sbkline

Probably in this order:

1. Animal Kingdom Lodge
2. Polynesian
3. Wilderness Lodge (although I'm not sure which order 2 and 3 should be in)
4. Contemporary

Upvote 0

poohbear6103

Nothing beats the Poly, in all aspects. It has a laid back atmosphere the other deluxes don't have. Plus there is something to be said about taking a nap on a hammock with island music in the background:)

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

Hey, you guys have great taste! :animwink: :lol:

Seriously, the Poly always gets my vote hands-down (duh.) I have never stayed at the Grand Floridian, we almost did for our honeymoon but just couldn't get ourselves to fork out the extra money, since we love the Poly so much...other than that I think I have stayed at all the deluxes, or almost...and they're all awesome.

If I *had* to rank them? I think it would look like this:

1. Poly
2. Contemporary (and/or possibly GF based on what I know about it.)
3. Yacht/Beach (Sweet pool, good "neighborhood". :lol: )
4. AKL (Pretty nice, a bit spread out. We got to stay there the very first night it was open! Which was pretty amazing.)
5. BW (I know this sounds insane, I honestly have been to WDW so many times in the last 10 years I cannot *remember* if I stayed there or not. I know we had reservations booked once but we might have changed our minds and gone w/YC and just *visited* the BW...)
6. WL (Only because I live up north and we have a lot of hotels that, while not as nice as WL, have very similar themeing. Good proximity to the MK for a nicer price than the 3 Monorail Resorts.)

Of course, like I said, they're all amazing. Saying WL is "the worst" is not really fair, it's just...not as MUCH of a favorite! :animwink: :lol:

Upvote 0

sandman50

With your 4yr old maybe Y&BC with the awesome pool area could be a deciding factor.
Poly right there for reasons stated before.
Won't be dissapointed with POR either.

Have fun.

rich

Upvote 0

campdisney

With your 4yr old maybe Y&BC with the awesome pool area could be a deciding factor.

Be careful with that though. We snuck a swim at the Y&BC pool while my sister & BIL were staying there (we were at CB). The lifeguard would not let my youngest, age 6 then, go on the big slide because he wasn't a strong enough swimmer to swim his way out at the bottom. The guard gave him a little swim test & everything. We adults understood it of course, but this was a MAJOR disappointment for the poor kid. My son didn't have a fit or anything but it was kind of funny after a while. He kept giving that particular lifeguard the silent "stink eye" for like two hours -- no matter what station the poor guard rotated to at the pool!

If I were to upgrade, I'd definately choose the Polynesian. I love that hotel: the theming, the relaxed atmosphere, seeing the castle & fireworks from the beach, the monorail access. The kids always ask if we can stay there again. And if we had the money, we would do so in a heartbeat!

The only negative to our stay at the Poly: no hot tub -- but maybe they've put one in since 2004 when we were last there.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom